Galaxy Magician builders

Phil 9

Advert

Rudder is THE most important control surface of all a push pull is used as it is easy to fit has very little slop and is very precise as for the magician I used a servo in each wing as the room in the fus is a little tight and fin does go through the top sheeting onto the tailplane if your a subscriber the digital archive is where you will find my magician review from last year ( I think)

PB...Yes, 'modern' piano wire does seem to be more ductile than the 'proper' piano wire of old. The new stuff has a ground finish compared to the original cold-drawn natural finished wire.

If you put the wire in a bench-vice and hit it with a hammer and the hammer doesn't spring back and hit you in the face, then it's the new stuff.

l managed to pick up some 'proper' piano wire from Balsa Cabin at the Nationals - worth giving them a try.

Sparks - bruised face dept.

• 4 weeks later...
I would just cut out a small section of balsa skin around the damage and refit a replacment infill of same size balsa. Looks like its towards the TE or the wing to curviture is not that great. With a bit of sanding and filler, you will not notice the repair.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 26/10/2011 21:57:49

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 26/10/2011 21:58:20

• 2 months later...
Just found this thread! I had a Magician 20-odd years ago and it was a great flier. I decided I fancied a kit after lots of ARTFs so bought another last year. I modded it in the same way as the first one, as follows: the U/C design is rubbish so I glued in a piece of grooved U/C block in the appropriate place, and fitted two torsion bar legs, ie they come up to the fus at the normal angle, then cross it and go up through 90 degrees into blocks. The other mod was to move the cockpit forward using extra balsa decking - I prefer the look.
As I'm all electric now, I fitted a 3s 400W setup, which gives it adequate performance without being ballistic. The battery bay will take a 4s if I want more. It flies a treat and has no vices. With the electric motor the nose is much sleeker, and the ABS cowl is not an issue. It's covered in two colours of Oracover/Profilm.
Highly recommended, but as the RCME review says, the plan and instructions are pretty dire!

Sounds interesting Trevor - do post some pics if you have any.

Regarding the plan - unless it's been re-drawn in the 12 years since
I bought a Magician kit I have to disagree that it's dire!
Although not a modern CAD job, I found it to be well drawn & detailed
with useful build drawings included on it as well.

Thanks, Tim. I think I worked it out when I clicked on the "Album" tab. Let's try:

This shows the cockpit moved forward
Above is my U/C mod - only just noticed my untidy cooling duct!
Battery bay - 3000 3s installed, but there's room for a 4s if I want more urge.
Head on view showing sleek nose - no glow protrusions like its predecessor in the 80's!

Oh come on what? Most sane people agree the instructions in galaxy kits leave a lot to be desired, the ones in the domino are horrendous, half the reason they have full plans in the kits is so you can figure it out, and thats a good decision from galaxy the 2 pb models kits I have built don't have them and they don't need them, so why should they supply them?