Anyone attending the BMFA Nationals 2011?

Carl I can send Ali Machinchy a message asking if you would like? I was talking to him earlier through Facebook messages, so i could ask him for you if you want? I'll be there on the Sunday, 'early' and then leave late. There for the Giant Swapmeet, and to watch some great pilots!

Ali is showline this year, isn't he? He told me he is flying alot.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/08/2011 23:40:05:
Last year we had a suceesful meet-up on the Sunday - about a dozen of us all met for an hour or so and it was good fun. Shall we have another go this year? If David has no objection we could meet up at the RCM&E stand - would make sense.

Please do Be great to meet everyone, old friends and new.

I'll be there camping Fri afternoon to sometime mid Sunday. See you there

Afraid I'm not bothering this year. Last year was a washout, and cost a fair old bit of money in petrol and accomodation....just to get wet. I dont do camping anymore - I like my creature comforts far too much these days.
Its a long drive from where we live, and frankly, I find its the same old thing show after show. I'd much rather do local fly-ins etc.

So - I'll be flying model aeroplanes all weekend instead of watching and spending money

Now I'd very much agree with you about shows Tim - I'm more or less done with them as well. Didn't enjoy Weston Park (and thought it grossly overpriced) and I didn't bother with Woodvale - first time I've not gone in years. Give me good fly-in any day.

But I feel the Nats are different. I usually don't bother with the showline - same old pilots same old show - but its the chance to watch so many things that are different, that I don't see everyday.

Control line team racing, control line pulse jets, pylon racing, IMAC, "The Lords of Scale", Free-flight etc. etc. The variety and the fact that you can drive around the field where ever you like has me hooked. There always seems to be something to see - not to mention quite simply the biggest trade presence anywhere and the hangar bar at night!

BEB

PS If I remember correctly you came on the Sunday last year Tim - and yes the problem was that was a wash out! Literally!

Hi,
Well I was going, made and paid for the reservations etc and paid up for the flying only scale event with my edf Gloster Meteor. Just had the bombshell arrive that due to the numbers entered they are invoking the rule of having to have obtained previous competition scores in the year prior to the competition being entered! As this is my first competition in many years I have just been told that I can't enter as there are two many competitors (Me) for the F4c and flying only (As they share the same flight line) and I don't have previous history as per this new rule....If someone can tell me where its written, please do. I've scoured the BMFA website and the last issue recieved of the BMFA magazine (Fairey IIIf on cover) and can't find anything about it. When I submitted my entry via direct call with the BMFA HQ I was told the entry numbers aren't high so there should not be any issues!!
Have a good Nats those that are going

Ady

Edited By Ady Hayward on 22/08/2011 20:14:02

Hi Ady, I think it has nothing to do with you not being on the favoured list (didn’t know there was one), what the problem is that the scale is getting to many entry’s for the time and space they have so at the beginning of the year they said that to qualify for the nationals you’ll have to have scored 80% flight score over the last two years (including the nationals) or 90% in this year.>>

I don’t think I have seen it on the web site either but everyone who has competed at one of the bmfa scale competitions throughout this year was made aware of it so giving the one’s interested in doing the nationals the opportunity to get a qualifying score.>>

steve >>

Hi Steve,
I meant the favoured list up above pulling my strings. Seems my fairy godmother has a few weeks off.
seems even the scale flyers in our club  who have been helping me were not aware either (John Carpenter and Mick Reeves) so I guess its just my bad for trying to get in to the competition scene. Maybe in the next couple of years if work doesn't interfere again.

Cheers

Ady

Edited By Ady Hayward on 22/08/2011 21:32:12

Edited By Ady Hayward on 22/08/2011 21:40:20

Hi Ady, sorry I misinterpreted your statement. As you know Mick and John have both competed this year as always and they have a board there with flight order of the day and flight scores and on the same board is the normalised scores so you can see if you’ve qualified. http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/qual2011.html.

Hope I done that right.>>

Good luck in getting a qualifying score for next year you’ve certainly got some good helpers.
Steve

Thats bad news Ady,every year I mean to have a go at competition, and would love to enter the Nats, but always lose my bottle, usually blaming a lack of practice etc etc.
I do remember reading something though, it nagged in my mind that if I wanted to have a crack this year I would have to fly at a regular scale meeting to qualify. I briefly scoured my mountain of mags to no avail. I have a feeling it might have been Simon Delaney in FSM. I seem to recall they were also talking about a new stand-off class now that clubman has run its course. I could of course be totally wrong as usual.

But you are right it really should be on the BMFA website at the very least.

Cheers
Danny

The way my work is flying drones It is difficult to tie in with specific dates until the last minute, (usually a couple of days) so it is very difficult to pre arrange getting to an event. (Ask Richard Scarbrough). Its just a pain having asked very explicitly if competing numbers are ok and can I enter, to pay up, book and pay in advance for everything then be told at the last couple of days..sorry you can't compete. makes you think why bother, just fly at the fun fly's

Ady

Hi,
I found the reference to the qualification requirements. Its in the June edition. Unfortunately i have neither the May or June editions.
Its just frustrating to have prepared, booked, paid for things only to find at the eleventh hour that I was not eligible to fly after talking explicitly with the BMFA at the time of booking. Its a pity the information was not available there to state the issues at the time of booking. I apologise to those that may have been offended by my frustrations.

Adrian