Tony Nijhuis Typhoon

PhilO

Hi

Have just joined this forum as there is something which slightly annoys me.

I saw the plan and article for the TN Typhoon and it was an immediate "must have".

I noted on the web that there was a problem with the planscale, but no worries as I was going to build from the laser cut components from Slec. This duly arrived with a new plan on good quality paper.

Why then was there a notice in the pack to say that a finishing pack was also available for further 54 quid? This could also have been shown on the advert as an optional extra and ordered to arrive at the same time so saving both time and postage.

As an aside, this seems a fairly mighty beast for a .61 4-stroke or .56 2 stroke as recommended. Does anyone feel the same?

Phil

Phil, Hi and welcome

I assume you bought direct from SLEC and not from our plans service? Tony sells his plans via SLEC so not sure what you bought but I assume they're quoting for the full wood pack to finish the model?

We don't sell wood per se, just the CNC selection and vac formed parts/canopy mentioned in the magazine article.  

David.  

Thanks David,

I ordered the pack and mouldings from the number advertised in RCM&E.

The procurement chain seems a bit complicated but no matter who supplies what, I do think that it should have been noted in your mag that the finishing pack as well as the CNC pack were available, in the same way that you mention that the mouldings are available as a separate option.

In spite of this minor niggle, I look forward to building this beauty over the winter.

Regards

Phil 

So what is the CNC wood pack then ???one from RCM&E

thought that was full parts pack ?wood i mean

does that mean getting more wood then to finish it off ????

or am i looking at this wrong is the CNC wood pack all the wood to finish plane

if so like flytilbroke says getting very expensive and should have told you this in mag!?!

Guys,

The CNC pack was never ment to be anything more than an aid to building the plan. Some builders will prefer not to buy the pack and cut all the parts themselves from the plan. Most however are pleased to take up the CNC option. When I design a model the number of CNC parts can vary greatly from one model to another. For example the Spitfire was simple enough to be able to include fuselage sides and the tailplane in the pack. The Typhoon is more complicated and relies on the builder to 'roll plank' the fuse from sheet stock and traditionally build up the tailplane, consequently all you can supply are CNC cut are ribs, and formers. As SLEC cut the packs and send them out on behalf of RCM&E, they thought it helpfull to give the builders the option of buying the remaining sheet stock. Again with most plan builders, they tend to have stocks of wood and most prefer to hand select at shows and local model shops.

For the future I think the packs should be refered to 'Former and Rib' CNC packs...then there's no confusion 

tony      

Chaps,

The model only has to be as expensive as you want to make it. Certain parts like the vac formed cowl & canopy you do need to buy, but the CNC pack can be easily reproduced by hand in a couple of sessions, I've got it all practically marked out ready for cutting this morning. As for a finishing pack, it won't contain any more pre cut parts, just planks & strips you could easily pick up down your LMS.

The CNC packs are a great help in saving time and providing accurately cut parts to give you a quick start, I have used them on some complicated builds for that reason. But if cost is an issue try cutting the parts yourself, and selecting your own finishing stock locally, it will work out a lot cheaper

Walts 

Well, my little missive seems to have given rise to some discussion.

It was not the cost or even the extra waiting for the bits to arrive that bothers me, but the fact that the availability of all the components were not advertised together.

As a busy construction manager with limited building time available (models that is), I welcome the availability of good quality pre-cut parts. If all the bits are advertised and priced in one bite, we can decide for ourselves whether the package is good value or not for the money.

Happy landings

Philo

I guess the issue is that the RCM&E Plans Dept is Just that.....plans and canopies only.

Generally only my plans are offered with a CNC pack because I push the idea with them. Any further addition such as wood pack, accessories bought though the Plans dept just wouldn't be entertained.

I agree that if modeller are made aware at the time thought my article that additional wood is availiable through a third party (SLEC), then you could order via SLEC at the same time. My guess hear is if I don't tell you, no one will.. unitil you receive the goods from SLEC that is.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have bought the cnc pack and cowl, spinner and canopy and have just started the fuse.

As I want to put in a bigger 4 str. than .61, I  need to get the cowl as far forward as possible, so I thought I would trial fit the cowl support ring, just by offering it up to the untrimmed cowl. It doesn't fit!!! It seems too tall and the waist is too low.

I have spoken to Roly at the Vac formers and he is sending one to SLEC to see if there is a problem.

Or am I missing a trick?

Tony

Tony W,

I have to agree with Tony N. I actually found the cowl, well the second one good enough to highlight the fact my nose ring was wrong! as the ring I'd cut didnt come close to fitting the cowl. But when i checked it over the plan again i found that the paper patern i had cut had obviously distorted when i glued it to the wood. I recut another ring and initially found the same problems as you. But once the cowl was cut from the carrier sheet it did indeed become very flexible and was easy to mould to the ring. The important bit is to make sure the ring is the correct shape to fit F1

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/walts_1/Typhooncowl.jpg

The first cowl i received had a few moulding issues, and Sarik were good enough to replace it with out fuss. If you are reading this Roly I am going to return the original cowl, i just haven't been out this week..............Too busy building the Typhoon

Cheers,

Walts.  

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I finally got my hands on the mag with the Typhoon plans included as i've been looking out for it for a while, and was pretty excited to start building it,  till i read that there is an issue with the plans.....

This is a real pain... I was intending to order the canopy+cowl etc, but i was going to start the build and have it ready for when the parts arrive. now it's a no go.

That, and the ordering system for these parts for international customers who cannot call the dept is a real a major effort. I've never found it so hard to order items and give people my money before! Sorry for venting, but i'm kinda disappointed over this.

Any chance RCM&E can get an easy to use ordering system? i checked the current offering but was unable to find just the canopy, cowl, and spinner offerings

thanks

Dave

• 1 year later...
Hello all,
I haven't been following the online builds of the Typhoon so I was a bit out of touch with the free plans being out of scale.  I pulled the magazine plans out the other day and took some measurements in preparation for building and the plans are undersize as has been prevuiously noted.  Are the correctly sized plans available?  I have motor, lipos and retracts waiting. 

I'll toss the 60-sized VQ Sea Hurricane onto the bench in the meantime I think.

Regards,
Mike

• 5 weeks later...
David-- Thank you for the quick service. Just waiting on a return email from the ordering girls. In the meantime I have been working on the VQ Sea Hurricane putting lights into her before final assembly. I also had the 56" span Typhoon plans reduced to a 48" span which I intend to use to build a parkflyer sized Tiffie. I think that it'll build well as a composite foam and wood model. If I can get my mits on a block of foam thick enough I'll hot wire cut the wing sections and build the fuse from FFF. Makes for a nice light model. Mike