Recievers & Crystals

Shaun Clarke

my missus is like that she now gives abig sigh when iwalk in with yet another large box or basket case i love car boot sales and often find BARGAINS there that must be bought  i have a sixtyfive inch wingspan spitfire with saito eigty upfront cost me sixty quid she said what do you want that for???????? she just dosent understand lol

mine is a bit of awizard on the computer she types like a machine gun so igot her atop spec computor 1500 quids worth then told not to complain whenever igot yet another model ithink she went deaf at that point  anyway i dont think 30 to forty odd models andkits is over the top you have to keep some in reserve dont you lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi fellow nuts

Just bought a JR RS70 rx I can,t get over the fact that you don,t need a xtal,

been trying to find the basics on how this system works, but so far,no luck.

As for 2.4, i have too many 35 meg stuff to warrent changing to that,& i would like to see how the

dust settles  first.Been flying since 1946,in the day,s of air cored coils & behive trimmers,(how things have

changed)

Happy & safe flying to all.      Merton

Hey you Guy's, what are "beehive trimmers"?. Are they coils with a ferrite type internal trimmer screw that needed adjustment with a plastic type screw driver?

My dad used to build various radio's from Practical Wireless, and one of the problems after building, I seem to remember, was "tuning" all the various coils. He always got them to work and this was in the days before we had TV. Oh, and I can remember putting the aerial around the garden in the tree's............!!

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5927/beehiveiz7.jpg

They were a bit of a sod to tune, as they usually reacted immediately your finger touched the adjuster stalk.

The outer tube had a sort of arrangement of "tubes", and so did the inner section, and these sets of tubes /rings overlapped each other, and as it was screwed in, the capacitance between them increased as the surface area increased. Pretty crude, as was most of the electronic gear around in those days. Still, just as in under the bonnet of the car of today compared to the earlier days, at least you could actually almost "see" things working....I cant even see an engine  on my latest car, let alone have a hope in hell of adjusting anything as simple as fast tickover!!

T'was always a great site when the valve heaters started glowing warmly as you switched on your latest prototype, with the anticipation of it actually working as things got up to temp

Anyone remember the old  ED Boomerang radio, came in two versions, soft and hard valve. The soft valve version had about five tapping points for the aerial, you moved it along as the vavle deteriorated.

The TX was ground based with an aerial in about five sections that plugged together. you had a micro switch in your hand to key the signal.

This is getting out of hand!! How about the galloping ghost (well shake my bum) now we are realy showing our age.Nice to look back on though.

My first attempt at rc was a home brewed rx. All the parts pinched from the radar dump,using an acorn valve.

Used in an old free flight model,if the rudder flapped once or twice it was magic