1st go at it

Simon Williams 2

Hi all.
Found a field owned by a nice chap who didnt mind me flying from it. Excellent!
Went on down there last saturday to have my 1st serious attempt at flying my trainer. I set it all up, checked the controlls and in a Jeremy Clarkson type way shouted Power!!! and expected my model to shoot gazelle like accross the grass and leap into the air..... It didnt. The grass was too long and so all it did was scythe a neat curve into the ground.
Not to be put off I picked it up and hand launched it at full throttle, and with a gentle push away it flew out straight (excitement!), and began to climb (dellirium!), then went vertical (panic!). Not knowing what to do I let down the throttle and it came out of its climb and with some up elevator was flying level but not very high. But instead of trying to get some hight I started worrying that it was now turning (wether because of wind, the models trim, or my shaking I dont know!). So I thought perhaps I better let It come down and try again but in letting more power off in order to loose height (I didnt worry about putting her down anywhere specific so long as she touched down safe) and trying to turn her into wind I must have caused a stall as she dove into the floor and bounced on her nose onto her back.
The plane was relatively Undamaged as the Alu. motor mount absorbed most of the impact and after some quick work with the pliers and I was ready to go again! But the heavans opened and rain stopped play.
Not a huge success but it did fly and Ive learnt a few things:
1. Mow the grass.
2. Check COG as I think it was tail heavy.
3. Get some height then look to see what its doing.
4. Bring a coat!!!

Still, Cant wait for another attempt!

I know guys.

There are a couple of clubs in the county but I dont think I can commit myself to attending with any regularity, which wouldnt be fair on anyone who put themselves out to tutor me, or justify the membership cost for me. The club is half hour away whereas this field is 2 min. away.
Someone in the know to come and give me some pointers would be great but I dont know anyone else into it ( unless of corse someone from Hereford is reading this and has the spare time and patients to help me get started ), the fella who used to help me fly my glider I havent seen for years, and I dont live in the village any more.

When learning on your own the best model is a vintage free flight model with R/C assist. A Junior 60 is ideal (The Super 60 is not as stable.)

The idea is that if you get into trouble you take your fingers off the sticks and it sorts itself out providing it is trimmed roughly correctly.

The modern trainer is really NO GOOD for learning on your own, they do not recover by themselves soon enough.

I have proved this many times when people have had trouble learning. a couple of long flights on a vintage model and they never look back

Hi Simon,

It is really difficult to learn on your own. Not impossible, but you must expect to break models. Peter is dead right about a vintage model. I had a junior 60. I could lay the tranny on the floor, and it would fly in lazy circles till I told it otherwise

Or go modern, and try a big electric glider

Finally, don't forget to get insured

ernie