Futaba 8FG

Barrie Dav 2

I've used mine with a pupil on buddy - no issues. I've let a pupil use mine - no issues.

It does have one training feature that is interesting but I've never got round to trying it - you can select which channels to give the pupil. I don't see a lot of use for this with fixed wing - but I suspect it might be very useful if you were learning helis

BEB

I have actually used the selective channel allocation system on fixed wing training - the pupil was ready to attempt a take off, but hadn't yet mastered the art of the rudder - so I kept that back for me. Pupil powered up and rotated, but I steered on the ground.
Once pupil had done a few more take offs successfully, I allocated them rudder too.
I thought it was quite a good facility (DX8 )

As Tim's said most common reason to use this facility on fixed wing is to take the rudder off a trainee pilot whose struggling with ground handling which can sometimes be "hot" particularly on a taildragger setup .

Excellent, thanks guys, I'm guessing there will be no issues on voltage then as the buddy tx's at our club are somewhat old, but iirc the buddy lead transfers power at 5v for the circuit boards anyway.

• 1 month later...
My model is now up to 6 channels but I think (if all goes well ) I will add my flycam, smoke and a rudder gyro taking me up to 9 channels

what rx will I need (do I have to use the s bus system to go beyond 8 channels) or can I use a  R6014HS 14-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Receiver and access all 14 channels with the 8fg

Edited By Phil B on 04/12/2011 22:12:25

Hi Phil, I haven't tried this but my understanding is you can use the R6014HS with the extended 8FG without s-bus. As far as I know s-bus really comes into its own when you have multiple servos - ie many more servos than channels. It allows you individually address each servo so you can set up travel, neutral points etc independently for each servo.

BEB

Well, used the 8FG for some time and it is great. best bit is on the trainer function the ability to keep all the limits trims and settings as per the 8FG, so the buddied tx only sends alterations through - means I can set up, give the instructor the mster Tx and sit on the end of a buddy lead without having to readjust!

Just wish weather would let me use it more!

Hello,
I already have the Futaba 6EX 2.4 system along with a few Fasst Rx,
and was looking to upgrade as i have the Parkzone Radian Pro glider and don't have the facility to programme the 4 wing servos.
So today i have purchased the Futaba 8FG Super ,Battery and charger and this will be despatched on Monday..(can't wait).
Was good to read all the input plus have a friend in our club who has the older 8FG and is highly delighted with it.
Will let you know more when it arrives...cheers...Ian

ian - your clubmate can upgrade to the super version, simply by transfering the software, via an SD card from the website. It is really very easy and adds so many features - I deliberatly bought an original when a shop was selling it off (last non-super) and then upgraded the software....

The original 8FG and the Super version is for sale at the same price, I have the original, What receiver is supplied for the Super? Is there an easy "how to program" step by step guide for the TX for various extra and different functions? and to choose the channels as it is not so easy to follow the manual.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Have been using the Futaba 6EX/6EXA 2.4 and 35 systems for a couple of years.

Just before christmas i purchased the 8FG super systems,what a big difference

Will i ever get the hang of allocating switches,dual rates,operating flaps from a switch or even slider.

I have a fun cub,i want to have the flaps come down in stages not flick a switch and they are full down!!!!!

Cheers ..Iansad

Stephen, to update do the following:

1) ensure you have an SD Card and reader

2) download the software to your PC

3) download the update to your PC

4) put your SD card into the slot, then open the software from Futaba.

5) open the update file and transfer it to the SD Card.

6) on the bottom of the 8FG is a small switch, next to the SD Card slot under the battery cover. Move switch to SD card side

7) Insert SD Card

8) Power on

Once update is complete switch off and move the small switch back.

Power back up and it will run on the updated sofware.

Ian,

if you go to Futaba's web site - there is a an FAQ section on each trannie. One of the FAQ's for the 8FG specifically deals with setting up multi-stage flaps. Its a step by step walk-through of how to do it. How do I know? Cos I've used it myself to set up the flaps on my Chipmunk!

Have a look for it - I'll also see if I can dig out the URL for you, but I'm very busy today at work so if you find it fitst just let me know to save me looking if you already have it.

BEB