heard a rumble

Tony Bennett

twas out in the garden doing running up tests on my new build and i heard a rumble in the sky.

then straight over my garden at about 100 feet up.

lancaster
hurricane and the spit one after the other.

wow
brought a tear to my eye.

Advert

Where was this Tony? I was at the Blackbushe model show today and was taking some fuel back to put in the boot of my car when I saw what looked like the BBMF way off in the distance.

This was just after 3pm and the three aircraft (plus what may have been a Cessna 150 or similar at a slightly higher altitude) were "several" miles east of Blackbushe heading in a northerly(ish!) direction.

Edited By John Privett on 14/05/2011 18:59:57

I was at RAF wittering last weekend supposed to be gliding but the weather wasnt playing ball. but just as we were admiting defeat and walking to the car the lancaster passed over the west end of the airfield about 500ft above our heads heading south. shame i wasnt up there with it, made the trip worthwhile.

Posted by tony bennett on 14/05/2011 16:40:51:
never had time to get the camera out.

wish they would let you know in advance when they are flying.

There's info on flying displays for this month here.

Details for today from the Excel spreadsheet downloaded from that page are;

BIGGIN HILL 14:30 EAST MOLESEY, SURREY LHS FLYPAST 14:40
HYDE HEATH, BUCKS LHS FLYPAST 14:55
CHARLBURY, OXON LHS FLYPAST 15:15 CONINGSBY 15:55

First two cols are Departing airfield & Time. Third col is display venue, fourth is aircraft (LHS presumably being Lancaster, Hurricane, Spitfire.) Next is display type, then time, finally Landing airfield and time.

So we probably both saw the BBMF en route from East Molesey to Hyde Heath. Though Guildford - or indeed Blackbushe - are a little bit off the obvious route even if flying VFR and keeping clear of the London CT. And they'd have been late at Hyde Heath as it was already two or three minutes past three when I saw them.

One day last summer the BBMF did a flypast at Bletchley Park for a memorial day to the codebreakers. I was in a garden centre not far away when I also heard a loud rumble getting nearer and looked up to see the Lancaster and just a Spit, I think, fly over at about 200 feet. Everyone stopped and looked up, wonderful sight (and sound).