Death of a 'Little Friend'

Tim Campling

This happened several months ago but I'm only just about over it. I'd just rebuilt the wings after Horizon Hobby had replaced them (faulty retract supports/poor QC).
Perfect conditions for the re-maiden and quite a few members at the patch. I'd assembled the model at home to save time. After the usual pre flight checks all seemed good. The Saito throttled up and a she took to the air smoothly. She flew beautifully with poise and authority. After minimal trimming I tried a few gentle aerobatics and then a low pass up the strip. As I pulled up and away from the pits at full throttleI realised I had no control. Everything seemed to go in slow motion, I tried all the controls, tried to shut the throttle, I could even visualise the flight path. As forseen she pulled round to port, climbed and then dived. Crashed through a tree, ripping off the wings and the prop bades, I can remember hearing the engine revs rise before she hit the ground leaving a 2 inch deep gouge in the field.
Everything was broken or pulled apart and I was gutted. It was obviously radio failure of some sort so I reconnected the flight pack to test, all fine. Then I realised there was no retainer on the battery plug. I've searched but this had not been ejected at the crash. I had forgotten to replace it when I assembled the model after replacing the wings and it must have separated under the g loads.
I lost over £300 worth of model for the sake of a 50p clip. BUT more importantly I had a 13lb out of control missile in my charge and that is what still haunts me.
I guess I was over eager and paid the price but it could have been worse. Not a mistake I'll ever make again.

Next project the 120 YT Spit.

just 2 weeks ago, i but these clips under the noses of my mates at the crossgates shop in leeds, no-one bought any, with the excuse, i only have ailerons to plug in, i mentioned the battery pack, but still no purchase, there problem,

i commiserate, we have all done such things, learning from our mistakes, but damn, its painfull, hope you have better luck with the YT spit,

Oh Tim, so sad. We all do it of course - the rush of enthusiasm, then miss a vital check. But boy does it hurt! And while the money is an issue, its not really the money is it, its the loss of an attractive promising model.

I'm a devil now for clips on plug/socket joints after I had a "near miss" a while ago when one aileron went "out" on me due to a parted lead. And I saw a mate put another model in recently exactly like yours - only this time it followed a heavy previous landing. Obviously it partially separated the plug and the joggling at take off next time did the rest. As you say we live and learn - a 50p clip can save a lot of heartache.

Hope you have better luck with the Spit - nice

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Alan 4 on 06/07/2011 21:23:22:
just 2 weeks ago, i but these clips under the noses of my mates at the crossgates shop in leeds, no-one bought any, with the excuse, i only have ailerons to plug in, i mentioned the battery pack, but still no purchase, there problem,

i commiserate, we have all done such things, learning from our mistakes, but damn, its painfull, hope you have better luck with the YT spit,

Er, wot clips are these!?