Galaxy Magician builders

Phil 9

Advert

No need to apologise for not liking the mod, Lee - we've all got different tastes, and that rearward canopy does give the model a unique look. In fact, people have said my version looks like a taildragger Gangster. I like it though, and I tell myself it must improve the knife-edge!

As for how it was done Andrew, I just made a new half former to sit at the back of the revised cockpit position, reduced the length of the forward top decking, and made new rear decking from material I had to hand. The cockpit moulding is flexible enough to fit the slightly wider top deck. The undercarriage mod is fairly obvious from the photo, the wire goes up into drilled blocks glued to the sides and former. This mod is well worth doing.

Given the choice, I'd go for the modded version. Much better lines and balance with the canopy a couple of inches forward of the original, which just looks tail-heavy and ill-proportioned.

IMHO, of course...........but then I like my models to look vaguely credible!

Pete

Looks good Trevor - a bit like a taildragger version of the Pegasus
Firebird ?
Lee - I haven't built a Domino but the instructions in the other Galaxy
kits I've built (about 6) were concise but adequate in my opinion, when used
in conjunction with the plans where necessary - which is as intended
isn't it?
The Bullet is a great model & PB deserves great credit for reintroducing it
(& the Bean), but the kit has a single sheet of quite poorly written
instructions & a reduced size plan. The CD of construction photos just about
excuses it.
The Bean's instructions need updating to reflect the contents of the current
kit.

nicely built though trevor!!!
Pete B i wish it was tail heavy, totally the other way around im afraid using a irvine 46

agree the instructions in the Skyliner (bean) need updating a tad but poorly written, not in my opinion, at least they are done on a word processor not a typewriter with faded font as per the last galaxy kit i built, i know some people get hung up having a proper full size plan supplied ( a lad at our club whinged about the bullet) but if its not needed why supply one, and lets face it the bullet is so stupidly simply you really dont need one, personally i would have prefered the manual in the bullet to have had some pictures in rather than on a cd, but it was a small problem and we shall say no more until next months mag hits the shelves !!!!

its a nice mod you have done although it reminds me of an old kit that was on sale many years ago, i think it was called an Improver, maybe by inwood models ??? anyone know for sure ??

prefer the old shape!!

Re. the c of g, my electric version is a bit nose heavy, too - it won't spin. I've added a little lead to the tail, but not enough, so I'll try some more. It's one of the reasons I haven't tried re-propping it for a 4s battery yet. If I was building it again I'd obviously engineer the battary bay to be further back.

Trevor,
Yes, you really need a 4S in a Bullet as ground clearance limits
prop size to 11" - so it needs to be quite high revving.
It's quite a tight squeeze up front to fit in 4S battery & esc but it all
goes in. I did need an once or two of nose weight however.
Highly recommended but try & keep the rear end light.

• 1 month later...

I thought the SC52 is roughly the same weight as the SC40 or SC46 as it has the same crankcase and is just bored out bigger...is this incorrect?

What 36 would you recomend? i'd put a 36 in the Wizard after flying it with the SC25 I still crave more speed from it.

I have an OS46LA I could use but that will drain a 6oz tank in no time and it does produce much power for a 46.

Any suggertions? I'm looking for maximum speed from the plane and good handling. I intend to keep the weight to a minimum using mini or micro metal geared servos (12-25g) close coupled in the tail and in the wing for each aileron and a lipo Rx Battery.

Edited By Tony H on 27/02/2012 15:17:00

Hi Tony,

Yes, it's a 6oz tank I've fitted, but there's plenty of room in the tank bay

for a square or rectangular x-section 8oz tank.

Incidentally, if you use your 46LA you'll need a manifold extension for

the silencer to clear the fuselage sides if mounted sidewinder.

The same will apply if you use a .36 - Just Engines sell exhaust manifold

extenders.yes

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I have just bought the Galaxy Magician and have decided to put the ASP52 in it as it weighs the same as the 40, I'm also saving weight by using 12g Metal Geared Servos and LiFe RX Battery.

I plan to put the servo's in the tail too to help with the CoG, I'll let you know how it works out. I'll probably use a 10x7 prop first.

Still lot's of building to do yet, Looking at the plans it looks like I can squeeze the yellow 9oz SLEC fuel tank in too.

Edited By Tony H on 16/03/2012 08:30:59