Covering Irons

Spice Cat

Covering irons.
I know I have little practice with said item, but it seems quite awkward to use particularly for fine work. The long handle makes for big errors at the other end. I have seen a few photos of modellers using a domestic iron and a smaller version of this suit me.
Does anyone have this problem, are there any other designs on the market and apart from practice; any hints or tip.
Regards.

Advert

I find the "traditional" covering iron fine to be honest - although I also know of lots of folks that just use an ordinary clothes iron perfectly sucessfully. Some pointers:

Use a medium heat setting to attach the covering, then crank it up to do the shrinking phase. I find its much easier to to it like this in two stages rather than straight off in one go.

I also favour the use of a sock - it seems to spread the heat more evenly and protects the underlying wood.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/07/2011 22:47:45:

I also favour the use of a sock - it seems to spread the heat more evenly and protects the underlying wood.

BEB

I find that with a sock I tend to get better adhesion. The only dowside is the glue sometimes attaches itself to the sock. Multicoloured sock anyone?

For fine detailed work I use an iron with interchangable heads, 1 approx 10 mm wide, + 1 domed head great for getting into those ackward places. I think its made by prolux, but looking at SMS website they do not list one.

I did buy it a few years ago.

For years i used a trusty little travel iron but did find sometimes that it would not get into some corners but worked ok for me, then it broke..... so when i covered the hawk.. (twice) i had to use Mrs DF's full sized iron, worked ok but heavy and not as easy to do the fine work.

I do find that modeling irons are in my opinion too expensive for what they are, i know it's probably because you don't buy one every year so they have to make their money... but still i can't justify the expense, i'll just struggle on lol

Slightly off from the original question. but do make sure you don't overheat the film otherwise it will sag after a few weeks, then you tighten it up with more heat which only lasts a few weeks again, although polyester types are much better (and more expensive). If you can, check the temperature with a thermometer, ideally an infra red type but allow for the fact that these give a more accurate temp than the crappy contact type so generally aim about 5deg C lower than the temp recommended by the film manufacturer (found after lots of experiments!). If you don't get a thermometer then do some trials on scrap. It is better to under heat than over, you can always increase the temp if necessary, I never use a heat gun now as you invariable overheat the film and I've got some saggy covered models to prove it