Small Diesels

Chris  Channon

Posted by Formtex1947 on 16/05/2017 09:38:01:

Hello fellow diesel users, I have the age old comp screw crawl on my A-M 1 CC and was wondering
if anyone knows what thread the cop screw is on the "green Head" to allow me to obtain a tap to make a suitable locking device?

Would appreciate any help or advice.
Regards
Richard

Advert

One solution is to tap it out bigger but tap it on the tight side Up to say 2B.A. I did that on a Merlin and to adjust with a cowl in place used a Cap head bolt. Another is to braze a lever onto a suitable nut, and use that as a locknut. Another old trick was to put a spring round the comp screw bearing on the lever and the head. . This tensions the screw against the thread. and stops the creep.

Posted by Formtex1947 on 16/05/2017 15:21:56:
Posted by Formtex1947 on 16/05/2017 09:38:01:

Hello fellow diesel users, I have the age old comp screw crawl on my A-M 1 CC and was wondering
if anyone knows what thread the cop screw is on the "green Head" to allow me to obtain a tap to make a suitable locking device?

Would appreciate any help or advice.
Regards
Richard

Richard

Just checked one of my AM-10s and can confirm that the comp. screw thread is 3BA.

Currently I have an ED Racer MK 2, an AM10, a PAW 1.49 a PAW 29 RC and a Marine ED Sea Otter. Only the Racer has been used fairly recently.

I started off when I was 12 with a DC Merlin, whereas both my school mates had Mills 0.75's which were much better quality. I always had problems with the Merlin which needed far more running-in time than the Mills, but behaved itself when I used Mercury 8 fuel. As I have reported before the Merlin disappeared with my Southern Dragon plane at Epsom Downs in September 1962. Someone must still have my Merlin?

Does anyone know of a metal rod or studding that I can cast alloy round then remove it later This is to rebuild a broken exhaust stub. My first engine was an AMCO .87 cc which I still have but the carb assy is missing Can anyone help.I'm not looking for a freebie .I will pay a reasonable price. I am considering converting a Mills .76 cc carb has anyone done this?

Your repair idea is genius John, but is fraught with difficulty. Just from the point of view of dissimilar materials, pouring hot alloy metal onto say, cold steel pin would verge on an eruption. It would be dangerous too.

The best metal poured plugs are sand, clay or timber, but these are impractical

A guy on the BMFA site, fits inserts for £16 if there is enough meat on the job

• 1 month later...
Posted by Denis Watkins on 18/05/2017 09:54:46:

Your repair idea is genius John, but is fraught with difficulty. Just from the point of view of dissimilar materials, pouring hot alloy metal onto say, cold steel pin would verge on an eruption. It would be dangerous too.

The best metal poured plugs are sand, clay or timber, but these are impractical

A guy on the BMFA site, fits inserts for £16 if there is enough meat on the job

I've done a similar exercise with Lumiweld using a stainless steel bar in the broken exhaust port of an OS120 FS - I believe it held OK although the clubmate I did it for left the club a little while later. Nice and clean to start with, then scratch/stir the Lumiweld pool against the head as it starts to melt, with a thin stainless rod.

I am not pouring hot metal I am using soldering techniques Denis. Heating base and offering alloy solder to the hot stub until it melts. as is described by Martin Harris above. I have done alloy welds ,also using Lumiweld or Techweld , before but not needing in past to cast a thread.Hence my query re thread size.Talking of which anyone know thread size for Magnum/O.S. 40 NVA ?

I am not pouring hot metal I am using soldering techniques Denis. Heating base and offering alloy solder to the hot stub until it melts. as is described by Martin Harris above. I have done alloy welds ,also using Lumiweld or Techweld , before but not needing in past to cast a thread.Hence my query re thread size.Talking of which anyone know thread size for Magnum/O.S. 40 NVA ?