How to connect an ESC with 2 leads coming from it (inc UBEC)

ericrw

Help needed ! I've just received my 50amp esc with a 5amp ubec for my FMS Mustang. But it's not straight forward as the esc has a wire, black/red/white with a receiver plug but so has the ubec. So which one do I put in the receiver and what do I do with the other one. Eric.

With a separate BEC you have to remove the red connection from the ESC lead. You can cut it or just pull the pin out and tape it up (in case you want to use the integrated BEC supply later on in another application). The ESC now connects to the Rx Throttle channel only by the -ve and the Data wires.

If I disconnect the red wire from the ESC lead and connct it to the throttle on the receiver; it still leaves me with the lead coming from the UBEC and where do I connect that lead?? I've hopefully uploaded a photo to show the leads coming from the ESC & UBEC. Thanks Eric.

I never like to cut the red wire on the ESC nor remove it from the plug in case I want to use the built-in BEC on the ESC at some later stage. So instead I remove the red wire completely from a short servo extension lead and plug that into the throttle channel on the receiver and plug the ESC lead into that - so the effect is the same as removing the red wire without actually doing it.

As the RX can no longer get power from the ESC, the plug from the UBEC goes into the Battery socket on the (Spektrum) RX (or any other spare channel) to power the RX.

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 09/03/2011 15:18:13:
I never like to cut the red wire on the ESC nor remove it from the plug in case I want to use the built-in BEC on the ESC at some later stage.

If you lift the tab, slide the pin out and cover it up/tape it out of the way then there's nothing to stop you sliding it back in if you want to use the integral BEC.

Yes you must get power to both the ESC and the UBEC from the battery. The UBEC powers the receiver, and the ESC powers the motor.

The UBEC has no connection to the motor, only the ESC has that. But by eliminating the red wire to the RX the ESC cannot give power to the RX so the UBEC powers the RX instead. That's the whole point of the UBEC.

The receiver (powered by the UBEC) receives input from your TX throttle stick and gives the instruction to the ESC to turn on/off and control the power it gives to the motor.

The only other alternative is to power the UBEC from a separate RX battery pack, which doesn't make much sense as you might as well use a basic small 4.8V RX battery and not use a UBEC at all.  UBEC saves the need for (and weight of) a separate RX battery pack but separates the BEC from the ESC so that if your ESC failed (eg. thermal cut-out) your would still have control-surface control to do a dead-stick landing.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 09/03/2011 16:06:51

• 2 months later...
Posted by eric loakes on 10/05/2011 09:28:17:
David, I ended up by putting the ubec lead into the Batt/Bind aperture. of my receiver. Everything has proved to be successful and she ( Mustang ) flies great ! Hope this helps !! Eric.

Be careful of this...some UBECs can present what is effectively a short across the two outside leads....and the receiver is then put into bind mode.

Its only an issue with a few BEC units, very often the white wire is not even connected to anything. If, after plugging it all togeher, your Rx does not enter bind mode, then you are OK. If it does, then you could simply use a Y lead on any other channel, and connect into that