Six Different Quick Build Fun Planes

Advert

Pete's just called me to say the prototype PL Bipe is nearly finished .had a look via the video phone and i'm sure it will be well received .
When the Bipe and Dart are test flown we will collaborate to design the PL Auto-gyro, that will give Richard a laugh.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 07/07/2011 20:24:39

Tom,
If I can assist in any way just let me know? (regarding you know what)

Every time I see you post a new model it puts a smile on my face..I can tell you are really enjoying yourself

The delta looks really good by the way, good luck with the maiden.

I know you have many ongoing PL models on the go (and they all look fun), but how about a canard??...now I can here the grey matter ticking!

Keep up the enthusiastic work up...beats any ARTF hands down!

Rich

Without a doubt Fly Boy 3, he should give himself a pat on the back!

If you want a real challenge Tom how about something like this?

This was the very best flight, it has the aerodynamics of a brick! but I did manage a few 'laps' LOL!

I'm sure if I had of built it lighter I would have had more success. If you want the plans 'just for a look' I can email them to you in PDF format.

Rich

Now then Richard that's really throwing the gauntlet down LOL.its on the list ,I think roll control may be a principle focus point with that one.Thanks for the offer on (we know what ) your experience will be invaluable .Thanks for the comments and video.

FB3. Thanks,a reply over on Twin Boom.

Tony I have PMd you.

Thanks all.
Tom.

PL Dart.
Dreadful weather again no flying ,but did get all the control surface push rods installed .leads routed ,RX set up ,and the Motor ESC in.
Could be test flown at this stage ,before the underside is finished off as the c/g is an unknown at the moment,and the placement of the main wheels does require the optimum c/g to be established.

PL Dart.
Well that was interesting ,went to do the test flight and a big black thunder storm let loose about 6 mls to the east.
The wind was not to bad so i decided to give it a go ,just resting on the palm of my hand and opening the throttle with my teeth... it shot off a bit nose down but just managed to check the elevator and trim, it was moving at a reasonable pace so i throttled back and gave the sticks a good waggle surprisingly it turns out to be docile as a kitten ,fitting in nicely with the rest of the PL series.
After 5 mins or so the storm decided to come in and join me ,so a quick landing and dash for the car,hope to get out again before dark an do a more detailed assessment.

PL Dart.
Managed to get out again in between storms and had a very enjoyable 20 mins flying ,the c/g is just in front of the cross spar so that works out well as a strong point for the main wheels.
The speed range is really impressive ,in still air it slows down to near walking pace ,yet open up and its away at a very respectable turn of speed ,the control response at speed is positive but not at all twitchy ,and stability is good enough to fly hands off .
The turning circle is virtually in its own length , landings can be achieved with little or no forward speed with no tendancy to drop a wing.
The Dart is probably the quickest of all to build ,and is extremely robust ,the basic concept also lends its self to various changes to the profile from Concord to fast jet .and can still be built a a ridiculously low cost.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 08/07/2011 21:26:47

PL Dart.
A little midnight oil ,and the underside is tided up by fitting the half section PL ,this stiffens things up without using a spine.
One thing that came to light during the flight test.was a tendancy to become directionally unstable if held at a very high angle of attack ,it would just tend to slowly rotate without loosing height ,quite a interesting and entertaining maneuver.
The cure is to add fin area to the underside (a sub fin) .

The latest addition to the underside.

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the inspiration !
I'm in the process of making a PL flyer. Question, how much dihedral under each wing tip ?
Regards,
David.

Hi David .
Welcome to the PL builders group,do post photos of progress and any ideas that others can look at.
I assume your build is based on the tipped dihedral version ,if so 3" under each tip. Or if its the version with the dihedral at the center only again 3" under each tip will be ok.
Thanks for the interest ,look forward to hearing from you again.
Tom.

PL Dart.
Hi All.
Looking for a break in the weather to flight test the effect of adding tip fins , extra fin area under the wing would without doubt improve the directional stability at high angles of attack ,but want to keep the underside free of of protrusions ,so a version without u/c is practical.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 09/07/2011 15:36:33

Tom, what Tx have you got? for solo launching my wings I have a on/off mix on the gear switch which gives 0/100% of the throttle. Then I can put the switch to "off", put the throttle safely to 100%, pick up the model and then flip the gear switch with my right hand whilst using finger/thumb on the airelon/elevator switch. No teeth throttle control needed

Hi Ben.
Thanks for the tip, but this was a one off test flight prior to fitting the keel and undercarriage.
The mix you suggest could be handy for any EP model that requires a hand launch.
The PL Darts easy going flight characteristics ,did give time to swoop hands quite easily.