heat sealing iron

Hi Guys,
I have just come by a fairly new Coverite heat sealing iron fitted with a continental type two pin plug,can anyone tell me the operating voltage of this iron?

I'm suspecting it 110v because it looks likes a shaver plug.

Jim

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 30/03/2011 22:49:44

Advert

Can you beg borrow or steal a 110V building site transformer and try it on that first? If it's 110V then it will heat up to working temperature - if it doesn't then it would be a fair bet that it's designed for our mains voltage.

...and with a 2 pin plug, if it doesn't state "Double Insulated" somewhere, make sure you have an RCD!

If it is 110, get one of these, and wire it up to the end of an extension, I have seen them for £10 ish and it will work fine.

It seemed fine only needed to drill 2 holes and I wasn`t going to hire a tranny for that!, just poked the wires in and taped them there

Are you being serious, Dan?

"230V & 115V. Incorporates a double-wound isolating transformer rated 20VA"

20 VA !!!!  which equates to 20 W assuming a pure resistive load from an iron.

That's either a seriously tiny hammer drill or you're lucky you didn't blow your transformer in milliseconds,,,

If my 165 W covering iron is typical, Jim would be overloading in excess of 8 times - and I expect your hammer drill is twice that again even allowing for power factor!  They must have been very small holes you drilled.

I would certainly advise against trying it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/03/2011 17:28:26

• 3 weeks later...
Jim, that's certainly a US/Canadian plug - so 99.999% certainty that it's designed for 110volts. Don't plug it into a 240v socket unless you like loud noises and indoor fireworks...

I have a 110v film iron too. I run mine off a plug-in adaptor that claims to be rated for 1650W. I have no idea where I acquired the adaptor, and I must have bought it around 15 to 20 years ago! The label says, "Traveller Int Products Ltd. Telex 295868 London UK" It's described on the label as "Convertor + Built-in Foreign Adaptors"

This is the nearest equivalent I can find to it. It too is rated at 1650W for "heating-type appliances" or only 50W for "small electronics, motorized appliances."

John.

No way am I putting 240v on this iron,It is as you say a 110v jobbie and it needs a step down transfomer.

I have two 240 irons so if I could test the 110 job and its ok its staight on ebay.

Found a site for the adaptors and they are about £18.

Might just hang the toaster in series with it and see what happens ????

Jim

Formatting all looks fine to me too. What browser are you using FTB?

I wonder if it's Jims pics in the first post that are causing the problem? They're obviously not posted quite right as it's one pic appearing twice, the link to the full-size image is broken and there's a spare bit of text saying "" width="350" alt="" />" knocking around! Maybe you're seeing the full-size image which is 640px wide?

Edited By John Privett on 30/03/2011 22:38:37