The joy of slope

It was good to meet you Andrew (yes - you got the names right).

The gloves are indeed a good call - though after several years I still cannot abide flying with them on. See you again soon I am sure !

Steve - the thermals went huge after the sun had warmed up the Meio for another hour or two. Mark specked out his mini Graphite to a dot and after gaining height on the slope - I flew Doug the Dogan for about 40 minutes completely away from the slope over the flat top of the Meio making use of the thermals rolling in. It's F3B pedigree (albeit somewhat dated I know) proved itself to be sure. A good day indeed - and always much to be learnt moving from slope lift to thermal lift.

Sorry you cracked your fuse Phil, I hope you weren't disheartened - that Speedo is a breath away from flying superbly.

First post here for quite a time - (though I still read a fair bit) - nice to be back.

Trust me to leave at the wrong time, but I had arranged to be somewhere else in the afternoon. Good to see you back here again Chris, this is the friendliest and most helpful of forums for sure.

On another note Chris, (and Phil), remember I was talking about starting a blog for us down in our little corner of Wales? We need a name for it! All suggestions on a post card please laugh

I forgot about that Steve, thinking caps on guys. question

Chris, I was a bit disheartened to be honest, but 'joy's of sloping' eh.......sad

I had a look at it and the twist in the aileron and it does not look as bad as I first thought.

Thinking about it, that was definitely a stall on my last flight, these things do need more respect than a foamie.

Nice video Steve, thanks for not showing my awful landing.

Just had a thought Steve, not very original, but how about ' Antics of South East Wales Slopers'

Phil

Hi All

Made my inaugural visit to the slope today after 2+ years of fixed wing electric power flying.

I can't claim to have enjoyed the climb up at my stage of life and state of health but boy was it worth it. A 30+ mph wind but surprise, surprise it was actually warm on the top of a Scottish hill. I've felt it colder in August. I have recently been flying a powered zagi from the flying field in some pretty strong winds so had an idea what to expect but the Wildthing certainly lived up to its name. I could become a complete howligan with this, after a bit more practice I might add. cool

I'm off to study the ordnance survey maps to find a hill somewhere round here that has a road going up it laugh

Alwyn

Yep once that bug bites there is no turning back welcome to you new addiction ,and dont worry to much about the climbs after a season you'll be able to crack walnuts between your calf muscles

and then you get really addicted and start building PSS models lol

my lastest and if you want some thing to look like aluminium you use aluminium

Edited By stephen wenban on 21/02/2012 22:36:35

Posted by Mark Williams 13 on 21/02/2012 18:10:46:

Steve, Phil and Chris,

How about V.I.A.G.R.A. - Valley's Independent Aerobatic Gliding Retards Association!

Phil,

Slap some glue on it and throw it off a cliff mate! Andrew, nice to meet you and glad to see you enjoyed your first sloping, great fun eh?

V.I.A.G.R.A. ? I don't think we have ANY problem getting models up Mark, just point them into the wind and give em a good chuck laugh

Well the weekend is almost upon us once more, and Friday after work will see me heading up to sunny Blackpool to visit family, but that doesn't mean NO FLYINGwink I'm going to take a couple of foamies, (WT and Flying Wings Hawk) to fly off the sand dunes at Lytham St. Annes, which should be interesting as I've not flown off dunes before. I was last up there at Xmas and took a walk along that stretch of beach. I watched the gulls hovering and traversing along the dunes so, if they can do it, so can I cheeky

Whatever the rest of you are doing this weekend, have fun.

I see for £135 I can have an air tow flight in a real glider taking me to over 1 mile high and they let me take the controls too smiley. I may have to treat myself in the summer! I did have a few flights in a Blanik back in my RAF days, and flying the models and watching some YouTube videos has given me the urge to try the real thing again.

Wonder if they'd let me have a go at some ridge running lol wink

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 28/02/2012 15:19:01

Sorry to hear that Steve. sad

I'm hoping to attempt the big climb up cardiac hill again tomorrow but I don't think it will be as mild as it was last week. But, as you say, when the bug bites you've got to scratch the itch it leaves behind. laugh

I've been making good use of Google Earth since last week and i may have found somewhere not too far away that although possibly a longer walk may be more gradual so I'll go and have a look later this week.

Alwyn