Six Different Quick Build Fun Planes

The completed model inclusive cost under £ 25 just add rx.all parts bought new,except gws spinner. Inherently stable will fly hands off at full power ,and land its self with no control inputs,if its correctly trimmed of course.
10 min average from a charge (500ma lipo) landing speed into 2-3 mph wind 6-8 mph ,max wind speed safe flight demonstrated 10-14 mph , vne estimated 30mph ,
climb rate est 200-350 ft per min.Build time less than 8 hrs.Power max 40 W.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 12/06/2011 14:59:04

Well hello DF.
Its perhaps to simple for plans or publication ,but simplicity and low cost is what this one is all about.
Your Wing Dragon or a Pico Stick would cost best part of £40 then you need to buy servos esc motor etc ,so my design would be of some interest to some simply due to the low cost and practicality.
I would be interested to know why you could not build one from my thread?

Don't misunderstand me Tom!

I could build one from the thread i'm sure, but as you said, it is attractive because of it's low cost, and to be honest i think it's great that you do this sort of home made mish mash stuff, i mentioned putting it the mag because 1, it would enable those that do not have or do not wish to use the internet to see it, and 2, i can be alittle old fashioned in the sense that sometimes it's nice to sit down and open something you can touch and feel and read stuff like this without the need to boot up the comp etc... and if building it, you can refer to the mag easier maybe than booting up the comp, reading a bit....then forgetting it, yes i know we can take laptops into the shed etc, but i think it would be much easier to refer to the mag, that was all.....

I just had to edit Toms original title as I simply dont think the thread was getting the attention it deserves!
We used to build plastic square section drainpipe models ( IC ) some years back, but this is another stage further, and obviously suits the new leccy stuff too.
Great stuff Tom

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/06/2011 02:01:35

Thanks for the feed back DF i appreciate and understand the points you make .
I suppose its my reluctance to draw plans that inhibits publishing designs ,most of the stuff i have done is much more complex than the oddball designs i have put on the forum to date.
What i do is out of interest in all things flying full size and models ,if i get an idea i do the calcs and dimensions ,mark reference points on the board build it ,and go fly it.
I don't have much interest in the money making side of things its a hobby, but if anyone wants to draw up plans i am happy to supply the required information.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 02:19:06

All so found 6mm thick blue foam for wings and tails at screwfix .1M x 750mm for £24.99
There are eight sheets in a pack so that's £3 a sheet ,and you can get two wings out of one sheet ! as you were three wings from one sheet!

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 19:15:34

Tom,
I like the idea of using 'around the house' items, looks very neat. I think you are going to have a lot of fun with that machine and that's what it is all about.

Good luck with the maiden.

Rich

HI FB3.
have done the full flight test video and trying to load it via PB but it wont ... Aaaaaaa.

Rich and FB3
Any way the flight went well despite the howling wind.
Trying to get back to the twin boom incidence check,yours should be ok just use the rudder tops as a reference and set the tail top surface in line .

Cheers.
Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 23:18:45