A Money Spending contest?

kc

I don’t think it matters much if we wander off topic a bit if an interesting point is raised! Especially as our interest in aeromodelling is the same but our backgrounds, work experiences etc vary so we get informed opinion on many subjects. We generally avoid politics because that is a dirty game and anyway our view is generally clouded by whether we are rich or poor.
Anyway as I started this thread perhaps I have some right to decide if we make this detour.
The interesting points about university fees raised by BEB does not mention a most vital aspect of great importance to my fellow countrymen…….that is this system greatly disadvantages the English but does not affect the Scots! We English must insist that we get every advantage that the Scots and Welsh get! We cannot allow England to have any disadvantage in education in future or in anything else.. We have suffered from the Trojan Horse trick and we have not even been allowed to vote on devolution. Undemocratic. And nobody seems to realise.
Wake up England! ( I think that comment was originally made in an aeronautic context so we are not too far off topic)

Advert

I think that the point made about helicopters has a little to it. I have added metal parts to my smallest and largest helicopters but this tended to happen only afetr a part was worn out or damaged.
The metal parts are always more expesive and are usually anodised and dyed to improve the appearance and after a while the helicopter does get a slightly "blinged" appearance.
I make no apologies for this but I can bling my scale aircraft by choosing a suitable colour scheme but there is less room for manoeuvre with helicopters unless you go down the scale line. This has been a little beyond my limited capabilities.
Do the metal parts make me fly better? Some help, others are definitely cosmetic!
As I've already said, each to their own!
Let's enjoy the good weather which has arrived!
Flying today?
Right after lunch! That's what matters most of all!!!!!
Bob

Posted by tony bennett on 09/04/2011 10:12:47:
when i was shooting as my sport (archery) there were loads who thought that if they bought the newist and most expensive equipment around that it would improve their shooting.
it never did, because they had not learn' t the basics properly in the first place.
mind you it did mean that we could buy cheap top of the range gear when they moved up to the next latest thing.

Thats a good point from Tony, we have all seen that.

TW2.

i think as long as the flyer is getting satisfaction from his hobby then its up to him how much he spends, i fly both artfs and build models,i like flying but i love building because its not weather dependant.
a couple of years ago i bought a futaba 10c which with an extra 35 mhz module came out at £500 i know its a lot of cash but i look at it as the trannie never leaves my hands so it should be safe, the idea of sending that sort of money into the blue would frankly scare me to death.
with planes i suppose its a bit like gambling spend what you can afford to lose .

i am new to model flying [very new just building my 1st model] have flew 1 model with club trainer [his own model NOT CLUBS] when speaking to him about what i need to get started was very nice said he had irvine tutor i could train with [AGAIN HIS NOT CLUB]
he spoke about all his models alot by sound of it had a realy nice old chipmunk with him

then i asked about transmiter he said DONT SPEND LESS THAN £200

that was my budget to start a realy shocked me i have 2 children and 1 on way am not rich the current ression has seen to that

i realy want to fly and feel like i dont have the money to but i will not let this stop me i will keep pluging away trying to get the bits i need to build and fly

the point am trying to make is if you want it you will get it

if i had lots of money i would be at the feild with the best models i dont so i wont be but ill be there and I WILL HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS ANY 1 ELSE

Hi Lee.
It sounds like your friendly club chap just assumed you had loads of money to spend ,it is entirly possible to get flying and rearly enjoy your self on a very small buget ,reliable 2.4 radio gear can be obtained very cheaply the problem is that some clubs do pull a face if you dont buy the stuff they use.

TW2.

It's all relative. When I started building and flying models in the early1950's I bought a Phanton Mite c/line model and an ED Bee 1cc motor. To me that cost a fortune. I think the total was about £2/£3. Saved up for months to get that.

In all activities some people spend a lot and some don't have so much to spare. If people want to spend their money what business is it of anyone else?

Have to laugh. I splurged a fair old wedge over the past year on models (kits and RTFs) and I reckon I'm the worst pilot at the club.
I'm regularly having my leg pulled about when I landed on the roof of the clubhouse or when I downed into the pond.
Last weekend I was complimented on how well I handled my newly glassed and custom painted Funjet Ultra. A very good feeling indeed.
I'd rather be complimented on my flying and building than on kit that I've bought any day.
All that said, BEB put it beautifully.

Posted by TonyS on 10/04/2011 08:16:05:
Have to laugh. I splurged a fair old wedge over the past year on models (kits and RTFs) and I reckon I'm the worst pilot at the club.
I'm regularly having my leg pulled about when I landed on the roof of the clubhouse or when I downed into the pond.
Last weekend I was complimented on how well I handled my newly glassed and custom painted Funjet Ultra. A very good feeling indeed.
I'd rather be complimented on my flying and building than on kit that I've bought any day.
All that said, BEB put it beautifully.

Sounds like my golf, scored a perfect hole in one on No. 3.

trouble is the hole was through a clubhouse window

Clearly the person who said dont spend less than 200 pounds on a transmitter did not know what he was talking about. Just a snob. Unless the recommendation for a 200 pound Tx was to obtain some special feature required for some particular purpose.( maybe a buddy lead situation )
Most people find a Futaba 6EX or equivalent at about 150 pounds for a full set with 'nicads', charger and servos is suitable for almost all of their flying. Certainly for a trainer and the first few years flying. Buy the 2.4 version to get maximum " peg" time. (ask us if you dont understand this term ) Further back in this thread you will find some cheaper gear recommended too. But the Futaba has a certain reliability & quality reputation and you wont feel its cheap and nasty.
It is what I started this thread about......aeromodelling is about skill not spending lots of money.

" a fool and his money are soon parted"

Edited By kc on 10/04/2011 16:35:01

Possibly more of a 'dyed in the wool, head in the sand, I'll stick to what I know and can recommend because it's never done me wrong' type, rather than a snob, perhaps, kc?

There will always be folk who buy further up the range than they need as they feel reassured if they're using a well-known brand. Of course, what it means is they probably close their minds to the existence of cheaper, reliable gear that we are now blessed with.

The thing is, does their thinking extend to every link in the chain, which is only as strong as its weakest link?

By the time you've added an all singing and dancing Rx, marque servos and servo leads, a top-of-the-range engine or motor, fuel, ESC, batteries, links, horns, etc, etc, etc you can spend a heck of a lot more than many of us who pick and choose where and what we buy.

If I had no choice in the market but to pay marque prices for everything, my modelling would be significantly less than it is now.

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 10/04/2011 16:46:59

Section of post by Gary Binnie.

Spot on Tim! 'Bling' is a feature of other hobbies, my late father-in-law was a keen clay pigeon man, when I went with him to his club he used to point out the 'Yuppies' with their top of the range shotguns who couldn't hit the side of a barn door with them, it was painfully obvious even to me.

Agreed Gary. Clay Pigeon shooting is my sport as well and have experienced the yuppie culture. When I started I had a (very) cheap Spanish over and under, I learnt to shoot with it and shoot well. Trying not to brag here but after a while when I turned up at shoot the talk got round to "Who's gonna be second" I represented my County three times. I haven't got that gun now because I have arthritis in my lower spine and couldn't swing a heavy double barrel gun so I bought a second hand Beretta semi auto which I still have now. It is much lighter than the double. I look at flying models in the same way, I will buy what I can afford, enjoy it and get as good as I can. What I can't abide is the braggers, and there are a few. I will wait for the first one to say "What are you using that c**p for? You need something like this?" yes well err. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No: 20

well been to feild today all very nice seen some real money spinner stuff a jet powered god dont know what it cost but it was very very big 2m wingspan and longer in lenght very nice loved watching that

but the highlight and back to the money point 2 lads had very cheap flying wings less than £47 so was told for all in and the tried like hell to catch a smash each other down

1 lad said you can fly as posh a model as you want but these what your not that bothered to crash and play give more fun than anything was brill watching them

as for transmitter they said i need full range 6chnl and MUST be 2.4 ghz and have trainer plug so any models will de searched the spectrum dx5i seems in my range but only 5 chnl

spend what you can but REMEMBER IT IS FOR PLESURE NOT A SPEND CONTEST
if you got it splash it