Ripmax Spitfire

Tim Mackey

Advert

First thing to say is that after any crash always search for - and collect - ALL bits of the remains. When you have it home, and in the cold light of the following day, after doing any post crash investigations that you can, try and piece back together as much as possible, using tape, or spots of cyano etc. If its foam, beware non friendly cyano
Obviously, the difficulty depends on the amount of damage, but I have often heard people cry "its a write off - its impossible to repair ARTFS because there is no plan" etc.
Sometimes, these so called write offs need nothing more than a good hard look, plenty of thinking time, and few basic tools and skills to get them back in the air.
I usually  take photos, and also try to find as much photo evidence of what she used to look like before the arrival, - the WWW and Google is your friend here.
Next, I trace around any significant parts on to thin card templates, improvising as best as possible when bits are missing. In this case, one whole side of the front end section was missing, so I simply made a mirror image of the "good" one. Then cut out your card pieces, and trial fit them - you may need to splice, or overlap new sections onto remaining good material - in this case, I used the remains of the front side areas.
After a few trial runs with the card templates, shaving and trimming /adding here and there, trace onto your chosen material ( in this case ply ) cut out ( a bandsaw / fretsaw or similar is very handy here ) - and temporarily attach into place.
Then I made the front firewall card template, and attached it to the sides, aligning up the motor thrustline as best I could. A hole was marked for propshaft line, via "cross hairs" on the whole piece.
I replicated the fixing tabs as best I could, ensuring structural integrity, and also allowing a dry fit of all parts before the PU glue was brought out.
Once I was happy that it was looking right, I glued the side pieces in place - holding there position with two small temporary screws. Once dried ( overnight ) I removed the screws, and drilled two 6mm holes right through the pieces ( and through the original material underneath too ) and glued in some short stubs of 6mm dowel. These would act as securing pegs. These were than sanded flush.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/09/2011 14:15:37

I then made small pieces to fit the top and bottom sections, allowing for the necessary space around the revolving motor. Cooling holes, slots, and corners were removed, to maximise airflow. Everything was slotted together "jigsaw style " PU glue applied, and clamps fitted all around, and left to dry overnight. Next up, sand all corners smooth, remove excess glue and material ( dremel sanding drum good for this ), and were good to go. A bit of fibreglass and resin was used to patch up an old cowl, trial fitted, and new screw holes marked - use pieces of card taped to the fuselage sides, mark where the fixing block holes are - onto the card strips - and then slide on the cowl UNDER the card strips. Mark through the holes in the card onto the cowl, and Roberts your fathers brother.
I'll post pictures in a few minutes.

First up, the damage.
She went in hard, as seen by the mud which FILLED the airflow spinner.

Luckily, damage was confined to the frontal area only

Card templates traced around ply sheet and cut out with fretsaw.

Here we see the remains of motor box taped up alongside the beginning of the repairs - side pieces are temporarily fitted, and card firewall is fitted.

Sides are temporarily attached with screw after aligningment.

All parts fettled to shape, and clamped and glued over-night

First look after removing clamps.

After sanding and final shaping /smoothing, motor is trial fitted.

Cowl patched resprayed and model re-assembled

Good as new.

• 11 months later...

Well Tim, at least you crashed it, my motor mount fell apart in mid air!!

SLIGHTLY off topic, but of the many threads on this plane, this was the latest dated one that dropped out of a search for "Ripmax Spitfire".

Just went to the Ripmax website to look at the MANUAL for this plane.

English website, English link, PDF Manual in GERMAN ONLY.

Ripmax at their best............................as always............................