DSMX transmitter recall

Ed Darter

Just a heads up that a friend received an email this morning from Horizon hobby describing a random issue with DSMX transmitters when used in DSM2 mode with lower end DSM2 RX's. Apparently they can go into a 'hold' and a recall is being organised. Instances are very rare, but no mention as to whether there is a specific set of actions to induce the behaviour.

Not sure if I should post the original email details here but happy to do so if the admins say its ok. Basically lists the PID's affected for DX6i, DX5e, DX4e, DX7, DX8, JRP9503 and JRP9303.
Apparently it only happens with the following RX's:
AR500, AR6100, AR6100E, AR6110, AR6110E, AR6200 and AR6300

It should be noted that using the TX in DSMX mode is absolutely fine !

Hopefully with Horizons excellent customer service this will be sorted out asap!

Edited By Ed Darter on 02/06/2011 13:29:11

Advert

Sporadic? there seem to be at least 7 rxs and 13 lots of txs affected seems to me it's a cock up of far greater magnitude than the futaba one.
Incidentally just changed over to google chrom so this is my first post in a long while. 

Edited By John Gibbs on 09/06/2011 20:46:18

I see the Spekytrum knockers are coming out of the wood work !
My Dx8 is one of the recall batch, but i have experienced no problems so far as I am aware. My mate despatched his Dx8 to Horizon on Monday and got it back by Thursday. Excellent service and not something difficult to fix it would appear.

Mine is on the list too - not that I've had a problems with it. I was hoping HH UK would deal with mine (I'm in France) but they couldn't and Glenn referred me to the French distributor.

Typically, nothing about the recall is listed on their website - and they say that ALL returns, warranty or otherwise, are at the expense of the customer.....

Having no faith whatsoever that I'll get any sort of satisfaction from them (customer service is an unknown concept here), I'll wait until I'm back in UK next month, when HH will sort it for me.

Pete

Would rather stick with a manufacture that omits there are faults and then corrects them in a professional manner - as spektrum are doing here - than use a company that gets fewer errors but then doesn't help with there resolution.

My DX8 is off getting mended and will soon be back! The only bug bear is that I'm now not going to maiden my new brace of flying wings this saturday, I have a DX6i but as the rxs are embedded in the foam i'd rather do it once than keep recovering.

Posted by James M on 10/06/2011 12:03:55:
Would rather stick with a manufacture that omits there are faults and then corrects them in a professional manner - as spektrum are doing here - than use a company that gets fewer errors but then doesn't help with there resolution.

My DX8 is off getting mended and will soon be back! The only bug bear is that I'm now not going to maiden my new brace of flying wings this saturday, I have a DX6i but as the rxs are embedded in the foam i'd rather do it once than keep recovering.

When I have the Rx buried and inaccessible, I usually fit a short extension lead to the battery/bind socket, and leave it poking out. power is fed via any spare socket. This way, I can bind /re-bind to different Tx s

When I have the Rx buried and inaccessible, I usually fit a short extension lead to the battery/bind socket, and leave it poking out. power is fed via any spare socket. This way, I can bind /re-bind to different Tx s

Thanks Tim

A simple and elegant solution to a problem that has baffled me for the last 3 years.......I guess age has it's benefits......

Was going to point out that they are powered wings, and this wouldn't work, but then remembered that the bind/battery socket is the one before the throttle circuit!!

Now all I need is a a brace of short extension leads..........but as the house has been newly decorated and the spares boxes aren't were I left them, I swear that they grow legs and move when I'm not looking......this will mean another trip to the LHS.........such a hardship

Murphys law

I found out about this recall two hours ago, exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes after I sold my dx6i on bmfa. If only I had seen the bulletin before I would not be without a transmitter for a week. Looks like the DX8 is off for a trip.

I have to say apart from the inconvenience in having to send it back and wait in on Wednesday for it to be collected Horizon's customer service is excellent.

Steve

I brought a Dx6i DSMX (mode 2) TX + AR6200 RX from Kings Lynn model shop the other week. Do i need to get it checked? If so do i return it to Kings Lynn or direct to HH?

Thanx

Happy flying

Tom

Look for the PID number which is on a sticker inside the battery compartment, Tom, then go to the link David Ashby has provided at the top of the thread. If your number starts with HS, HH, HT, HE or HA, then follow the instructions on the HH site. Notify them through the site and they'll arrange to have the Tx picked up by Fedex and you'll get it back, probably within 4-5 days. No point in taking it to the LMS.

Pete

One more thing, Ive got the DSMX transmitter but i don't know if i run it on DSM2? SHould i send it anyway?

Thnx

Happy flying

Tom

I think the AR6200 is DSM2 only. If you have the new DX6i with DSMX, I think you'll need to get it checked. If the Rx isn't specifically DSMX, like the AR600, AR8000 etc, then the Tx defaults to DSM2, so it may need the adjustment.

Pete

Just to add to the heads up, Greenacres MAC are considering their options and consulting the BMFA about this issue and the RCM&E Fly In.

It seems to me, quite likely that pilots will not be able to fly at the event with a DSMX transmitter and one of the receivers in question. Unless the transmitter has had the upgrade at HH.

I really like my dx6i and dx8 but is seems to me that in there eagerness to place items on the market full testing is a little bit lax i'm going to lose both my transmitters for a week or so and the dx6i has been recalled before as were the 500 receivers as things get more complicated the more to go wrong . I wonder that if a plane now dos some damage to a person or property and you had not sent it back for an upgrade who would pay the insurance if Geenacres are talking to the BMFA about it must be some concern over it

Martyn

the reason i say is because i was flying my fms mustang a couple of weeks ago on its maiden and it nose dived straight in to the ground and is now beyond repair because i lost control of the elevator and then i would regain control and then lose it again ,anyone thinks that they may replace my plane as it was brand new ?

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/06/2011 14:25:50