Radio gear compatible with old Sanwa system

Ian Shelley 1

I have some old Sawa gear ( a Conquest Mk2 35mhz set about 20 years old ) which I am dusting off and want to use again after a long lay off.
My question is, what servos and connectors for battery packs can I use. Are Futaba connectors and gear compatible and is the latest Sanwa stuff still usable with what I have?
Any help most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Advert

most servos will work with it although you will have top make sure the polarity of the wires are correct and some old servos might need their plugs trimming to fit

Older Sanwa had completely different servo & battery plugs ( much larger, you cannot trim them! ) Also I think they used a higher voltage Tx battery in some models. Not sure whether the Conquest is like this. If so therefore charger is wrong voltage, wrong plug and wrong polarity. I still have an old Sanwa Black Custom with 2 Rx etc but dont use them for these reasons. Uneconomic. A cheap 2.4ghz set & inexpensive servos will be more economical than buying new nicads and charger. Probably more reliable too.

Edited By kc on 17/05/2011 11:43:07

I had the same Sanwa set but sold it on eBay 3 years ago when I purchased my Spektrum DX7. I used the Conquest for many happy years, it was a fantastic radio and never let me down.

I tried to a use a few old Sanwa servos a couple of months back with my modern receivers but couldn't get them to operate properly, even after changing the plugs and checking polarity. They ended up being donated to someone that wanted them.

KC's right about economy though, you may be better off selling it on eBay, a Swapmeet or a car boot sale and getting yourself something that will give you more options going forward. I think the Planet 2.4Ghz sets are very good value.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, I guess we are trying to save you some time.
You may find compatibility issues with older Sanwa kit, good luck either way.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 17/05/2011 12:04:19

There are 2 types of older Sanwa servos.......the oldest had much thicker plugs and looked like they were made of ceramic. A later old type looked like a Futaba plug without the locating tab, but it has the red lead on the outside ( not the middle like a Futaba)
Presumably swopping the leads to fit Futaba etc would work but it's not worth making it unreliable if you don't know exactly what to do. Reliability is everything in RC.  Servos are so cheap now its not worth messing around.

Why has Sanwa been dropped ...again!....by Ripmax?

Edited By kc on 17/05/2011 12:32:15

the conquest had a std 8 cell pack and i still have some sanwa servos with plugs trimmed that fit into and work with my jr stuff (with lead swop) i know i checked Sanwa has allways be the 3rd/ 4th make out there and as such ripmax is wise to dump it and concentrate on futaba stuff, still it never let me down !!!!

Thanks to everyone who has sent replies. I think I'll try selling it a buying new as I think it may be simpler that way. It takes a while to get back into things after a lay off, but sites like this really help and I'll seek out my local club here in Devon for further assistance. Thanks to all again.

If it's not economical for you to replace nicads etc then it's not really worth anyones money to buy it except for somone who already has Sanwa and needs spares. Otherwise only a gullible newcomer might buy it....... Is it fair to sell it except to a knowledgable buyer?

( I found my Sanwa switch harness etc had black wire corrosion and on the red wire too!  consequently i retired it and didn't sell it on to an unsuspecting buyer) 

Edited By kc on 17/05/2011 18:47:20

Whenever I sell anything I am completely honest in my description and would sell it for spares which is what they are. I never suggested that I would sell the set as complete and working which it isn't. I can't see why a "gullible newcomer" would want a load of spares twenty years old or would know what to do with them.

Obviously Ian is a responsible & decent seller. Once the nicads have deteriorated old basic transmitters are really worthless because the unusual fitting nicads are difficult & expensive to obtain. Switch harnesses may be suspect and crystals unobtainable. And new equipment has a much more modern specifcation whilst prices have dropped enormously. So I cannot see it selling!

I

Edited By kc on 18/05/2011 11:38:56

Ian, I am very pleased with respect your decision. Particularly as i was also a Sanwa user, in my case, there clubman 6 channel, more modern plug and a 3 channel set, which is still in a Kysho car. They were good sets in their day, excepting the polarity of the plug issue, where you could blow the servo amplifier, if careless.

I guess your next thread will be which set? In my opinion it has to a 2.4 set now, that is today's no brainer. As to manufacturer, well......................

Yes, I could really do with some advice as to what set to go for. Is it best to go for a 2.4ghz set as I thought only 35mhz was available. What is the difference? It shows how long I have been out of the loop!!!
Also, I would like to get an ARTF job to get my hand in again, maybe with radio complete.
Has anyone had any experience of any of the Parkzone stuff. The Radian Glider looks OK or how about the Super Cub. I was a fairly competent low wing flyer before my lay off, but I fancy going the electric route as it seems to have come on leaps and bounds. Any suggestions welcome.
Can I say finally how helpful everyone has been and I am grateful for all your help.
Thanks.

I think there will be little argument that 2.4 is a better system from a user viwpoint and is arguably also better at a technical performance level.

I would more than hesitate to recommend any manufacturer, as the changes being wrung by the manufacturers seems never ending. Futaba has two types of 2.4 systems out as apparently JR. Spektrum seems a more open system with one system, but again you hera many arguments about the technical aspects of their system, but does it really matter if it is not as theoretically as good as some systems, it appears not.

Then there is the issue of telemetry systems which are starting to appear some inergrated into the package , others bolt on.

The costs of the various TX & Rx packages vary greatly. I personally would fly no better with a £1000 Tx, maybe you would..

In short I would not know what is a sensible buy