Reccomend me a cheap electric trainer that gives good performance

250quadguy84

Hi there,

I am after a cheap electric trainer that gives good performance, good outside flight and can climb at a good rate to help me learn to fly.

I have a bigger model (WOT4 with IC engine) however I need something thats RTF or BNF that will work with my Spektrum DX6i radio.

I am after something thats also easy to fix and not expensive

I have been looking at a Parkzone Micro Sukhoi Su-26xp BNF however not sure if this will be slightly too under powered for me?

Thanks

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/07/2018 22:56:43

Darren - the Micro Suhhoi is NOT a trainer!

Black Horse do a good electric trainer - see for example here. But it is of traditional wood construction - its ARTF but made of wood. If you are specifically looking for a foamy I don't have much experience of foamy trainers so can't really comment.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/05/2011 10:10:24

I agree with Beb, avoid the micro Sukhoi, it is not a trainer.
The Parkzone Super Cub LP may be a closer match with it being BnF and quite affordable.

For a foamy electric trainer you can't go wrong with a Multiplex EasyStar, especially if you upgrade it by adding ailerons and a brushless motor & ESC.
20minute flights are easily common on a 3s 2200mAh Li-Po.

If you want your foamy to be the size of a traditional trainer then check out the Multiplex Mentor

Your budget limits you somewhat Darren, it may be worth saving up to get what you need as opposed to buying what you can.

If you haven't already, go along to a club on a Sunday, speak to as many people as you can and tell them that you are looking for a budget trainer to get you started, hopefully somebody may be able to help you out, many do.

The BMFA website lists clubs for your area.

How about posting a Wanted advert on the BMFA Classifieds website or looking at the 'for sale' section?

www.flyingwings.co.uk might have something close to what you are looking for if all else fails.

Well the other alternative Darren is to maiden your WOT4 - its featured on here a few times and looks pretty near completion - surely that's your best bet?

Alternatively there is a Graupner trainer someone turned up at the club with recently - very smart and he got it for about £60. Can't remember the name...I'll have a look and come back to you. Its not specifically an electric trainer but it could probably be adapted.

BEB

Yes, here it is - a Graupner "Sky Hero III" Webbies have it for £54.99 which is incredable value in my opinion. Good quality model - as Graupner stuff always is - and very cheap.

The one I saw at the field had an OS55 in it and went really well - flew very nicely even in a fairly stiff breeze. Seems solidly constructed - but it is wood and wouldn't be as easy to mend as foam - but no more difficult than any other classic trainer.

BEB

I test flew a mates ST Discovery last week, and after a couple of circuits, and a landing, handed him the box, upon which he did his first ever ROG, a touch and go, and a landing.
The model is IMO, excellent. Ready built, literally 30 minutes work to fit a receiver and bind. Then fly.

There seems to be a tendancy these days to use models "that make a good trainer" (which doesn't always turn out to be the case) rather than those that really are trainers. This usually works out okay in the end but in some cases has made the all important landing training take longer than it would have otherwise done with a more stable purpose designed trainer.

Bear in mind also that many small foam aircraft are very light and that can limit your flying opportunities if there's a spell of breezy weather.

With those thoughts in mind you might like to look at two electric trainers from Seagull Models. These are of the traditional trainer build and layout and should do the job well. I have flown an e-Pioneer a couple of times myself and found it to be up to the job but I can't really tell you any more about either of them than that.

This adds to your many choices and ultimately it's up to you and your instructor whose advice would be invaluable I'm sure.

Hope that is useful, Ian

Ooh just seem Tim's post re St Discovery that crossed with my original and that reminded me that I've flown one those a few times. I agree with Tim that, that is a nother good option.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 26/05/2011 11:37:03

What about GWS Slow Sticks? I have heard that these are ok to learn with?
?
That Graupner "Sky Hero III" looks good, however I would want this trainer to be electric.How easy would this be able to be used as electric?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/07/2018 22:59:02

Again ST Discovery looks great, however outside of my budget looks like it would cost £200 to get everything in it?, if I was going to pay that much, I would just go for a WOT Foam-E

Out of curiosity, is the WOT Foam-E able to be used as a durable model? or this is as fragile as my WOT4 MK2 balsa model?

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/07/2018 23:00:49

Have a look at the MS Blade Dancer.
EPP, Kit about £50, handles a bit of wind.
Would recomend some strenghening of the front fuselage (from mid chord forwards)
A cheap bell motor with 1000 mAh 3s should give adequate training performance.
With more power will 'do the book'.

Edited By Mowerman on 26/05/2011 12:12:17

A young kid (? 10 years old) came to the field last weekend and flew the ST discovery. Just pitched up and flew. I thought he knew how to fly, turns out it was his first flight and the plane's maiden flight. It looked like it's CoG was all wrong but he did two flights and two reasonable landings! It certainly looks quite a benign plane given the fact that the balance seemed off.

I just purchased the ST Model Discovery and a 11.1v 2200mah lipo with dean connector

I am going to whip the Spektrum AR7000 reciever out and borrow this for the time being

How much flight time will I be likely to get with this 2200mah 11.1v lipo?

I will buy another lipo at some point.

Posted by on 26/05/2011 12:14:44:
Just spoke to a shop who reccomended the ST Discovery, I am slightly tempted now.
?
About the same wingspan of my WOT, they are selling it for ?102 and all that is needed is a lipo and a reciever
?

?
Thats my point - they are cheap for what you get. We got his from Steve Webbs for a shade under ?100, and considering all servos and powertrain are included, I think its hard to beat - especially as its a VERY GOOD TRAINER.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/07/2018 22:59:32

We were getting at least 10 minutes from a 2200 pack, but TBH it was a tad tailheavy IMO, and larger capacity battery would be no problem at all.
He fitted a £6 "Orange" clone spekky 4 channel rx, and 3s lipos are ten a penny these day.
I reckon he was in the air for approx £115 all in.