Galaxy Magician builders

Phil 9

I have plans for the OS46LA now, I've decided to use it in my Pegasus models Jester biplane, It's designed for a 25size engine but you can easily fit a OS46LA in it with a 9oz SLEC Tank and as LA's weigh next to nothing , it's virtually the same weight as an SC/ASP 25.

Advert

I'll be very interested to hear how it you get on with the ASP52 in your

Magician Tony - I don't think it'll hang around!

I've just bought another kit & I'm contemplating what motor to fit, so do let

us know how you get on!yes.

Any reason for using a 10x7 - would have thought an 11x6 or 7 would be more

suitable in a .52?

A 10 inch prop on a 52 !!! Oh my!! I hope your site is not noise sensitive !! Magician on a good 46 is unlimited vertical and is very quick I had major c of g problems a battery and a servo in the rear were required, and even then it was nowhere near enough !! Irvine 39 would be awesome and due to lower win loading I suspect it would fly the pants off any other combo

Thanks Lee, How much weight did you have to put on the rear of the plane with your 46 setup? I am planning to put two 12g micro servos in the tail and propably a Life Rx battery with hatch.

I could use my 46LA instead which might make sense, the ASP52 W/S weighs 503g and the 46LA W/S weighs just 367g, I think your Irvine 46 is around 403-430g but the power difference is a fair bit, the ASP has 1.8HP, Irvine 46 1.65HP and the 46LA only 1.25HP.

What would you do? I'm not buying another engine ASP52 or OS46LA - baring in mind i'm looking for speed?

The 46LA is probably the closest to a good 39 setup, not that I can find a good 39 engine anywhere to compare it too. The closest is a 36 or a 40 which are usually around 300-400g and 1.2hp to 1.4hp these days

Edited By Tony H on 20/04/2012 16:35:53

Micro Servo's might be pushing it even though the ones I plan to use are Torque 2.5kg/cm and metal geared, which for the Alierons at least would technically be safer than one standard Torque 3.4kg/cm Servo in the middle of the wing.

I take your point though, I may consider 22g Mini Digital metal geared servo's (Torque 4.0kg/cm) for the Elevator/Rudder and possibly Alierons. If I mount them in the tail I can offset the weight of the ASP52.

I'll probably use an 11x7 Prop on the ASP52 - now you mention the noise factor.

Edited By Tony H on 22/04/2012 08:31:45

Edited By Tony H on 22/04/2012 08:32:26

You know what? I'VE NEVER BUILT/FLOWN A MAGICIAN!!! or the Mystic and the Wizard...

On the light of this, just decided to order the Magician from Galaxy. Seen the Mystic turn up at swopmeets, but have quite a few engines that can fit. Probably just a LA46, being light and powerful.

I did/sort of have/had the Scorpian Twin. Flew ok, but was damaged badly, also underpowered on the .25 engines. Re-used the wing again on a O/D hand-launch jobbie. Have the original Scorpian twin, single fin, which flew loads on 2 x 15FP's but now tatty and in the loft.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 22/04/2012 09:09:23

Nice one Paul,

I've been flying my Wizard for a while now, and have just bought the bigger Magician. The Wizard flys great once in the air, my strip is grass and quite short, the Wizard sometimes struggles to lift off before the end of the strip when there is no head wind (due to small wing area and a fairly heavy wing loading).

Galaxy/Pegasus say the engine should be size 15-32 sized and I was using a SC25, I've now upgraded to a SC32 to try to get it off the ground quicker. I had a very close call with a bush at the end of my strip the other week, missing it by and inch!

The Magician I have been planning to make as a quick plane that jumps into the air nicely. The 46LA is very underpowered for a 46 engine but is also very light weighing about the same as most 36 sized. I'd imagine it would fly well on it though, I will probably still try the SC52 though, if I can't balance it without adding too much tail weight then I will resort back to the OS46LA.

Edited By Tony H on 22/04/2012 09:22:03

Some people say the LA's are under-powered. Got a 40 LA in a old Tuccano, kit-built, and almost lost the airframe on a fast pass, the tailplane started to flutter. Only needs 1/2 power most of the time. Got spare SC 52's, Kangke 50, Tiger Shark 40/46's, as well as some OS 50SX's, which I'm leaning to using...

• 1 month later...

I've just aquired a ASP36 MKIII from just engines and i;m considering taking Lee's advice making the Magician really light, do you think this would fly better than with the SC52?

I like Speed but I have a short grass strip to take off from so I really need it to jump into the air.

I know you like your speed tony but the magician is not really about speed, if you want speed there are other models that will fill that void for you, the magician for me is about smooth aeros with a bit of a turn of speed when required thats why if i built her again i would leave the 46 in the drawer and fit a smoking 36 and keep her light!!

• 3 months later...

I have a Magician. I built it 20 years ago and still fly it from time to time. It has had quite a variety of engines in it over the years as I tend to use it as a hack for testing rebuilt engines. It started out with an OS40FP then an ASP 53 then an OS40LA and finally an Irvine 40. In my opinion, a 40 is more than powerful enough. Pleased to see the kit will remain in production despite the demise of Galaxy Models.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,, I've bought the Galaxy (now My Hobby Store Mystic) which is the big Magician. Does the undercarriage really fix on the wing side of the former? The first heavy landing it will bwnd into the wing surely? Has anyone fixed the undercarriage the forward side of the former?

My only bad point on the kit so far is that I have to buy extra wood and a metal engine mount for a 90 size engine - which is what it's sold for!

Hi Paul,

The Magician undercarriage does indeed fix onto the wing side

of the former & I would imagine the Mystic will be the same.

I've had the legs bend back a little on heavy landings but never

had any damage to the wing.

I'm currently building a Magician for electric power & have changed

the u/c arrangement as below :

dscf0248.jpg

The u/c is an Alpha Wing fibreglass job, fixed to a 1/4" ply plate

with captive nuts & M6 nylon bolts.

Thanks Richard, a better idea. I think a Mystic with a 90 engine in it would be asking a lot from the original single leg wire arrangement. It would be a shame to batter the wing with the u/c in the event of an overenthusiastic landing. The Mystic comes with spats so I will have to think whether or not I use them.

By the way does the Magician come with a full size plan or the truncated version?

i had a mystic with a ST 90...lovely model.....on its maiden flight the engine stopped and it just floated on over the landing strip........nice model...vice free........around the same time i saw a one with a zenoah 23cc petrol engine.......i sold mine because of the size of it...with hind sight wish i hadn't....

ken anderson...ne..1 ... hind sight dept...

Kev, your plan looks full size. The Mystic plan isn't and for example you have to guess where to fit the engine mount on F1 because there is no help from the plan. What I've tried to do is scale up the measurements from an approx 1/2 scale plan view. I'd like to get hold of a copy of the Magician plan.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been building mine, which I got a while ago. Going to spray it, and started now with black underside. Covered in clear 'tex and will be black underside, with red stripe, purple on top, with yellow/white splinters. Purple, 'cause purple is usually associated with Magicians...

However, I noticed that the cowl  was missing. Great, first British kit I get, and they didn't put the cowl in the box. Being I bought it from Galaxy, would have to buy one now...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 06/12/2014 14:10:57