How to remove 40 year old fuel proofer from silk

I am trying to rejuvenate a model built by my neighbour in the early sixties - it is a Sterling Mambo radio trainer for the days of valve radio equipment and rubber powered escapements. It looks like the fuel proofer has yellowed as where it has peeled off the paint underneath is quite sound.

So, is there any one out there who knows how to remove the old fuel proofer without damaging the underlying paint and silk covering? If there is no way of preserving the paint under the proofer that's OK as I don't think much of the existing colour scheme (black and white) - a nice red and yellow scheme would aid visibility and provide a new look!

Advert

Alan, yes it is silk and not nylon (I am told it comes from parachute silk of which there are a few bits left). The silk feels pretty flexible and tough. I've only ever covered in nylon and not silk. The proofer has peeled off in some areas and crazed in others, although whether the crazing is only the proofer is by no means clear. Thanks for the suggestion of Nitromors and using eye protection.

Martin, I suppose using fuel might work but might damage the silk in the process.

Thanks guys.

I have found that rejuvenating a model is not a quick job.

Stripping the covering sounds simple, and can be, on the other hand the grip can be tenacious.

Removing the whole of the fuel proofer can also be difficult, if not impossible.

A compromise could be to just remove the loose proofer and recover the area with new proofer. It probably will look less than pristine, yet how long do they stay that way?

Minimum time spent rebuilding and maxium potential flying whilst the weather is improving.

Erfolg, you are quite right! Spend more time flying than rebuilding is a good maxim.

PatMc, never having used silk before (only nylon) I think your suggestion is sound.

Now, on a slightly different tack, the aircraft is powered by a Fox 15 without any silencer or throttle. Any suggestions on addressing either or both of these issues?

One of my first RC models was a DB Tyro with a Fox 15 using a Fuji silencer with a metal strap to hold it in place. There was no throttle so every flight terminated in a deadstick landing.
Since then I used a newer version Fox 15 for a while in my Veron Deacon. This one had a throttle & silencer but the silencer was pretty ineffective & the throttle difficult to set up. I dumped the silencer & replaced it with one from an old type OS Max 15 - again it was retained by a metal strap.
On other small diesel & glow engines I've successfully used OS & Thunder Tiger (OS copies) carbs from the 15 - 25 ranges.

OTOH you might be better of looking for a cheap s/h 15, 20 or 25 that's in decent nick.
Or better still convert it to electric as i did to my Robot.

PatMc - thanks for your thoughts. The Fox 15 in this guise has an integrated carb so I'm not sure how to introduce a throttling device that does not completely blank the intake. I was also considering going electric but I think what I'll do is see if I can get dispensation to fly the model as is apart from fabricating a silencer. I have built two in the past, one for Mills 75 and one for my beloved WenMac Hot Shot (I lent it to an acquaintance when it was attached to a LM/Aermacchi Santa Maria who promptly moved away taking the model and engine with him.)

As you say, re-engining with a small RC engine is probably the easiest way to go.

By the way, I have been making reasonable progress with Sainsbury nappy wipes to remove more of the ground in crud from the covering. I don't know what they put into nappy wipes but if I were a baby I'd be seriously concerned about my nether regions!