"Slough Radio Control Models has been trading since 1972 and in addition to its online business, it has large retail premises in Slough - staffed by a knowledgeable and helpful Team - and boasting an incredible range of stock."

Well, after a business trip to Centrica in Windsor, I stopped by SRCM on my way back home today. The last time I had visited was in 2006 when I purchased some electric flight packs. The service then was lousy. At one stage a member of the helpful team actually threw the pack I had bought along as a match back across the counter and said "Nothing like I've seen before, sorry mate", turned his back and carried on stocking a shelf. I was hoping for something a little better today. I was after a Multiplex Dog Fighter RR and a few bits and pieces. Here's how it turned out:

I was the only visitor in the shop; there were five or six staff chatting and picking some mail online orders. In time honoured manner, I immediately and somewhat self conciously started browsing up and down the impressive array of stock. Not once was my presence acknowledged either verbally or through eye contact.

The Multiplex range was piled in the centre of the shop. I located the Dog Fighter, and was checking labels to see which one was the RR version. A staff member actually brushed past me and once again completely ignored me. Even the potential £169.99 purchase failed to get a glimmer of response.

Locating the RR version, I picked it up and wandered over to the counter. This was getting crazy - still no acknowledgement - four guys still busy chatting and picking. Eventually a guy came to serve me - with a face that looked like he was sucking a wasp.

I had the temerity to ask for some cyano. With a sigh, he had to leave the counter and wander down the shop to get some. Silly me - didn't I realise these were in the sales area and not behind the counter like in my local shop? He did not ask which brand, type or size I wanted - and I couldn't be bothered to pull him up

Pushing my luck - I asked if they had any paint suitable for Elapor Foam. Before I had actually finished my sentence - "Halfords" was uttered as a reply. I got a Y lead and some Deans connectors to complete my order.

He did not tell me what my total purchase price was - I had to ask. "One eight nine ninety-nine. Put your card in" came the reply.

And that was it. They were the last words he offered me as he put the receipt in my paper bag and slid it across the counter. No thank you, no goodbye, no congratulating me on my excellent choice of model. Nothing

I will NEVER return. They have great stock and good prices, but truly appaling customer service

Looks like they have become an online store - and real time real life customers have become an inconvinience.

Plus - he was not a good salesman. He could have easliy sold me a larger pack of cyano. He missed my buying cue when asking about paint to sell me some Elapor primer. Why didn't he offer me the chance to look at their LiPo offerings - or a folding prop.

And we wonder why people are flocking to online and offshore retailers....

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 08/03/2012 16:55:41

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 08/03/2012 18:04:33

Advert

I don't know why some UK businesses are so useless. Don't they know there is competition from abroad? Shame, I've been in the shop loads of times, and although not as a bad experiance as yourself, still seemed not interested, even though I'd just spent over £1000 there.

It's an impressive shop, has almost all the kits on the market available in the shop - at good prices. One of the staff, an elder gentleman is quite helpful and took the time. There was a little bias against Hitec, as I asked if the'd got a Hitec Optima 7ch rx, but they said they don't stock hitec, as it's not that good. Hitec? are you kidding? Didn't mind that much, as I bought a Futaba S-FHSS rx instead, as I use both.

Paul

I agree the shop is very well stocked - that's a real plus.

It's the complete in-difference of the staff. If they were actually rude - you could fight back.

If you spent £1,000 you should be made to feel a bit special. But nothing.

Compare that to shopping in Gap or Hollisters - or John Lewis. Even PC World puts SRCM to shame!

The worst service at a model shop i ever had was many years ago. It was in Bristol, before Al's Hobbies, think called Mick Lowdnes Models. I'd only just started buying rc gear and went in. I'd been there for about 10 mins, and picked a few items up to buy and left them on the counter - maybe £40 then. I was then told to leave, as he was closing now-being Wednesday. How rude!!!

If I'd shoplifted, I would have got a better reception and free items to boot, but as a result, put a middle finger up at him and left, never to come back again. Those items I left on the counter, are still there now - 20 years later. Oh, dear.

I always get a good service from: Al's Hobbies; Steve Webb, The Model Shop Leeds; Mick Charles Models, and Inwood, Barnstormers. Slough are good, but can do better. C'mon lads. fly the flag!

note: I asked about their Vancancy, can't apply for it, as live to far away. if I did work there, I would rectify this.

Sounds like they need a visit from Mary Portas ... a customer, in the shop, with money in his pocket is King .... any retailer that doesn't respond with the appropriate level of customer service doesn't deserve to be in business.

It is shameful that such service exists but it is a welcome freedom to be able to come to a forum like this and find that people are allowed to recount their experiences. I don't generally accept the 'ones offs' explanation because well trained customer focused staff should not get into these situations in the first place.

The problem is best fixed by the retailer being made aware of the problem and taking the feedback in good faith and acting to improve things. However it seems to be a trend that the very stores (not just in this hobby) that need to learn this lesson are almost by default the ones where this is least likely to happen.

The cliche 'good news travels faster than bad' springs to mind. Funny I was just in a shop this morning where there was a sign prominently displayed on the counter "If you like what we do ... tell others. If you don't like what we do ...TELL US!" Needless to say the visit was marked by politeness and the appropriate 'satisifaction checks' as I was dealt with .. . not a model shop by the way.

Well, I'm sorry, if that had been me (unless, FunnyFlier you were desperate for the model), I would have asked for a lot more other bits and pieces, and when told the price, politely said "Oh! I'm sorry, that's far too expensive", and walked out!!!. That sort of service really gets my back up angry

And people wonder why so much business is done over the net nowadays sad

As a postscript, it reminds of the time my dear old dad went into a local BMW showroom when he was looking for a company car. He was totally ignored for the best part of 15 minutes whilst the sales assistants sat drinking coffee. When one of them deigned to get off his backside and asked if he could help, my dad politely said he'd been looking to buy 6 cars for the company fleet, but if that was their attitude to customers he would go elsewhere, and strolled out.

Apparently the look on the salesman's face was a joy to behold !

Edited By Essjay on 08/03/2012 20:30:31

once upon a time, slough stocked royal kits, i was after a rare item, the plans, build destructions, and a transfer sheet, this was on the HUGE corsair, at 96"span, i had a framed up one, slough had 1 kit in stock, they photocopied the plan, the instructions, and even the transfer sheet, to use as referance, this cost me 15quid, top shop for me, but it was while ago, seems a shame if they have let things slip

Well, two stories on the plus side,.....

I was in Webbies last Thursday - and as ever the chaps in there were their usual excellent, friendly and helpful selves.

I wanted a model in a particular colour - it was well hidden; upstairs, out the back, under several others behind a mountain of stuff! It took Matt quite a while to get it - but there was no problem, he didn't show any impatience whatsoever indeed he couldn't have been more helpful. Even accepting by opening the box up, that I had the right to look at it before I made a final decision to buy - thereby implicitly accepting that, even after all his trouble, I might not! But I did!

Then this last weekend I ordered a tank and some bits and pieces from SLEC. Then I suddenly remembered - after I'd checked out - that I wanted a fitting kit for one of their tanks as well. Oh well, I need it so never mind, I order.

A day or so later I get an email from Paypal saying that SLEC had refunded some money to me. They had picked up there were two orders and combined them into one lot of postage and refunded me the now extra postage. Excellent service. I rang them up to say thanks - and got to speak to a very nice lady there!

I just post this to say - yes there are bad examples, but there are also some very good ones out there. Let's not get a total "downer" on all British model businesses because of some bad experiences!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/03/2012 21:35:19

People got out of their way to a model shop, or any other outlet to spend their money. At the moment, due to inflation, people have got less money spare to spend, and have to make their purchases wisely.Also it is a day out, the experiance - I go to look, keep me motivated and if there's anything I want, or need will get it.

If you hate going there, you won't go again(and you tell your friends/club mates). People don't go, shop closes down. Simple.

• 7 months later...

Did this in the wrong order... Went to the shop first then checked the feed back on the forum.

My experience was ok actually, the shop was out of may way, i got the train there from central london, as i havent visited a MS that big before and i wanted to see in person what they had in stock.

i was after bits and pieces to finish my project off and some advise on motors, esc's, batteries, chargers and radios. And the advise was fine/ good, I didnt spend a lot of money but even though i mentioned that i wasnt going to spend alot, the MS man still answered the questions i had for him. We got on ok and i didnt get the feeling i was keeping him from doing something else.

would i go back tothe shop? Probably not, as its too far out of my way, but i would order from them.

There was a funny incident when ever i was looking through the boxs and boxes of planes on the shelves. A mother was walking a small girl and carrying a baby, maybe they were looking for presents. The little girl said 'can i have a plane?, but something for a child'. To which the mother said 'lets have a look at the smaller planes, all these ones are to big, i suppose grown ups like there toys too' i just smiled and said 'your right there!!'

I'm in the market for a DX8 and was thinking of Slough as they have them stock at a good price.

However I have used them many times in the past and like others have mentioned have often felt ignored until you push the sale.

The problem with Slough Models is that unless you shop in there every few days you will not get the time of day. A friend who used to fly spent a lot of money in the shop every few weeks and was treated like he was a saint.

He offered to come along with me as well. At the end of the day if I want something at a good price and they have it in stock that is more important to me than a happy sale's person.

I would never order online from them as my orders which are normally small take over a week to arrive unlike some other better online stores.

Mike

Sounds like a place where I would barge about in my wheelchair, knocking over displays, blocking aisles etc. whilst shouting "I'm going to spend an obscene a amount of money in here so I want you to suck up to me big time!" Then buy a packet of quick links and leave.