DX6i Control reversal problem

Steve Houghton 1

If max travel in flap screen doesnt give ou the amount you need, then the workaround is to increase aileron and flap channel travel adjust back up to 100%, then, in the dual rate settings, reduce the aileron travel amount in "high" position to a lower percentage,
This should then allow high flap throw, but reduce ailerons throw.
The DR screen is like a second chance to adjust travel, without actually using travel adjust screen IYSWIM

Steve, as Tim says

- Use travel adjust to set the max mechanical throw for each servo (i.e. to stop binding)
- Use Dual Rate (& expo) to set the aileron throw required on both high and low rates
- Use differential to set ailerons up if you want more up than down (or vice versa but not something I can see you needing)
- Use flaps to set the flaps position for normal and landing and also any elevator compensation

If you then wanted proportional spoilerons you could then mix throttle with flap to move the ailerons together as the throttle stick is moved.

• 12 years later...

Not sure if this is relevant as I'm having issues reverse or invert aileron on my dx6i transmitter. My problem is push stick right plane tilts left and I've tried swapping servo combo around on receiver. Plane is only 3ch has aileron, flaps and throttle (freewing lippisch p.15 64mm jet). I've tried double reverse on both channels and looked on YouTube and searched google. Nothing that helps me. 

Welcome, note also from your post, aileron, flaps, throttle isn’t right. Won’t fly.

You meant or should be saying ailerons ( pl), elevator, throttle. 
when you find the wing tail mix, Instruction book consult, you get 2 elvon settings, ( means ELeVator and ailerON on one control surface), you get an a or b option. One reverses the elevator. Make sure, choose the option to get it correct. Trial and error. 

Don's point is very important - however I cannot see any mention of a or b in the DX6i instruction book. ( Wing Tail Mix is on page 12 ) So I assume the normal elevator reverse/normal setting would apply, same with aileron.   As Don says trial and error - essential to get it right before flying.

From memory, I recall v tail in two versions.

To be sure, I’ve just looked on my DX 9, I can’t think this is different from the dx6i.

menu, system setup,

aircaft type,

select “wing  menu”, scroll to eleven, or one click of the scroll wheel further along, elvon B. One  or the other will do you. 

Actually Don it appears the DX6i is different - the manual says   " use individual functions such as servo reversing, sub trims etc for each servo to achieve correct control surface movement. "

It's easy to find online manual and I found the Spektrum site gave a clearer DX6i manual than the paper copy supplied with my TX.     A diagram on the online manual shows for Elevon Wing Connection   -  Aileron servo port for left aileron servo   and then Elevator port for right aileron servo.   This is what Spacey should try if it's not what he has done already.

Spacey - try the above connections  - if it still doesn't work properly I will try the above on a spare memory on my DX61 to see whether it works with a Spektrum Rx.    But of course it may depend on the Rx, so state the Rx you are using.

Edited by kc

Well I have just tried it with my DX6i and a previously unused memory and a brand new AR410 Rx .   Set the Elevons to ACT and tried it with a spare wing with 2 servos each plugged as the instructions............and it does not work!    My Tx is Mode 1 and it seems to revert to Mode 2 ( that is to say the right stick which is normally throttle on my Tx )  now works the elevator instead!   ( Note I did not change the Mode setting and I am not going to)

So clearly something is wrong - my Tx was perfectly OK before.    Frankly I will give up as I don't want to change anything else on my TX - I will just set up a normal ( rudder, elev, aileron& throttle) model tomorrow.  

I give up and conclude that Mode 1 doesn't work with this elevon setting.   ( it may be a question of swapping the channels around for it to work on Mode 1  or maybe it needs to be set to elevons and then set Mode again)

If Spacey gives us further info about which Mode he uses,which Rx  and which channels he plugged the servos into then no doubt someone will find the answer............

Well I rechecked the servo connections and found that yesterday I had put the servo into wrong socket!  ( late at night and tired!) So I corrected this error.

When I correctly ( according to the online manual) selected Elevon - ACT and plugged Left servo to channel2 -aileron-  and Right servo to channel 3 - elevator it should work as elevons but it doesn't!      It may be because its just a 4 channel Rx?    Or because it's Mode 1?

Shouldn't be anything to do with it but for the record my DX6i is the last type sold in UK  -DSMX only to comply with later EC regulations.

I found that by putting left servo into channel 2  and right servo into channel 3 on my Mode 1 Tx it had the ridiculous action of aileron stick right or left operating the elevator!   However by reversing elevator in the memory it gave elevons with ailerons on correct righthand  stick and elevon elevator on left stick.........however with reversed action of both controls ( up is down and left is right )   Obviously no good.  Only way seems to be to change it mechanically - by using the opposite side of the servo horn just as in the old 'pre reversing switch' days.

Frank, did you encounter any reversed action with Mode 2?

Don,  there seems to be no other options for Elevon with my DX6i  - either INH or ACT, nothing else.

KC, just seen you post, try swapping the channels over and then set the channel direction to make sure the elevators work in the correct sense.

Just to confirm on the model, the servos are mirrored, i.e. the servo arms are outboard (or inboard) on each wing? (I assume the servos are the same)

You are correct there are no other options on the Dx6i, so it's just a matter of swapping servo channels and setting the servo directions to get the correct result.

As will see this was really an effort to solve the problem that new member Spacey posed yesterday.   I got a spare ordinary wing ( with 'mirrored' servos) out of the workshop and tried to see if the manual was right.  I couldn't make it work late last night but made an error by connecting right aileron servo to channel 1.  Moving the aileron stick left or right moved the throttle!    Corrected that today but still didn't work properly.

Anyway the problem is finally solved .   By putting right aileron in channel 2 and left aileron in channel 3 ( opposite of manual - thanks for the idea Frank ) it works. ( on Mode 1 )  And by looking at the elevator reversing menu there is also the tiniest mark on this little tiny screen almost invisible and that is the A or B setting that Don mentioned.  Hardly visible!   It's just a mark that is top or bottom.   Changing that gets correct direction.  

Spacey, this should help get your model right.    If there is still a problem ask again and no doubt the experts like Frank & Don will have some further advice.