Ben Buckle Galahad

Hi this is my first build blog so please tell me what you think.

OK, that said, I was given a Ben Buckle Galahad for my birthday 2 months ago and I've just got around to starting the build.

On inspecitng the contents of the box I was a little suprised at the brevity of the instructions. I've got used to small booklets with the build broken down into many stages and lots of photos. The Galahad comes with 2 sheets of A4 and only 2 1/2 sides are devoted to build instructions, also there's not a single photo. Probably the reason why I've waited so long before starting .

All the measurements are imperial so if you only understand metric and can't fathom fractions then this is not the kit for you. Fortunately (I think) I'm old enough to remember the days before decimilisation.

I've started the build, as instructed, by laying out the fuselage sides and doing a dry fit. I'll hopefully get around to some glue this weekend.

The power is going to come from an OS max 15FP which I've been running in on a test bed.

This is what the finished plane should look like although I'll probably go for a different colour scheme.

Advert

I built one of these - or more accurately a Mercury Galahad (long before the days of Ben Buckle as a kit manufacturer!) as my second r/c model back in the mid-1970s. I modeified mine though by adding strip ailerons and reducing the dihedral to about half or less the original amount. An Enya .19 powered mine.

I'll watch this thread with interest to see how much (or little) I remember of the construction of mine!

I remember seeing John's (I think) model being flown behind the Foxhunter's pub, Whitley Bay. On the strength of what I saw I bought a kit made the same mods + reduced the incidence to 0 - 0 & powered it with a Fox 25.
I think I might have the original instructions, if I have I'll scan & post them.

PS it would be better powered by a suitable electric motor & 3s lipos.

Quite possible Pat - I did occasionally fly there. (And last weekend I spotted somebody flying there as I drove past - didn't get more than a glimpse of them or the model though.)

But several others in the area had previously built Galahads with similar mods, so it could have been one of theirs. If I remember rightly mine was covered in yukky brown solarfilm - I never was very good at colour schemes for models!

I've never had a Galahad but always had a soft spot for them. Back in the day, as a c/l flying teenager, the Mercury Galahad was the hack model of choice amongst the r/c fliers at my club. It was quite common to see 6 or 7 of them at the patch on a Sunday.

They were tough old boots, and flying characteristics seemed quite forgiving. Good luck with the build

Edited By IanN on 23/07/2011 10:27:39

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Comment on this 'plane. Built my first one in 1983. Every time I crash it the wing survives and the fuselage does not. So I have just built another ( 3 fuselages on)with 2013 fuselage and 1983 wing !!

They fly great on a 0.15 glow and these days the electric power works well - first two glow powered - last one electric.

Big tailplane so elevator is actually quite powerful- be prepared to kill a very steep climb out - not sure how they flew these rudder only back in the day - probably more skilled than I am at trimming.

• 1 year later...