SC 46 constant dead sticks

Paul Marshall

I have a SC 46 with about 3hrs running and its constantly cutting out im running cool power at 10% and the tank appears to have no leaks.The needle is constantly adjusted by myself and other club flyers to no avail!!! it is fitted in a protech skystar

Best guess is a air leak somwhere!

What does every one else think????

Thanx Paul

P.S it will cut at full tank but tends to do it 10 mins into a flight!

Advert

Is the tank height correct, are there any pinholes in the tank lines inside the tank, is the clunk folding over ( I always insert a length of plastic /brass tube up into the clunk line to stop this ) is it overheating, is the idle setting correct, any head screws loose, carby loose, throttle rotor screw in place, have you tried a NEW plug?

I had a similar problem a month or so after buying this motor.  After some time we identified that one of the screws that retain the carb had come out.  It wasn't obvious as it was the side covered by the needle adjustment.

Once replaced, the motor was back on song.

Could be an air leak....check all screws as suggested....also check backplate screws.

Are you using a remote needle ie one mounted at the back of the motor rather than straight into the carb? If so there another couple of things to check....splits in the conecting tube for example. Also worth checking for any foreign bodies.....we had one recently that had a bit of crud floating around...the motor ran fine until the dirt got into the jet & blocked it....oh yes we had some fun finding that.......!!

Take the blanking plug out of the carb (where the needle valve would fit) & take a look around.....you might find something in there!!!

If the motor has run fine for its first 3 hours it should be fixable.....my money is on a blockage. If its never run properly then something on the motor is duff.....

Good luck!!!

thanx!

I will check everything that you have all mentioned!the carb bolts stripped on first try i tryed to be as gentle as possible so i need to check the new bigger bolts im sure their depth is ok tho!

the needle is at the front again im gona follow all the tips replace all fuel lines and filter and install a hotter plug its had quite a few plugs allready lol.

im flying on sunday so i will post a report

nice to know a replacement carb is £15 iv come from Motocross (injured at mo) and everything iv bought is great value for money!im totaly hooked now!!!!!

iv also just bought a Kyasho Calamoto sport(low wing novice friendly) lol and a sc52 this engine on the re fitted mountings is way high so i will have to wait and see if it runs ok!!

Thanx again guys and happy landings!

Paul

• 4 months later...

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Paul - why didn't I buy an OS 46?  Simply because I had read a review which couldn't say enough wonderful things about the Evo 46 and I believed it!  There was a chap with an OS at the field yesterday and it gave no trouble.  He was a real beginner, did his 5th flight while i watched.

I will be wiser in future!  Reputations aren't easily earned and I should have taken that as a guide.  By the way, the more pressing problem is a new plane!  I trashed it this morning - big time - they say everyone has to do it sometime but I was just beginning to hope that I'd got away with it!

Hi Peter!

well i have got about 3 gallons of juice used up and i am on my 3rd plane which very nearly 'bit it' on Sunday much to the amusement of the lads. the wing moved on my trainer and it just went Kamikazi i did get it down and promptly called it a day lol

Dont worry about crashing our field claims at least 2 planes a wkd(iv no idea if thats good or bad)!

Its part of the game at least it only injures the pocket not like my last motox accident which got me a nice helicopter ride to hospital.

I think SC suffers from quality control problems there either perfect or give trouble which novices cannot overcome!

What plane do you fancy next?

Paul

Peter,

I made the comment about SC quality due to the examples at the club! out of 5 SC's, 4 have been a problem and 1 has been perfect althings being equal they are expierenced modelers to, we came up with qaulity control as been the culprit! My SC 46 had all the club mystified and when it cut out the last time i flew i didnt get it down due to lack of expierence. So a OS it was!

We checked everything numerous times but to no avail !

Paul

All I can say is to repeat what I have said in other threads. Over the last 14 or so years I have used litereally dozens of SC engines from .12 to .46 two stroeks and .30 to .91 four strokes. Also several friends have used them. I have only ever had one faulty one.

Currently I am using three 15s, two .30 FS, and about five .32s with no problems. I have several more in the engine cabinet.

Ont he other hand I have had problems with O.S. FP and LA engines. Without changing anything else I have swapped them for an SC and cured the problem.

I can only speak as I find.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...