Aeromodelling Night Classes

I tested out a large modelling group about the possibility of the advanced members giving building instuctions to the learners, but no-one seemed interested.

With the large increase of ARTF flyers and the cost of kits, I beleive that only a few will know how to build in about 10 years time. Most mags don't seem interested in even reprinting my letters, one editor even suggested, that detailed instuctions, that fell short, in a mag could make the mag liable to litigation.

I have currently a garage full of either uncompleted models from plans, or damaged ARTF, that I don't seem to repair.

I would like to build from plans another model ideally, ina night school situation, or even an intensive weeks course, anyone interested.

Pete

We seem to live more in a world of cheap and disposable items, many of the ARTF's are not so cheap and if it's your chosen favorite that you ding it's a lot of money down the pan,My local model shop owner reports that we now have flyers that refer to the tailplane as the "back wing" each to his own I say, but what about the new starters and the often reluctance of fellow modellers at the field to impart that secret knwoledge...for us old balsa bashers (and I don't mean all of us)we seem to take it for granted that the new flyer will "get the knowledge"..but from who? unless we help these people with sound advise they will soon get hacked off and move onto some other sport,this can have a big impact on the retail industry and pricing.Yep I've helped numerous people with engine, building and covering problems, I don't profess to be the font of knowledge but when I was learning many years ago modellers seemed to want to help.

• 3 months later...
I ran the first ever adult education classes in aeromodelling back in 1974. If one can persuade the local adult education authorities to run such a course one can make a bit of extra cash from it.
More to the point and to answer Peter, There are good books out there, You can learn a lot from them, for example, "High Flying on a Low Budget" has a detailed chapter on repairing models while RCM&E used to have a book on building from plans.

The reason I asked about classes is that I do everything as the instructions say and then there is a problem. For instance I was making a super 60 kit, and it said fit a round tank. I looked everwere for one, and even tried forums, but no luck, so I had to modify the kit to fit a small square one, which changed the formers quite drastically, and the sheeting on top of the tank. I still haven't finished the kit. I also strip covered the tank sheeting instead of a sheet covering, as the sheet would not fit, so some heavy sanding was called for. I still wonder what is meant by a sooth finish, as another model suggested using 1000 grade wet and dry, but I find even 400 grade, used wet does not seem to shift any material.

The reason I would like a class is so that I could build a model, from plans with quidance from the 'teacher' and know how to solve problems on the way.

I am not too bothered what too build as I dable in r/c power and glider and have tried f/f to get some building in.

Peter

hi peter, sounds to me like you are not so backward at this building lark, you identified the problem and have got around the problem using the best compromise you could find, you modified and made do, i know it is disheartening when you cannot find the exact thing the kit or plan sugests, as is the case with some of the older ones as more often than not the parts are no longer in production, and the next best thing has to be made to fit,
i prefer to build from plans than any other way, i find that some kit manufacturers cut the balsa for economy rather than for strength, ie. cram as many parts from one sheet regardless of grain, i have not heard of any classes for this, if you get stuck i would have no probs in helping all i could vie email or phone,
There are too few people these days that want to build, they just artf and bin em when they meet with a large heavy object (planet earth). the building side of the hobby should be encouraged
phil

As phil says, You are learning the best way that there is, by doing. When I started I had no help and had to learn the hard way. Mind you, back in those days we started with very small simple models and built up, these days we start off with radio models. The Super 6o is quite a complex model and you are doing well.
On sanding, forget the very fine ones, Use coarse and medium grit aluminium oxide paper.
NEVER use it wet, that is for getting a finish on paintwork, the wet will just soak into balsa and do no good at all.
Round tanks used to rotate an twist the fuel lines unless secured properly.
I promise you that you will feel a wonderful sense of achievement when you get it finished.

To add to my last, I should have said Coarse medium and fine Aluminium Oxide paper, also called production paper.
You can buy packs from any DIY store, They contain 3 coarse (80 grit) for heavy removal, rough shaping of blocks etc, 4 medium (120 grit) and 3 fine (180 grit) You cn go finer than tat for final finishing. Tip: sand across the grain for fast wood removal, sand with the grain for a good finish.
The aluminium oxide lasts much longer than ordinary sandpaper. You can also stick it down to a sanding block with double sided cellotape.
You can email me if you want. I will also talk on the phone if you want

I've just finished my first "from plan" rc plane, having been a balsa basher as a kid, building things like the Keil Kraft Cadet/Pioneer and the like, but nothing more complicated than rubber power.
To get back into it I got a set of plans off E-bay which came with a build article. The plane and article relate to a 40" high wing vintage trainer for a size 15 engine by Mire Wray published in RCME. What a complete pleasure it has been to build. Granted, with he need to buy tools and those little bits of kit the plane has cost me a small fortune, but it has been both challenging and rewarding, such that I have already got the plans for builds 2 and 3 - a 50" Antonov AN 2 and a if that goes to plan a Mk 22 Dennis Bryant Spitfire. While a night class would be useful, I have found that on each occasion where I have become unsure of how to progress, a quick post on this site and I've had my query sorted. Best advice I had at the begining was not to bite off more than you can chew, thereby avoiding the half built pile of balsa which you promise yourself you will finish later.

• 3 months later...

I am still struggling with my solo attempt. I have been flying a arising star (well two) for about 3 years and seem to have trouble with the landing. I can usually get one good one and a few not so good. I was wondering about getting a bit of practice, with a super 60, but having trouble finishing  the KIT.

1)  Is it a good idea to try a simpler plane

2) I wondered about buying a Flair ARTF Junior 60, but it is a bit expensive, Does anyone know a cheaper ARTF even from america $100 perhaps

3) were can I get a cheap 2nd hand super 60 fuz. I have built the wing.

Peter 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...