2.4Ghz manuafacturer compatability

Bit of a noob question but I am having a hard time finding an answer.

With 2.4Ghz equipment, can I use a Rx from a different manufacturer to the Tx?

Eg: My Tx is a Spektrum DX6i and I have just bought a 2nd hand plane with:

Futaba S3003 servos
Futaba R617FS, 7 Channel 2.4Ghz FASST Receiver

I am assuming that the Rx won't work with my setup but if I buy a Spektrum Rx that the servos will work.

Is this correct?

thanks,

Heds

Advert

You are correct Hedley. To be 100% clear.

Generally speaking, with 2.4, you have to be extremely careful mixing brands.

The R617FS rx will only work with a FASST tx. As far as I know only Futaba make FASST transmitters. So that rx will only work with a Futaba tx. To be very clear; you cannot use this Rx with a Specktrum Tx.

With regard to servos, the situation is different. pretty well any servo will work in any system. Futaba servos will work fine with a Spektrum rx for example.

So, as I say, you are correct. If you replace the Futaba rx with a Spektrum rx, and leave the Futaba servos in there, you will be able to fly this model with a Spektrum Tx.

BEB

PS Birdy, I don't know where you go shopping mate but if you're paying £70 for a R617FS you being seriously ripped off! Typical price is just over £50 and with a tiny bit of shopping around you can easily get them for £47 or so.

Amalgamating the replies, Heds, 2.4Ghz has resulted in each manufacturer going their own way with systems and they are all incompatible with each other, so we have:

Futaba with two systems, FASST and FHSS (which are incompatible with each other).

Spektrum with DSMX and DSM2, which are compatible with each other.

Many other manufacturers, such as Hitec, JR, Multiplex, Frsky, etc etc, all have their own systems.

They all require their own manufacturers' receivers but one can buy independent Orange-brand receivers, one of which is Futaba FASST-compatible and the other which is Spektrum DSM2-compatible.

The vast majority of servos operate across all systems. However, you will find that there are two plug systems, Futaba and JR. The only difference is that the Futaba plugs have a shoulder at one side of the plug to make a reversed connnection impossible. All you need do to make your Futaba servos fit the Spektrum (JR-type plugs) Rx is shave off the shoulder. They will work fine.

I agree with birdy - definitely worth selling the Futaba Rx to fund one or more Spektrum/Orange replacements!

Pete

ps BEB beat me to it - I must learn to type faster

Edited By Pete B on 17/04/2011 18:21:43

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/04/2011 18:12:57:

PS Birdy, I don't know where you go shopping mate but if you're paying £70 for a R617FS you being seriously ripped off! Typical price is just over £50 and with a tiny bit of shopping around you can easily get them for £47 or so.

Fortunately I now buy the giantcod cheapies. But still, £50. You can buy alot with that! And its nice that people are there to tell you what you should expect to pay.

Hedley, you could buy a genuine speccy rx, but you can save alot of money buy buying something like these. I've personally no idea if there any good, but someone will.

Gentlemen,

thank you for your comprehensive and detailed answers, I really appreciate the time you have taken to explain this confuzzling array of tech to me. It is hard being a noob as apart from trying to learn to fly, there is also so much to learn that others take for granted and it can be a bit daunting asking simples questions.

Interesting info about the Futaba vs JR style connectors on the servos. I have had to get the knife out a few times to make them fit but didn't know why some had this shoulder and others didn't.

The reason why I asked about the Rx is that I have just bought a Jumper 25 on the bay for £80 that comes with:

Plane Seagull Jumper 25
Engine: SC25A,ABC (Mark 2 )

Servos -Futaba S3003
Receiver: Futaba R617FS, 7 Channel
Battery, fuel tank, fuel, glow heatyer thingy

My current setup (Multiplex Easystar, and helis) all use DSM2 and my Tx is a DX6i. I will sell the RX and probably buy an AR6200.

Going back to the Orange no name RX's. Does anyone have any feedback on them? I'm all for saving money but not to the expense of my plane or more importantly someones life and I have fallen foul of OEM spec parts when it comes to my car before so am useually very careful. Are they legal for UK use? I know a lot of cheap equipment doesn't have a stamp that means its tested and ok.

• 1 month later...

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/04/2011 18:12:57:
You are correct Hedley. To be 100% clear.

Generally speaking, with 2.4, you have to be extremely careful mixing brands.

The R617FS rx will only work with a FASST tx. As far as I know only Futaba make FASST transmitters. So that rx will only work with a Futaba tx. To be very clear; you cannot use this Rx with a Specktrum Tx.

With regard to servos, the situation is different. pretty well any servo will work in any system. Futaba servos will work fine with a Spektrum rx for example.

So, as I say, you are correct. If you replace the Futaba rx with a Spektrum rx, and leave the Futaba servos in there, you will be able to fly this model with a Spektrum Tx.

BEB

Edited By Simon on 05/06/2011 15:04:57

Edited By Simon on 05/06/2011 15:05:37

• 1 month later...
Hi
To follow on with this thread I have just bought a 2.4 module to convert my Hitec Optic 6 from 35Mhz. Are there any other rx's I can use with this Rx apart from Hitec - I am thinking in terms of more budget Rx's from a certain supplier as I ahev a number of aircraft to convert if I do them all.
Many thanks
Mike

It's worth saying the that most of the Futaba 2.4 ghz are the FASST type but the latest Futaba T6J budget price one is a different system but the initials are, confusingly, very similar.
There will probably be someone willing to do a swap for a genuine Spektrum Rx if you ask around.
Frankly 80 pounds seems too cheap for all that.   Why didnt he sell the transmitter with it?  Could be a genuine reason why he kept the Tx but without a very good reason ( and showing you the Tx to demonstrate the rest works ) it should make one question whether it is a stolen model.  And of course with 2.4 ghz the rightful owner would be able to prove ownership if his Tx was already bound to it!

Edited By kc on 04/08/2011 17:11:25