Futaba 8FG

Barrie Dav 2

I'm thinking of buying a Futaba 8FG and I understand that there is a switch on the transmitter to enable it to be used in the UK or France. I've downloaded a manual but unless I've mssed it, I cannot find a reference to this switchable power output.

Can someone with this outfit please advise me.

Hi Barrie,

I've had an 8FG for over a year and I'm not aware of any such switch. Unless its internal and not in the standard documentation. Futaba have a anexcellent FAQ's page on the website and the facility to post a question - which they usually respond to within 24 hours - you could try that.

BEB

I've recently bought the 8FG Super which is now expanded to 14 Channels. The "switch" you refer to is in the software ie you have to go into the programme and select the reduced power for use in France. It is not a mechanical switch as such.

Yes, very happy. I've not had a single problem with it in the 15 months I've had it and it done everything I've asked of it. Programming is straight forward, I particularly like the ability to link any switch to any function. This even goes as far as being able to activate timers from sticks - so if you are flying electric you can set your timer to start wehn you open the throttle and stop when you close it, then restart when you open etc. Very handy.

The number od preset mixes is also very impressive - so setting up things like flap/elevator and two servo elevators etc is very easy.

The sliders on the back/side of the case are great for flaps and/or undercarriages and fall to hand nicely.

All in all its a hit with me!

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
I am an old modeller that possibly needs to spend more.I bought on e.bay from a private source an 8fg reciever. Fitted in my cap 32 last week I had a distinct gltich as I turned into wind the model rolled uncontroleably for maybe 3 seconds.I continued for a circuit flying and landed .Every connection and linkage was checked and a range check done with no fault found.Back on the bench everything was checked again,the receiver was not very well fastened with velcro so a small garden tie was added to ensure it could not move.
Today I flew it again,the first flight was without event in fact I enjoyed every minute and it responded well even doing a few rolls and a loop or two.
I refuelled and proceeded to fly a couple of circuits on the 2nd upwing leg as I turned it spun and girrated out of control into the deck without any command,I can only blame the receiver as I have several 617fss and an 618fss and have flown them week in week out without a single glitch.
Your comments please
Mikef

the 8fg is the model of transmitter isnt it, not receiver ?
i always think that if you buy second hand equipment theres always a chance its being sold by somebody quite ruthless who has had a problem with it, damaged it etc and just wants rid to recoup some money that doesnt care whos model gets broke as long as theyre not out of pocket by much, its the risk you take for something cheaper than brand new

Yeap, I'm confused here (doesn't take much!) there is no such thing as an "Futaba 8FG Receiver"

The 8FG transmitter works with any of the Futaba FASST Rx's. A list of which you can find here in the left hand column. As you can see there is no 8FG FASST receiver.

Is it possible the receiver you are refering to has the suffix "GF" instead of "FG"? As in R603GF? If so then its a Futaba FHSS system Rx (as shown in the middle column in the linked site above) and it will not work with a FASST transmitter such as the 8FG.

BEB

First thing we need to know is what transmitter you're using Mike so we know whether you're using Futaba's Fasst or FHSS system.

I think you have to be a wee bit careful in La Belle France. They are not quite as disciplined as you all are in the UK .......35 can be difficult, because it is sometimes used (illegally as I understand it) by the gendarms....... 2.4 seems to be bombproof

ernie

• 1 month later...
I thoroughly recommend theT8FG Ive had mine over a year and Im not the most careful person,clumsy some would say.Ive dropped it ,soaked it ,broken switches , and the aerial and its been faithful throughout AAB,the swiches at the top 2 knobs make 2 more and there are to switches at the top towards the rear that slide up and down which makes 12 in all.Ive manage about 2 in total so far,1 for retracts ans one for Rudder Aileron mix on and off.There was a Lancaster at the field Thursday and it had throttle on the normal position for 2 engines and the 2 other engines were on one of the knobs at the top

Several channels are swallowed up by mixes for instance where you have two aileron channels mixed together, the same with two elevators, these would be mixed via software and operated via the same stick Add to this that a three way switch can easily be set up to operate more than one channel.

Edited By Ultymate on 01/10/2011 12:07:05