Clean Sweep!

Tim Hooper

Posted by Tim Hooper on 23/02/2012 22:48:11:
Posted by Mike Rieder on 23/02/2012 17:00:07:

Ps as a note for future ref. It would have been really useful to know which parts you get when you buy the CNC kit so you can work out which other wood stock you will need, I didn’t expect to get the fuz sides or the spar’s so a bonus.smiley

Mike,

You seem to be be making rapid progress!

You make a good point re the kit contents, I feel. FWIW I have no idea what components will be included in a kit after I've submitted it for publication.

tim.

Cheers for your reply Tim, yes understand this sort of stuff is out of your hands. So will mention it to "my hobby store" for thier future ref. And hopfully the building will slow down a bit this weekend as the weather is looking ok here in Suffolk for some flying.

mike

Advert

No photos to show, but I'm pleased to report that Netty's own Clean Sweep made it's debut at the field yesterday, and under her control made two successful flights!smile d

Her model flies very much like my own (surprise, surprise), and she intends to give it some serious air-time in the coming months.

tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

Just to let you know I've also just completed and successfully flown my version of your Clean Sweep.,

I omitted the apple cheeks and modified the elevator and rudder slightly as I preferred them to match the forward slope of the main wings. I also set the lower nose section as removable so I could get to to motor. and left off the spats as our grass is too long for them.

If anyone's interested I used a Tornado 3536 with 10x7 and 4 cell 2200 LiPo and am getting about 450 Watts peak.

Delighted with the way it flies - so well done

Reg Athill

Hi, Tim,

I don't know how to send pics (having never tried!)

If the moderator or some one else will tell me how then I'll do it.

In case you're interested I changed the internals so that the bettery is on a horizontal ply mount and this left room underneath for the ESC.. Hence, when you see the pics, the green nose section comes off to give access to both the ESC and the motor.

I also used snakes for both the rudder and elevator - probably because I'm a bit lazy and the thought of setting up the 'push me pull you' seemed un-necessary - and certainly appears so in practice.

Hope you'll like what I've done when you finally see it.

Reg

Hi Reg.....posting pics is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.....the easiest way is to upload your piccies to your Photo Album....this will tell you how to go about it.

You can then post one or more of the pictures....again this will tell you how.

You can also post videos & link to external sources for your pictures but lets walk before we run eh?.....smile

Theres also a test area here where you can practice.....in no time at all you'll be posting pics & videos like an old Pro.....

Let me know if I can be of more help.....thumbs up

Nice to see the different colour schemes being used.

Have I missed a post or has Mike Rieder not yet shown us his Reno colour schemes which he was researching?

Regarding Reg's version.........it looks very clean and crisp but I have to confess that I think the nose looks better with its 'jowels'.

Great to see the continued interest in Tim's very attractive design. I havn't started yet but I just have to build one!

Barry Arthur.

Barry,

I left the apple cheeks off initially because I couldn't make out exactly how they related to the removable top. Once I'd started it became obvious but I then decided I'd leave them off to create a slightly different design

good luck with your build.and I look forard to seeing your version.

Reg

Mines taken a step backward. Connected up the electrics last night ready for the maiden. Ran the motor up and it sprang a leak. Decided to let all the magic smoke out!! angry. Oh well! Not got another motor and now have to hack the front around to get the old one out. Might put a glow in it wink got plenty of motors and tanks lying around. Like Reg I left off the cheeks and was going to fit turboprop type exhausts on it. Thought they would look good with the long nose. I also changed the elevator trailing edge to match the forward sweep on the wings. Now to take a knife to it later today!

Annoyed,

Andy

Reg,

if you do find a way of catching the smoke, pop some in an envelope for me!

Got the front hacked off today so I'll make up an arrangement for mounting the glow motor and use the bits I cut off to form a cowling. Found a tank and everything else is ready to go. Don't think it'll be too much trouble to convert. At least it'll keep me busy when it rains this weekend!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Erfolg on 24/03/2012 20:59:59:Is there a reason why the ailerons do not extend to the tips?

I've been giving this some thought.....

I reckon that having a section of wing, without the encumbrance of an aileron banging up and down, is also part of the reason why the Sweep is so reluctant to tip stall.

tim