Hairy Gnome

Hello to anybody out there who is interested in this aircraft....

I'm trying to figure out how many of these models are out there and if any others are flying.
I have google searched it and cannot see any pics or forums about it anywhere other than a few dead ends.

If anybody owns, flies, or is building this model it would be great to hear from you. Who knows, we may own very rare aircraft indeed!

Advert

The original was designed & built by the late Brian Park who was a very well known figure in the NE model flying scene. I was a clubmate of Brian's & flew with him regularly.
We both used to go to the Primrose Valley holiday week when it was organised by the publishers of RCM&E. Bill Burkinshaw, then editor of RCM&E, saw take the model from his car & asked him to fly it. After the flight he asked Brian to prepare the plan etc for publication as a freeby in the mag.

The model is small, fast & frantic, not one to relax with but a great fun if you can keep up with it.

Mark.

The designer of the Hairy Gnome,The late Brian Park taught me to fly,He certainly had problems with the design and it went home many times in a plastic bag only to come back again suitably modified,

he would get it in a spin and it would not recover so back in the bag it went,he eventually cured it by altering the tailplane incidence.

His prototype had a Taipan 15 rear exhaust engine and it went like stink and as the name implies very hairy.

I built one with the same engine and gould never get it off the deck,the only way mine got into the air was in the hands of the club expert.

I found it in the loft about 5yrs. ago and it went in the bin.

I may have some pics somewhere ,if i find them i'll stick em on here

Jim

I have the magazine with the plan somewhere but never built one. About 1980 in RCME I think. The plan is RC1418 and should still be avail from MyHobbyStores.

I think the name originates from the Goodies on TV in the 1960's or 70's and refers to one of them who is now well known for natural history live TV.

I built one from the magazine article when it came out, but as I didn't have access to foam cutting gear I used a built up wing. It was covered in silver tex, powered by a PAW 19 and flew just fine though quite fast and nimble, definitely not relaxing. I seem to remember selling it to a clubmate after a couple of years.

As my member pic shows i have built one already. It is built off the original 1980 plan as i have a lot of mags for 1970-1990. As you say it is pretty fast. I've flown it a few times but lack a suitable flying site at the moment. Its hard to get good pics of it because of its speed and size but there are a few in my pics.

Interesting that so few are around. I saw an auction trying to sell the plan and mag for $5 but no one bid. Starting to look like i should put mine in a museum before it gets wrecked!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...

Just thought i would update my old posts with some fresh information / an update...... I moved to Auckland New Zealand a while ago and have since been flying in more noise sensitive and higher populated areas. Unfortunately during the trip my Hairy Gnome got squished by a tent in my car. The resulting damage was admittedly rather minimal, (broken tailplane part way out) but it was enough to prevent me repairing it due to my currently rather busy schedule. (the joy of working class) That combined with being unable to fly IC models anywhere near where I live led to it hanging broken on my wall for the best part of a year....... However, my father in his spare time graciously fixed the tailplane, made a moulded canopy, a partial cowl, and also fitted a decent size electric motor for our noise sensitive site!!!!! Due to a lack of space for the flight battery and concern about the CoG, the nose has been lengthened, but otherwise the model is unchanged. As of yet it has not flown, but has been taxied around our lawn. Total weight came up as 1077grams or 2pound 6oz. about 10oz lighter than the IC even though the electric motor is by far more powerfull. So its cleaner, lighter, and has more grunt, so it should be a bit nicer to fly. Ill let you all know how the test flights go........

For anyone still following this.......

Test flight went ok, still setting up a new transmitter so a bit more work than previous flights but all were ok. However, I flew it again today and noticed a disturbing trend....... The model barely reaches flying speed and is literally hairy just after liftoff. Much yawing for a second or so after liftoff untill it gets flying speed. This was noticed on most flights, but seemed alright, untill it flicked in at a meter altitude. I think the increased windspeeds I have been test flying it in had saved it during takeoff due to flying speed being attained even though ground speed was low. Today was only a medium gentle breeze and it didnt quite make it to the great blue yonder on the third takeoff....... Minor damage after a rather impressive mix of airbourne flicks and ground cartwheels. The detachable motor mount indeed detached, as did the bottom wing, but the rest appears almost undamaged. Possibly some minor fuselage cracking just aft of the wing trailing edge and a bent motor shaft. All in all, not too bad. There is still plenty of de bugging to do, but i shall continue to fly it untill its sorted. Ill keep you posted.........

Back in the air again for another two flights - I ran out of suitable sized, charged batteries. Duration around 5-7 minutes of aerobatic flight. A bit short, but the model will carry 2200mah lipo's when i get around to ordering some. (currently running 1800's). Latest flights conducted in a very light wind on a reasonably smooth grass field. I will add photo's and possibly a video if i can get my head around the technical aspects of it.

• 1 month later...

Dear friends after 30 years from the building of Hairy gnome , yesterday I made the maiden flight of this beautiful bipe. I used my first rc engine OS Max 15.The bipe was incredible ,very stable, agile and with not any bad habits .I was able to slow down and the landing was a dream. The cg is at the leading age of the lower wing, a little nose heavy, but it was my first flight .The total weight is 940gram and I think that this must be the upper border of the weight for this bipe. I am hopping for a new report after the second flight.

Mine ways just over 2 pounds, not sure what that is in kg's. Do you have any problems just after liftoff? Mine is a bit unstable just after liftoff untill some speed builds up. I was wondering if this was due to taking off on grass and not quite getting up to speed fast enough. What kind of take off area do you use? I am now changing to 2200 mah batteries as duration with the 1800 mah lipo's was only around 4 minutes of "spirited" flying. My CoG is the same. I calculated using full size theorems the CoG and the leading edge was correct if ever so slightly nose heavy.

Mark

As you can see to my photos, our club airfield has a rigid runaway so I did not have any problem with the take off or any instability after . The take off speed is moderate and the bipe get into the air after 20m of runnig.The only think I changed to the bipe was the incidence of the upper wing giving 1 degree of positive incidence. I am very exciting than after 31 years I am flying this butty. The bipe make big loops ,avalance,amazing snaps also has very good and axial roll rate( I increase a little the surface area of the aileron and I have 1 mm differential).I hope to have soon more photos from flight and a video.

Charalampos

Thessaloniki Greece

Posted by albatros on 25/02/2013 10:17:22:

Mark

As you can see to my photos, our club airfield has a rigid runaway so I did not have any problem with the take off or any instability after . The take off speed is moderate and the bipe get into the air after 20m of running.The only think I changed to the bipe was the incidence of the upper wing giving 1 degree of positive incidence. I am very exciting than after 31 years I am flying this beauty. The bipe make big loops ,avalance,amazing snaps also has very good and axial roll rate( I increase a little the surface area of the aileron and I have 1 mm differential).I hope to have soon more photos from flight and a video.

Charalampos

Thessaloniki Greece

• 2 years later...

Hi again all, re starting a thread... I am not going to be popular.... How are the Hairy gnomes flying (to the few who have them) Mine has once again been shipped to a new location but has yet to fly due to a lack of a suitable charger... Never got around to the 2200mah swap over either... Anyone else still flying or any new ones in the mix???