Futaba 8FG

Barrie Dav 2

3 handy guides on programming the 8FG for a simple trainer, a glider and servo slowing are available here. I can't upload PDF attachements so can't add any here I'm afraid.

Going to try and play with some flight condition programming tonight depending on how my piano wire bending goes!

Olly

No Problem Ian.

BEB - I have a patented easy bend method and bent my 12swg stuff in about 15 minutes for the webbit.

1) measure and mark bend point

2) clamp in vice within approx 2mm of bend point

3) slide 1m aluminium tube over free end

4) Bend using tube

5) repeat.....

• 4 months later...

I have recently purchased a Futaba 8FG Super Tx. Thinking that when new software becomes available it will easily installed to the Tx. The Tx purchased was version 4.1. I noticed on Futaba website there was a Version 5.0 available for download, so I decided, to keep my Tx 'up to date' I would download the software on to the Tx. A 2 GB SD card was inserted into the Tx and was formatted as per instruction manual. Version 5.0 was downloaded to the PC and the SD card inserted into PC card slot. It came up on PC that the SD card was "FULL" and was unable to transfer data to it. I tried several times. ie. emptied card and re formated it in Tx, but with same results . To check the SD card I put it into a digital camera. The camara also registered it as "FULL" Totally confused I contacted Ripmax and explained the situation to them. They explained that the card format was not recognized by the PC but offered no resolution to the problem . They also advised against upgrading the Tx saying that it could damage the Tx. I am a bit confused, Futaba claim that, as new software becomes available the Tx can be upgraded , but Ripmax advise against it. Has anybody had a similar experience? I have emailed Futaba asking them for any comments to the situation.

Terry it sounds like you may have a duff SD card, I carried out the upgrade on my 8FG which basically converts it to a 14 channel set and also adds some other useful functionality. I did the upgrade a few months ago and have had no adverse issues at all. Sounds like whoever you dealt with at ripmax is not well up in the knowledge department.

Are you using the Futaba 'File System Utility' on your PC ?

The 8FG uses a file system that is different from a general PC file system (FAT, NTFS etc) so you can't move/copy the data between the SD card and PC by using the normal Windows 'Tools'.

Look for the FILE SYSTEM UTILITY (438 KB) - updated July 29, 2010
Download 12FG and 8FG data to PC

**LINK HERE**

I think the main problem with the 8FG re the 6ex is that it is different. There is no continuity of feel between the two.

The second issue is that all the channel options are achieved by the user defining many of the linkages and function, rather than embedded in fixed coded actions. The price of versatility I guess.

Although I have purchased a Sim card, I have not used it. For me, it can do what I want, there is no compelling need to update the coding. For tecno nerds, it must be seven heaven, just being at the cutting edge. The option is there though, not to be disparaged.

Actually using it, I find it fine. A bit over th top for my needs though, being a basic flyer.

Thanks Yobyid , Jon and Ultymate. I've tried with the FILE SYSTEM UTILITY. Still no joy ! Futaba we not much help, they just told me to look at the download instructions. I think, as you sugested Jon, I will try other SD cards, although the one I used was new . Once again, thanks. Terry

The file system that the tx uses is Fat32, which won't see capacities over 2GB, which is the same problem that Windows '95 used to use. Ok to use SDHC via a USB card reader that doesn't use Fat32 - NTFS instead - have both types and found a 4GB card in my older card reader locked the USB port up.

Don't know why they still use Fat32 - suppose the coding is cheaper for the job it needs to do.

Really Fat32 can support just under 4GB, but 4GB is one Byte too far, probably done on purpose by Microsoft to make older equipment redundant. (example a software house brings out a patch to convert Fat 16-32 to NTFS. Company is bought out and patch is unavailable...)

Edited By Paul Marsh on 18/07/2012 21:40:51

• 2 months later...
Posted by John Sheehy on 28/09/2012 05:19:21:

I'm thinking of buying an 8FG super but I'm worried about the price of receivers. Are there any cheapo receivers that will work with this transmitter? I'd be willing to bite the bullet for my large gliders but I have so many planes it would cost £1000 plus to upgrade all my receivers.

Thanks,

John.

there are a number of compatable receivers that cost about half of the futaba ones available

I have this transmitter and its fantastic. But one thing to have in mind before buying one is it seems futaba are phasing out the FASST system in favor of S-FHSS and future bind and fly models will be fitted with S_FHSS receivers.

But as a bonus you may find the 8fg at a reduced price (it pays to shop around)

hello john-i was in the same position as you wanting a new TX(2.4)....and having been a Futaba user all my rc life 30 years...decided to look at futaba-the price or the fasst rx's put me off--- i had a look at the new sfhss(T8j) futaba tx...and found that the programmed mixes wern't what i needed for glider's(no 4 wing servo mix).....so after looking at a friends Aurora A9...i bought one and would reccomend you have a look at the sets.....it's on offer again c/w a 'free' extra RX....

ken  anderson ne..1.......A9 dept

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/09/2012 07:44:20

I'm retired too Ken so dosh comes in trickles, not waves. I've decided I don't need bind and fly Futaba as I have a Spektrum DX6i for that. Besides, it's unlikely I'll find any cheap S-FHSS receivers for my everyday hacks.

I do like the 8FG but I'll check out the Aurora A9 and compare features and prices.

Where is the Aurora A9 on offer? Can you get budget receivers for it?

John Sheehy....se..1....saving up for a purse dept......

John

FRSKY make FASST compatible receivers which are a lot cheaper than the pukker Futaba equivalents and available from the usual on line suspects; I have two and they work just fine...

Like Stephen, I do find the menus a little complicated / onerous but the more I use it the easier it is becoming.... I'll be sticking with it for now.

Quite a few of my regular flying clubmates have the Aurora 9 and it seems to be very easy to use but there have been some rumoured problems with the receivers and somewhere in the forum there are threads on that....

Jon

hello john-check out the airtec site at the top right hand corner on the forum page here....also have a look at the hitec pro 7...£180.00 c/w 2 rx's ....and its a brand new set - has the same software/mixes etc as the A9...def worth considering......optima rx's -£25.00/ish...... 7 channel hitec rx's .... £30.00/ish.......i've been using mine on gliders/electrics and ic ...no problems to date....... i know of two other user's in our club who are happy with the A9's also.....

ken anderson....ne..1 A9 pensioners dept ...

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/09/2012 13:16:30