Safe use of TX with ICD/pacemaker

Hi,
here's a tricky one I can't seem to find an answer to on the net.

My Dad has an ICD (sort of implanted defibrilator/pacemaker). Is it safe for him to use a TX?

I was thinking of getting him an RC car for his birthday so could be 27Mhz 40Mhz or 2.4Ghz. Does anybody know if any of these is better or worse, or are they all dangerous or safe?

Many thanks
Gary

Advert

To be totally certain you'd need to ask somebody who knows about the specific product your Dad has, but I very much doubt it would be a problem.

A similar question was asked recently on another forum and the concensus was that there should not be a problem. One of the regular posters on that forum himself has a pacemaker and has never had a problem (or been warned of one) with any r/c gear.

Logically, these devices need to be designed to cope with lots of r/f interference these days from all sorts of devices that are commonplace in most households. It would be rather limiting if a pacemaker-user had to ensure that nobody anywhere nearby ever operated a mobile phone, garage door opener, wifi router, kids' toy etc. etc.

Gary,

I don't think this is a question we can answer. It will depend a lot on the exact make and model of pace maker your Dad is fitted with. It is for sure that most brands of pace maker do give specific instructions about not placing aerials of modile phones within a certain distance. The same with other sources of RF.

The only people who I think can answer this are the either the manufacturers or the medics who installed it. If you can find the make/model there will probably be a website with information giving minimum distances for RF sources of different powers and bands.

BEB

I doubt if the doctors who fitted it would be able to answer, only the manufacturers would be able to give a trusted answer.

But just giving a little thought, a cell phone puts out far more power than an RC TX, and the normal and allowable leakage from a microwave oven on 2,4GHz is many times more than a 2.g RC TX. Even a plasma screen TV emits more RF than a RC TX, so the likely answer is good news.

Hi All,
I realise That there can be no definative answers on the forum., but thankyou all for taking the time to reply, all opinions are useful.

I think I saw the question posted on the other (inferior) forum in the course of researching this. The manufactureers of the ICD were testing the spektrum transmitters for safety........and no answer had as yet been posted.....unless of course any one has seen a more recent reply. Please let me know if you do.

I have tried asking the medics and technicians, but niether had any experience of RC equipment, but did however concur thatt he outputs are low enough to preclude serious risk. Thinking about it there is a plasma screen TV in the hospitals cardiac unit day room I wonder if they've even thought about it?

I guess I,ll keep looking for a definative answer.

Cheers for now
Gary

Gary,

Page 30 of the current BMFA Handbook contains the following:

Pacemakers
The use of radio control equipment by heart
pacemaker users has been investigated but no
direct interaction problem has been identified. If you
are a pacemaker user, however, and you require
more information you are strongly recommended to
speak to the Consultant who fitted your pacemaker.
He should have all the technical specifications of the
particular unit you use and should be able to identify
any problems you may have.
It should be noted that modern pacemakers, fitted
since around 2006, are very much more resistant to
interference that the older models and should give
very little cause for concern.

That might be useful to you.

BEB

Gary, 2.4Ghz will be safe as houses if you are worried about transmitters, remember wireless internet transmits on 2.4Ghz also so I'm quite sure if he's not effected by the internet being transmitted everywhere these days then he'll be safe with an RC car.

Posted by Eric Bray on 01/04/2011 13:06:13:
My microwave oven, (rarely used!) says in the handbook - if you have a heart regulator device fitted, do not use this device!

All I can say is - go to your Doc's, explain the problem, ask him to have the defibrillator kit ready, and turn on your tx!
Hopefully you will be fine - but.....

LOL

BEB