Recievers & Crystals

Shaun Clarke

Hi Shaun, I can't really comment about clubs in UK, because I'm in France..But from what I read, I'm sure it's welcomed. After all, it makes life easier, and safer. You are right, no crystals. The transmitter and the receiver  make contact automatically. I've been using this for a few months, and now have a bundle of 35 kit that's permanently under the bed. The Futaba sustem is a wee bit limited (for example, only 6 model memories, but how many do you really need?) The big advage in my experience is that the link between the Rx and Tx is solid. If you haven't flown much, it's difficult to explain, but there are no little unexplained glitches

Ernie

I cant find much info on it. But as I understand it, the tranny and the reciever 'find' a free frequency within 2.4GHz range that is unused and off you go. Incidently my first club meet last night discussed glitches...even a wire fence can bounce signals around and cause a glitch. Dont mobile phones operate at somewhere around 2.4GHz?

There is an awful lot of equipment using on or around 2.4GHz. I believe mobile phones and Wi-Fi to name but two.

Im not going to shout down 2.4 as I have absolutly no experience of it and obviously by reading this thread there are at least two happy users! However my personal opinion is that 35mhz is tried and tested and works very well. 2.4 is in its infancy and I would like to watch the market a little more before I bought into it.

From memory wasnt there a high frequency system launched 20+ years back? Cant remember who made it though and I dont think it lasted. However thatmaybe due to lack of technology at the time?

Hi Phil. Sorry I missed you mate, yeh I met George and the boys, had a bit of a laugh. I had to leave by 10 pm as I had a very early start today. Work does get in the way, especially as the weather has been nice last day or so. Going to pop round and see George and some point as he has on old Bipe that he's flogging cheap...he says it needs some TLC. Be nice to get stuck into it when I finally finish this trainer!

As I understood it, you can only fly at the Farm near Selsey on weekdays??? I can see some serious skiving occouring next summer  .

Shaun, are you being paranoid ? - well yes a little, but anyway, mobile phones are not recommended for flightline presence anyway - they are a bad idea for 35Mhz stuff too, having been blamed in the past for wiping computer trs memory etc. Most clubs I believe, do NOT allow mobile phones near the flightline, and ours bans their use at all in the pits too. In emergency, we recommend people use a mobile within the confines of their car, away from the pits /flightline.

I have been 2.4Ghz for 1 year ( DX7 ) , and ALL my models fly on it including IC models, and I have never suffered one single glitch EVER.

IMO, it is the best thing since the proverbial computer radio.

Sliced bread is generally rubbish, and I never buy it

Used to be a member of SMAC and flew regularly in the Forest, along with all over the UK and a few times abroad for competition.

Flew a couple of times at Deadelous with Lee Bees, dont know if they still knock about as I know there is no more model flying there.

Thanks for the offer dude, but Im moved to leccy flight and to be honest as mentioned elsewhere this is a nice distraction, but a distraction non the less from building a car!!