Lander Hunter motor

Ant Sisley

Hi

I bought a built, but unflown Lander Hunter in December and was informed that it was designed for 6S lipos. This arrangement suited me as I had 3 6S packs I use for my trex 500. Anyhow, due to weather, work and a broken mower, I finally got to test fly the model on Friday. I was impressed with the power out of the fan unit and the take off was without incident. However, approximately 2 minutes into the flight, the motor stopped. I have to say that the hunter's glide characteristics are excellent and I got the model back ok.

Initially, we suspected the BEC had cut in as I had full control, but trying a fresh pack resulted in a click from the fan. We could not see anything fouling it and, after removing all covers, found the fan did not rotate freely. Trying the throttle again produced smoke from the motor. I am of the opinion that this may have been a 4S motor, but have not got around to removing the unit from the airframe to confirm. The ESC is a HK 5.6-26V 60A unit.

Overlander have suggested I send the fan/motor back, but as it was effectively 2nd hand, I will have no comeback. I also had another look on their site and the info for the 6S setup seems to be a bit misleading and it shows the setup for the 4S configuration.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like this or is just I have a duff motor?

Ant

Advert

Hi Ant,

i have just built one with 6s motor & fan unit & she seems fine. Not much help i know

here is th 3575kv 4S MOTOR & fan unit

here is the 2399kv 6S Motor & fan unit which i have fitted in mine.

At a guess I reckon yours was the 4S setup, which would obviously be pulling very high amps on a 6S lipo !

Hope my info is of some use to you

Yes, it is easy to miss. It was only when I had a closer look at Overlander's site that I noticed in the 6S option, there is another option stating the model comes with the 4S motor. I guess the original owner also assumed this was a 6S setup and, as he did not fly the model, did not suffer the same fate. I have not yet pulled the old unit out, so cannot confirm what configuration it is.

Ah well, I guess I'll have to dig out the credit card and do some spending.

Well, pulled the motor/fan and it is the 3575kV one. I spoke to Overlander about it and was told that as it was sold RTF, the motor was pre-fitted by Lander. Overlander said they would do a reduced price on a new one, but I argued that it should not have failed like this in the first place. I got a call this morning to be told that the motor/fan unit will be replaced FOC and I should, hopefully, have it by the weekend. Many thanks to the lady I spoke to in Overlander's sales office.

As as side note, it seems Overlander are not that impressed with Lander and may not be stocking their products much longer. I also noticed on their website that the Hunter 6S option is no longer displayed.

Anyhow a good result and my credit card can relax for the moment.

I have always found that Overlander is a great company to deal with. I'm not suprised they sorted you out, but as you are not the original purchaser they could simply have done nothing, their 'contract' being with the original buyer.

Following a conversation with them earlier today I can confirm that when their stock of Lander stuff is gone there will be no more. Reckon I'll go grab a bargain before its too late!

Anyone know who will be the UK stockist for Lander?

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I've just picked up a second hand Hunter and was a little confused with the fan unit, was it available in 2 spec's (4S & 6S) ?

Can't seem to get the fan cover off to check what's in there and have no info on it, also I notice thay mine doesn't have the perforated grill under the fuzz that I can see on some of the others on here.

Any help appreciated ....looks like I'm going to be buying some more batteries!! sad

Thanks, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ant . Hows OZ? I hope your well away from the fires ? MMFC is still bogged down in mud frown. I was sold a EDF tigershark a few years ago and was assured by Mr Airpower it was a 4s set up . WRONG ! It took off no problems climbed out and I started to bank right and someone switched on the smoke system smiley. All the guys at the field were impressed but I knew it didn't have smoke . I now buy my motors seperately by spec and havent had any probs . so sounds like it was a 4s set up . A watt meter fitted in line will also give some indication of wether its 4 or 6s .I recently bought a HET Hornet with fan and motor fitted but no info I tied it on 4s and it nearly jumped off the bench so then went to 3s and it was guttless so deduced it was 4s and fitted watt meter . Full charged it gave 600w so about right.

On the other hand you may just be unlucky and have a dodgy motor !

Phil

HobbyKing currently supply Lander Hunters (I've got one waiting for the ground to harden before attempting to fly it with its little wheels) although it isn't described as such in the product description.

As far as I'm aware (fingers crossed) they are supplied suitable for 6S but I'm going to check the paperwork carefully before flying it now!

This version doesn't have the perforations. Perhaps there's some correlation between the 4S version and cheat holes?

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/01/2013 14:27:43

Thanks for the reply guys,

I've managed to get to the fan assembly and its marked up as 3900kv, looking at the figures quoted it looks as if I have a 4s version. ( There are no cheat holes on mine either) It is also fitted with an 80amp esc (the BEC isn't working so I've fitted a 3A UBEC)

i appears HK only supply the 6s version now.

ian