The Webbit 'TWIST' the 3 in 1 model

Hi Rich

Great videos mate.
I remember when you and I went hunting the fields at Old Warden, for the FF that got away! Good times. She was hiding in the ditch on the farmers land!
I think that was 2009?

Just a thought, regarding the CofG
The model autogyro I was flying at Winterton, that you kindly let me fly, I think was the DB Autogyro.
It had twin rotors on the stub wing, and wondered have you been using the DB plan to get your CofG for this model?
The reason I ask is; there is a distant memory that the DB plan had an error!
The CofG had to be moved back to get a better hang-angle.

Put your reciever in the model and check, she was flying great last time at Winterton.

Keep going mate.

Regards
Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 12/05/2011 22:05:49

Edited By Andy Nash on 12/05/2011 22:06:45

Hi Rich

Here's me thoughts on the pitch-up.
The wing and rotors are like a biplane, that is two lifting surfaces.

The biplane has the two wings at different angles of attack.
The wing that is forward of the CofG must stall first, so as to get the nose of the plane to drop and restore the glide-path.

So I think the stub wing should be forward of the CofG so as to stall first.
i.e. the rotors need to be behind the normal CofG point on the wing.
So as we fly slower-and-slower the wing will stall.
With no lifting surface the nose will drop and speed up the rotors, and regain lift as they speed up. Thus restor the glide path.
The air speed will be much slower than the wing needs to give lift.

Note an undercambered wing, or large cord wing, will make the flying speed very slow and not help.

Sorry if I have it all wrong, I am not an expert.

Regards
Andy

Weathers still crappy here Rich. Will you be giving the autogyro WebBit a flight or two at Greenacres? I wont ask about the double twist one until you've had a chance to fly it again!

Windy raining, much more like U.K weather now. I hope its not going to have come early and thats it summer gone! We had some nice days in April and March.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Seems to have been windy for 2 weeks with no let up, I am ready to try the Twist II, I have been rebuilding my 1/4 scale 'Little Nellie' after I made a bad pilot error a month or so back. Waited for 3 weeks for some 10mm carbon tube from RobotBirds, when I enquired they told me they didn't have any in stock and refunded my money just like that! Not impressed with their service one bit. So got some from China in the end.
This has given me chance to 'arm her', I would have posted pictures but there isn't an 'autogyro' section on this forum . Rocket tubes are made from the cardboard tubes from the Toughlon used to cover the WebBit!
It clashes with the Rotary Eagles Fly-in which I have gone to for the last 3 years. I get the chance to meet up with a couple of 'gyronuts' from around the UK at this event, I could talk to them and see if they would switch to the RCM&E Fly-in but I am not sure whether we will be permitted to fly autogyros at GA?
Plus I have to earn some 'brownie points' off the wife!

Recognise my pilots head?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 14/05/2011 14:18:17

I did manage a few flights this evening but, it is not safe to fly. I may try again at a later date with a different fuselage and larger tail surfaces.

So it is now the 2-1 WebBit...but i did give it my best shot. the main thing is I have enjoyed 'playing'.

Rich

Bill,
I am just enjoying flying it mate and it has been fun for sure.

Ok,
I am about 3/4 of the way through the plans for the 'successful' Twist bolt on, I would have liked to have got them finished but due to family and work commitments things slowed down a tad.
When they are completed I am going to have a chat with my boss and see if he will let me print some out on the works printer. So if anyone would like one just let me know, I can bring some along with me to the fly-in. I don't want anything for them but if you want to donate to the charity and if this is ok with the mods then feel free too.
I can probably get 10 printed for nothing after that it would have to be a trip down to Staples.

Rich

Naughty boy Chris

Just in the middle of a repair job on another model while the weather is totally rubbish for flying. When its completed I have another idea that I will have a go at to use those blades I made for the winged version, same kind of thing but eliminating the wing completely. Not really my idea but something that has been suggested to me by a few others. I still have plenty of time for 'rebuilds'

Rich

Sorry Tim,

It was a link  so I used the chain thing, get the message, good job I'm not a house elf, would have to slap myself around, before the missus does for not getting the dinner on.

Now the smileys have gone belly up, I'm having a bad day

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 25/05/2011 17:43:04

• 4 weeks later...
We had our annual Autogyro fly-in this weekend.

To my surprise my friend Chas turned up with this, the sly fox!

It flew extremely well all weekend, his transmitter was also passed around!

He is hoping to 'TWIST' it

Rich

Dave,
I will email 'Chas' (Charles), I am not sure whether he will be at greenacres or has even signed on to the MB?
One thing for sure is that he was enjoying flying it , I am sure he moved his motor forwards but maybe he will tell us more about his set up?

Rich

Hi Dave,

I found the spiders web on e-bay its a stick on and then peel of the protective covering, came out rather well. I built the WebBit in a hurry and wasn't sure how it would fly being a conversion from IC to electric, I had to add lead to the front but after a couple of flights I really enjoy flying it. The next move is to put a gyro pylon on it and see if flies as well as Rich has tuned his in.

Great model, I love it!

Chas

Posted by BILL PETTIT on 27/06/2011 14:52:50:
Oh Baby you know I like that color I see the motor is way out on the nose I am going to do that to mine because i have a ton of lead in the nose and it flies like a lead sled.

Regards Bill
Hi Bill,

I was down at the RCME fly in and those that put the E.P motor out on front needed less lead for a E.P conversion, but also to me they appeared to be smoother flyers with the motor 'out front'

David Ashby kindly sorted out a video of WebBITs from Sundays flying. I hope I got the link correct above?

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Chaps,
To anyone who was involved in the Mass build and would like to give the Twist conversion head a go I have now drawn it up.
It has been put on to separate A4 sheets in PDF format so they can be printed from a bog standard printer.
There are 9 sheets in all (just need to do the final set up instructions) but I think something can be built from them.
I am not the best at drawing and there are bound to be mistakes ,certainly spelling errors.
Added are print scale dimensions so its worth checking these to make sure the sizes are correct. They do print fine for me. obviously the blades couldn't fit onto A4 sheets so I have just added dimensions etc

Just PM me your email address and I will forward the sheets to you. If you do find any mistakes, building errors or think something extra should be added please let me know.

I don't want anything so please don't ask! All I ask is that you let me know how things go and maybe add a bit here of your progress.

Rich

Fantastic news Richard, chuffed to bits that the picture of you showing Róisín Ken Wallis shaking his head, when asked if he wanted to fly again, has made it into the mag this month

I am sure loads will want to build a set of Twist rotors, I am sending you a PM for sure.

Cheers
Danny