The Webbit 'TWIST' the 3 in 1 model

Well there was a break in the rain this evening so I went up to the field.

Did a slow taxi run and the blades spun up really well, as soon as it lifted off it ballooned up and onto its back Luckily all that broke was one of the nylon bolts holding a blade on.

So I have contacted someone I know who is a 'wizard' when it comes to designing this type of autogyro, hopefully he will point me in the right direction.

Back to the drawing board!!

Rich

Chris,
The weather doesn't look clever, I have been going for the last couple of years. Have flown my autogyros there and a few of my vintage models, but the rc line is some what 'clicky' and there is a certain person who is very, shall we say 'off putting'.

For me the fun is the free flight which I really enjoy, I have a little Ebineezer Sportster which is despite lots of trimming has a mind of its own!!

My favourite free flighter is my trusty old TomBoy, those calm summers evenings. Just me and 1/2 litre of diesel fuel after a bad day at work to chill out....can't beat it!

Have never got round to building a free flight autogyro but it is up there close to the top of my list, I have a few old plans of FF autogyros if you are ever interested.

Here's a video I took from 2009 of the 'neezer' chaos, know doubt your there somewhere?

Sorry for the 'off topic'

Chris,
It will be 'entertaining', just checked the wind speed for tomorrow and it looks to be around 14 ish MPH. Wind direction towards the trees at the North end of the runway
Hope the weather stays dry for you.

Have fun! but I know you will

Not seen the 'mothneezer', any chance of a photo please?

Rich

So that was you!!!

I had one land by my models on the RC line last year, if memory serves me correct is was a 'Neezer Super 60' , I couldn't stop laughing. The chap didn't know what to say when I took it back him into the ff area!

Its worth going just to watch the FF boys

Rich

Rich, Not me governor LOL never built a super sixty neezer.

These were mine.

Mothneezer

Neezer collection

1937 Wigdor wasp, one of my favorite FF model along with the old KK pirate.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 07/05/2011 22:22:33

Chris,
Nice work! I used to have a vintage RC model that look very much the same as the wasp called the Trevvithik mono plane.

Will see if I can find a photo

Rich

Got out this evening but things did't go to well!

First attempt was with less rearward tilt on the rotors, as per the first attempt as soon as the wheels lifted off it went vertical dropping back down to terra firma on its tail! only damage was to the top of the rudder surprisingly.
I added more negative incidence to the blades to try and kill some of the lift and also added ballast weight into the nose.
The next was a little better but again it got the better of me and came down tail first, luckily it flipped just before impact and all that was broke was the prop. I didn't have another with me so packed up and went home.

Managed to get the last 'kind of flight/crash' on video, I am now scratching my head.

It may well end up being the 2 in 1 WebBit Twist, I will give it one more go then its destined for the recycle bin

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 09/05/2011 21:26:39

Rich don't give up! .It does fly like its unstable in pitch Velcro some more C R under the nose just to be sure its not just a C/G problem .Looking at the vid again it seems to get more unstable as the speed increases,would even less rotor pitch help ?

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 09/05/2011 21:48:33

Ok Rich: Billy's 2 cents worth on the subject is, I think its trying to fly on the wing and not the elevator and rudder the wing part is too symmetrical dihedral added can not help if it were a flat bottom wing that would help a lot. Or a non wing just a plank to hold the axles for the rotors.The rotors are the lift and stability right. Like I said My 2 CENTS. I am sure you already have a plan COOKIN

BILL

Thanks chaps,
The 'minor' repairs have been completed along with a few mods, just waiting for the wind to ease and I will give it one last go!
Bill,
If I were to do it again I would have eliminated the wing like you mentioned and had some sort of supporting boom with the rotors at each end. I have just run out of time to construct another version

Rich