Beginner slope soarer

Hi Folks,
I have just moved from Southampton to Garway Hill in Herefordshire. Today I decided to take my daughter for a walk up Garway Hill Common to fly a kite and to my delight I discovered several people slope soaring. Fantastic, I have a soaring site right on my doorstep.

Which now leads to the inevitable question, what soaring model would suit a beginner soarer? I have a Tutor 40 with a standard 6EXP 2.4ghz, so I can reuse my receiver, but I believe I will probably need new smaller servos. From reading various posts, a lot of people recommend the Multiplex Easyglider Pro, but these are fairly old.  Is there a newer model that is suitable?

The glider needs to be fairly docile as I will probably be flying on my own most of the time as I work from home, so if the wind is in the right direction I can have an extended lunch break and walk up the road.

However, I have a further requirement if it possible. Is it easy to switch a glider from electric powered, to clean unpowered. I know you can get folding props but I would prefer to be "clean" when soaring.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Edited By Michael Baylis on 14/08/2011 21:17:38

Edited By Michael Baylis on 14/08/2011 21:25:09

Advert

Michael, I wasn't up there today but understand from others that it was a good day.

The Easy Glider is OK, but works best in light winds, if you are looking for something to fly when the wind gets up then the Wildthing is good starting point and is one that is often flown on Garway. Being EPP it's pretty tough as well.

There are few others who fly during the week, so if the wind is in the direction then you'll probably not be on your own.

Your Futaba 6 EXP 2.4 will be fine

Michael I was there yesterday but flying I think when you were talking to Geoff or Tim. Agree with the Wildthing, that's what I bought when first flying at Garway. I warn you tho, it's a slippery slope to bigger things

If you drop a msg (via PM), I'll happily add you to our "slope" email that goes out most weeks discussing where and when we'll be flying (generally at Garway if it's a W/NW/WSW or further afield if not).

Also a few of us have battered (blame Timbo, the combat king!) WT's, happy to let you have a fly if you're coming up.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally retrieved my RC gear from Southampton and have now completed building the Wildthing. I "thrown" it in the garden a few times and am surprised how docile it appears to be.

The wind looks like it is going to come from the west on Wednesday at Garway, so I may be having an "extended" lunch and pop up there to try it for real. The only possible hitch is that I converted my transmitter to mode 2 and this will be my first flight! however, the 6m throws in the garden has proven to me that mode 2 is more natural. Only went mode 1 because all my previous instructors were that way inclined.

I shall let you know how Wednesday goes. I'm more than a little excited.

Well, the airports were reporting WSW wind so thought I would have a go at the maiden flight. And......... it flew, and crashed, flew and crashed and well, a few more times. All I can say is, thank you guys for recommending the Wildthing, I was not worried at all about the crashes, after the first one.

After struggling a bit to gain height and with the trims, I managed a couple of flights that lasted a few minutes. In the end I decided there was too much south in the wind for the slope I was standing on and I should move round a bit more. Except there was a tractor over there cutting the heather and I didn't really want my model disappearing into the blades

So I persevered and managed to learn a lot. And then, the wind went round more the west and wow, how much easier is that Managed a few "longer" flights.

Sorry, Ken, I'm hooked. So much nicer than worrying about fuel levels.

The wind is supposed to move more to the west tonight, so I will be up there again tomorrow for lunch. So nice living only 1.5 miles from Garway Common.