The joy of slope

Sounds to me that ,your model was way nose heavy, if it required extra elevator throw for response, Also sounds like the lift on that dune maybe a little questionable. Or perhaps the wind was not all that square to the face ,its not a rounded face is it ? It also sounds to me that you maybe should seek out another slope flyer to actually show you the ropes .

Flying slope is not like flying power , this comes as a surprise to many people . The usual causes are wrong model for the slope ,IE: incorrect wing loading for the type of slope, no 2 slopes are the same lift wise , Nose heavy causing the need for huge surface throws to achieve response ( usually stall and fall) these are just a few things to be aware of before throwing caution to the wind so to speak . The fact that you continued shows you have what it takes to become slope trash like me will I'm sure with a bit of proper guidance you'll see why once the slope bug bites everything else tends to pale in comparison.

Edited By stephen wenban on 09/08/2011 01:51:41

Advert

Well chaps, I will say this again, I'm a reative newcomer to aero modeling and Thanks to Tim I have achieved some fantastic flights on the Orme with a wide variety of models: Easy Glider, Zeno, Ripmax Mustang (in my avitar) Wild thing, Binary 900 and the SAS Schizo.
I think you have to agree that is a wide selection.
I have flown with the wind at 84 MPH at the lip down to 7 mph (Binary country).
Whats my point? Well I think you have to suit your Skills and model to the prevailing conditions.
My weapon of choice is the Wildthing with a 2 cell 1300 mha battery which sees me through a whole day, YES honest! but when the wind is so strong the seagulls are walking I stick on some balast (an old church roof I found) and when its so strong that we can only crawl to the edge, I stick on some more! How much? well as much as it needs, when the wind is howling, a few onces either way isn't critical but the warning signs that ballast is needed is when I run out of trims.
The really good news is: I havn't had to buy 1 ounce (mililitre) of fuel ...... ever (apart for the car)
As for Combat, I never had so much fun with my clothes on! Bring it on!

Sorry to hear your tale wingman ( forgive me father for I did laugh a little though )
I cant add much to what Stephen has said, other than to reinforce the principle that its always best to try and find an experienced sloper to help with the first few attempts.
Mind you, you could now maybe enter the olympics next year ( if we still have a city left to host them in )

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 08/08/2011 23:48:21:
Nice pics Tim. Heck, it doesn't half get busy up on the Orme. If we see 8 people at the Bwlch on a weekend its a busy day, theres usually just 3 of us week in, week out.

This thread is red hot at the moment eh.

That was an unusually busy day Steve - the leek and Moorland lads tend to travel en mass ( makes passport control a little easier )

Hey guys no sweat! I was just playing at it really as I had no stick-on weights with me so couldn't trim it and I knew the JP Bullet is no great shakes anyway also I was determined not to let the rain spoil things (the tx was inside a bin liner to keep it dry  I must have looked like a right maniac leaping about the dune - if indeed there had been anybody else within sight! Anyway the Bullet lives to fly downhill another day
I think more wind is required at that spot and a tad of sympathy from the wife would have helped (hmmm! throwing off the front side hmmm)

Hi guys
Hoping to have my second outing with my Zagi tomorrow, weather permitting,then I will strip the old covering off, new battery and nice new re-cover.....Can't wait

Phil

Yep, it's on.
Steve e-mailed me to say weather is ok. First flight last week was single figure wind speed, today 15 - 25mph............should be interesting

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 10/08/2011 10:26:33

I'm off up the slope tonight - 20mph+, WSW - that should blow away the cobwebs.
PMP Impulse & RicoShe, Wildthing & Windrider Fox all charged up and straining at the leash.................now which shall I take?
Not sure where to go, will make my mind up after dinner - always think better on a full stomach.

Very pleasant evening.
Blowing 15 -20mph WSW. Slightly off face for any real fun - but any flying is better than none.
Four of us turned up on the South side of Codden Hill with avariety of planes. Geoff and Alex brought along their ST Blazes - hedging their bets with the wind in the direction it was. Can't say as I blame them - should have taken mine as well!
Ended up flying the WT. Not enough lift for the Impulse.
Back home for 8.30 and a pint or two of local cider to mellow out...................perfect.

Posted by Big Phil on 09/08/2011 20:59:14:
Hi guys
Hoping to have my second outing with my Zagi tomorrow, weather permitting,then I will strip the old covering off, new battery and nice new re-cover.....Can't wait

Phil

It's not yellow and black is it??

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 10/08/2011 22:03:46:
Nice pics DF - seems like you had a decent time of it.
Thats an old WT you got there mate.

An oldie but a goodie.
Bought it about 8 years ago from a guy at the LMA event at Cosford. £60 ready to go with a decent (8 channel Futaba 35 meagrehurts) receiver and new Rx battery. Sold the Rx for £25 when I converted to 2.4 gigglehurts. So it don't owe me anything really. Been flown to death and resurrected again.
Was thinking about getting a newer one, but it might get jealous...............

That looked like a nice evening flying DF

Big Phil and I went up the Meio where there were 3 others already there. XC weather said 16mph, but it must have been 40mph up there, certainly the strongest wind I've flown in. I couldn't get the Beevo up but did manage the PMP Synergy, but even that got closer to the slope every time I turned. We did manage to launch Big Phils Zagi and he loved every minute of flying it, with a few hairy moments thrown in. Still, it was all good fun.

Wow, when we got to the top of the slope yesterday I thought, no way will I fly in this wind. I fly i.c up to about 20 mph but this was something else, anyway Steve and the other guys were flying for a while then I decided to have a bash.
Steve launched for me and it took me 3 attempts to get it air borne, i followed his advice and took it away from the slope but every turn brought the Zagi back to the slope, so it was a case of nose down and out again.
When I took the Zagi out last week I was a bit disappointing that it would not loop or roll, well it does, I even had a go at inverted flight.
The landing or should I say controlled ( well not really controlled ) crash ended with the darn thing coming at me like a Scud missile, followed by a nice double cart wheel !!! no damage though.....FUN

Now for the questions I'm afraid.
The covering had something to be desired so I have just stripped it off. The fiber glass type tape underneath has either gone brittle or has started to peal away so I gently took this off as well, the whole model was covered in this . I have noticed that the wing is very 'bendy' now, there is only the wing joining ply strip in it . Is it worth fitting a carbon tube across the full length of the wing and if so where?

As I said, a bit to be desired
Sorry such a long post
Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 11/08/2011 15:25:14

Edited By Big Phil on 11/08/2011 15:25:57

phil-my zagi has been around the block a few times...worse than yours.....i built mine as per the instructions......going off the photos of yours - it looks like the tape has been put on wrong....i wouldn't bother with a carbon spar--its not needed...just req's a good tape job......and reasonable finish....

ken anderson ne...1.... HTP/glider section.....

just had a look on 'google' ...there's loads of info about the zagi--how to tape/finish it......type in zagi and have a look.....

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/08/2011 15:38:20

Hi Phil, did you find the weaved tape was in better condition where it had been covered?

If so the only problem with the old stuff is that it had been in too UV light which makes it go powdery (I beleive).

When you re-do it use god quality branded crossweave tape and cover the entir top with coloured tape to keep the UV's off. Personally I would cover the bottom too.

Do have the manufatcturers advice on how to apply the tape. If not do want it?

Glad you had a good session

Spot on Ian, it was in better condition where it had been covered and the rest powdery.
I plan to cover all the model with coloured tape. Where do I get the cross weave tape from,it looks like the self adhesive tape I have used on plaster board joints.
If you have info on applying the tape that would be great, thanks.
Cheers Ken I'll have a google

Phil