Help me get my enthusiasm back

r6dan

Advert

It all started after i lost the Acro Wot due to "something" failing, i dont know what it just went in!

H'mmm I think we all know that feeling......I lost three aircraft in one day once. That really tests your enthusiasm....

I think Mr Grigg may have a point.....sometimes it all gets just a bit too serious & we need to rediscover our roots.....

I recently "rebuilt" my Wot 4 which I had smashed up. Its more of a Wot 3 & a half now. I stuck an old engine in it & some servos out of the drawer & used as my winter hack.....it owed me nothing & I really wasn't bothered if it went in or not......it was great to just get back to basics, thrashing an aeroplane around the patch....sticks in the corners.....full chat until the tank runs dry....more smiles per pound than anything else I own......

But do you know what......I enjoy flying it so much I'm now actually afraid of crashing & losing it.....

Maybe what you need is a simple high performance hack you can thrash the wotsits off & not care if you bend it......

I forgot about that post... sorry Tim
I need to get the arising star back out and hammer that about until i get the Extra Wot finished...

I've found that a variant on Stephen's idea works well. Recently I "acquired" a ParkZone Extra 300 foamie. Its only little, about 3 foot span or so, and its just so much fun! You can throw it about without any fear - basically it bounces! - you can do things you wouldn't dare do with a bigger "more precious" model. Its easy to run - just a 3s lipo and your tranny - no messing about you can just sling it in the back of the car, you don't have to assemble it at the field.

Treat yourself - and rediscover the shear fun of the hobby. Find your "inner child"!

BEB

I've been building and flying models since I was 11 years old in 1973.

There have been long gaps in between when I have not been an active flyer - but the bug never leaves you. I would always buy RC mags in a WHS whilst travelling on business - even if it was in French!

Maybe people who come to model flying in recent years don't have that same deep rooted passion that only an apprenticeship of 1/8th square and balsa cement stuck to the tips of your fingers can give.

Personally, I always give myself mini-challenges. Can I fly a short IMAC pattern I have dreamt up, rather than aimlessly thrashing around. I seek out new sites - especially with the gliders. I take my electric gliders for cross country flights - combining an hour's walk along a safe route with the chalenge of keeping the thing in sight and scratching around for lift - using the motor as a last resort.

Over the years I have found that I hate crashing. I wrote off my Formosa last month and it was my first crash in around 20 years. Okay - it was only a £50 electric foamy - but I just hate crashing! so that is always my number 1 motivation - always return home with the model!

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 11/08/2011 21:41:18

Get yourself something 2nd hand and cheap and thrash it round the sky, as previously suggested. I've done just that with a starmax panther and its now the model I turn to before a few other (much more expensive and better flying) models.
It's such a release flying something you have no emotional attachment to....and actually I think my flying is better for it as I am more inclined to try stuff out with it.

Hi, I have to agree with Ed D,
get yourself a cheap trainer, fit a cheapie engine and fly it, and i mean fly it, take it up high, cut the throttle and glide and land at your feet, take off after a very long full power run and pull straight up, roll it and roll it and roll it just until you have enough time to pull out before hitting the deck, literally just throw it about and i promise the excitement and fun will come flooding back.
Too many of us have aeroplanes that we will be sad to loose so we don't fly them as well as we could, fly something cheap and enjoy yourself.
Regards
Chris.