SC 120FS - will it pull the larger Black Horse Chipmunk

Peter Eve

I have an SC120FS lyinh idle as a result of my incompetence! I fancy a Chipmunk but the smaller BH model would appear not to need such a large engine. The 45cc petrol version is only a few inches bigger than the RM276 plan version which seems to take a 90.

has anyone any suggestions, please?

Advert

It does seem a bit OTT - certainly if you're looking for reasonable scale performance. I wonder whether the tail has been built heavy to counteract the engine weight or if the battery is designed to go quite far back? If the latter is the case then I would imagine that with the 120 you should end up with a lighter overall package which probably is no bad thing.

My Airsail Chipmunk:

(quite a bit smaller at 1/6 scale - 69" span but not particularly light at 8 1/2 pounds with on-board glow etc.) is adequately powered by an OS 52 - although many people overpower these models with 70s and even 90s. I use not much more than 1/3 throttle for take-off to avoid it getting off in a couple of lengths, which looks most un-scale like. The designer told me that the prototype flew on a "well used OS40FS" and I can easily believe him.

Edited By Martin Harris on 07/07/2011 12:05:16

I have a OS91FS in the smaller BH Chipmunk and although the extra power is fun, it is, in my opinion, overpowered. The full "scale-like" flight envelop can be done on 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.

In my view a 70FS would be fine in the smaller one. Given that, I can't see a 120 failing to deliver the goods for the larger Chippy - especially if you are a fan of scale-like flying performance.

BEB

I have a fairly small electric motor in my big Black Horse Chippy and its fine if you are happy with scale aeros. I have to enter a loop from a shallow dive, but to me that's fine.
Andy Glover has been campaigning one of these Chipmunks in flying only at scale comps all over the UK, with great success. The motor he uses.... an SC120

Mine weighs around 11lbs and is a great flyer. Ditch the pilots though they weigh nearly a pound.

Cheers
Danny

my 88" span miles sparrohawk is fitted with one of the original OS 120 four strokes, it easily well powered, a 1/4scale all laser cut out with big holes everywhere chipmunk would should be easily powered by one of the modern 120s, should do the simple aeros the full size was cabable of in the hands of a cadet,

• 2 years later...

Hi Redex, my Chippy is still going strong. The motor is quite small, it being a Turnigy SK4260 x 500 developing around 1300 watts on a 15 x 10 at full throttle. The cells are Turnigy 2 x 5S 5000mAh in parallel to give 5S2P the flight times are between 20 and 30 minutes depending on how much you throw it around. But over 40 flights an average flight is 7 minutes and uses around 2300 mAh.

I noticed the new version has a different method for mounting the oleos, hopefully it will be a bit stronger. I managed to knock a leg out sideways by landing in too strong a crosswind. I have subsequently fitted some Unitracts oleos, they make the ground handling so much nicer.

If you need any further info just shout wink 2

Cheers

Danny