Hot Glue

Geoff Smith 1

Hiya all. Whilst mooching about in the garage I found a Hot Glue gun which I forgot I had. On reflection I haven't seen hot glue mentioned as a building aid. Does anyone use these or should I leave it where it is to fester. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Advert

Hot glue is handy stuff. On smaller models you can even glue servos in! And its foam friendly.

Last year I built a small Britflite seaplane - hot glue is great stuff for making water tight glue joints. Their kits use it extensively.

Its not really structurally strong - like an expoxy - but if low, or no, loads are involved and you just want to stick something down - very handy. It also peels off cleanly, so you can get things out as well.

So, get your hot glue gun out Geoff - once its there you'll find all sorts of uses for it!

BEB

It certainly is used in the modelling world - Multiplex suggest using it for attaching servos in such models as the Easyglider.

I don't use mine very often as the stringiness is a bit of a pain but it's another weapon in the armoury.......

Pete

Posted by Alan C on 08/03/2011 20:06:12:
very handy for sticking skirting boards on, but i have not seen any modelling useage

As I said BritFlite advocate its use - again a foam model but hot glue certainly does have its uses. I built the H2O a year ago - still going strong with the entire tail and all the servos stuck in with hot glue.

BEB

Nothing better for fixing servos in foamies (EPS too, but don't touch the foam with the hot gun nozzle). Just press the servo into the moulded recess and a small blob of hot glue on each lug makes it firm and strong. I always use it.

However I have found that the quality (properties) of glue sticks varies considerably, but happily there is reasonable standardisation in the size of them. My glue gun is NuTool but I use Wickes brand glue sticks for preference. The more opaque the sticks are the better they seem to be.

Posted by Alan C on 09/03/2011 20:31:50:
so, it looks like its better for the foam guys, than the traditional wooden heads, fair enough, i always thought had no uses for us,

Then maybe you have so far missed out...............buy a variable temperature gun that takes the smaller diameter sticks and experiment, you'll be surprised what it can do, and away from foam such as Depron and on wood you can crank up the temperature and that limits the stringing effect of premature cooling. Higher temperature equals thinner bead equals more strength as well. Being a resilient type joint even when cooled, it's really good around undercarriage strengthening and high impact stress areas