What do you want to see in Snap, Crackle and Roll?

Shahid Banglawala

Alright folks,

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello

Those of you who follow my column, Snap, Crackle and Roll in the mag will know it's all about aerobatics.

So...is there anything you'd like to see covered or discussed in future articles? Maneuver descriptions/tutorials? Pilot interviews? Model setups? News from competitions?

All suggestions serious or otherwise...welcome!

Cheers!

Shahid Banglawala

Edited By Shahid Banglawala on 22/09/2011 23:16:52

Advert

How to's are always well received....stick movements for a particular manouever.....

I saw a great video of a Pitts Special......zooming along in level flight it almost seemed to "trip up" & do a forward roll before snapping into a lomecovak sort of gyration....how'd he do that then....

I'll see if I can find the video...

From a purely personal point - how about setting up a big leccy aerobat ? . Any hidden costs, tips or tricks (or pitfalls) before taking the plunge to go big.

Also any news on the new JetBattics (sp?) scene thats gaining popularity in parts of Europe. Turbine and high power EDF pattern machines might make an interesting read. ..have a word with your mate Mr Bruckmann

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 23/09/2011 10:44:37:
How to's are always well received....stick movements for a particular manouever.....

I saw a great video of a Pitts Special......zooming along in level flight it almost seemed to "trip up" & do a forward roll before snapping into a lomecovak sort of gyration....how'd he do that then....

Push the sticks onto the same top corner from a pull up - try it either way and see which works better. Best done on high rates as it's a stalled manouevre.

e.g.   \    \   or  /     /

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/09/2011 11:52:51

Shahid maybe you could review some of the pure Fun Flyers out there.....we used to see reviews of such planes but I can't remember the last time I saw anything like a Limbo dancer or YT Magic fun fly.....

I have a Mini Pani just coming to the top of the build list & this seems like its going to a whole load of phun.....I'm converting it to ic rather than leccy. Avicraft do several like minded machines.... Frantic, Moronic plus Mini versions of the same....

Mr Royds suggestions would be interesting too......a "locked in" tail sliding jet is always good for raising the pilots heart rate after all......

Personally I'd like to see each month a bit interpreting the previously mentioned heiroglphs for a particular maneover and then saying actually how to do the manoever.

But that's because I can do loops, slow rolls, knife edge, stall turns and that's about it.... but I want to be able to do more!

but I do suspect that such an "average-flyer orientated" bit might be of interest to the majority of flyers who regardless of how much they want to be Hanno Pretner (showing my age now huh?) would be most interested in improving their day-to-day sports aerobatics flying.

Just my £0.01

Posted by Doug Ireland on 23/09/2011 10:40:47:
An explanation of the hieroglyphics of an aerobatic routing would be nice.
Is it an explanation of Aresti you're after Doug which is the international system used in full size aerobatics and IMAC in the modelling fraternity or the ribbon diagrams which I think are still used in F3A pattern ?

I normally pass the column by.

That's not meant to be insulting/offensive but to put the rest of my comments into context.

I am not an aerobatic pilot, so for me I would like to see either some simple showy aerobatics I might have a go at. Maybe to try tempt me into more. The other thing might be to look at scale models and suitable scale manoeveurs they could do. Does a Mustang fly the same way as a FW 190?

These might tempt me to have more of a nosey.- they might also turn off the aerobatic pilots that do read the column.

Doug here are a couple of PDF files that you may find explain Aresti quite well it's quite an extensive subject. Shahid I'm sorry if I'm taking your topic slightly off thread.

These PDF's can be saved to your computer and saved for future reference. 

Edited By Ultymate on 24/09/2011 04:15:15

Hello all.

Phew! More responses than I'd bargained for. Let's tackle 'em one by one.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/09/2011 10:36:17:
How about the differences between pattern/precision and 3D, in terms of the model designs, trimming and training?

A good thought that! It's easy to overlook sometimes the most basic of things.

Posted by Doug Ireland on 23/09/2011 10:40:47:
An explanation of the hieroglyphics of an aerobatic routing would be nice.

By this I guess you mean Aresti? Ultymate seems to have covered that corner in his post. But it's certainly worth visiting in a future article for the benefit of the wider readership. No offense taken Brian

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 23/09/2011 10:44:37:

Models don't tend to replicate full-size gyroscopic behaviour all that well, because we generally have a smaller propeller/aircraft size ratio on our models, and our props are quite light. Full size aircraft of the aerobatic flavour have big diameter props, and being metal weigh a fair bit too. That said the some of tumbling or "Lomcevak" family of maneuvers are within the capabilities of your typical airframe, I confess I'm not that learned on the ol' Czech tumblers but I am picking it up and will be sure to pass on my findings.

Posted by Foamie Dave on 23/09/2011 11:07:22:
From a purely personal point - how about setting up a big leccy aerobat ? . Any hidden costs, tips or tricks (or pitfalls) before taking the plunge to go big.

Also any news on the new JetBattics (sp?) scene thats gaining popularity in parts of Europe. Turbine and high power EDF pattern machines might make an interesting read. ..have a word with your mate Mr Bruckmann

Big leccy, watch this space

As for the electric EDF's, it's something I don't spend time following, but if I do dig up any information expect to see it in the column. Still don't think they'd do very good stall turns though!

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 23/09/2011 12:01:47:
Shahid maybe you could review some of the pure Fun Flyers out there.....we used to see reviews of such planes but I can't remember the last time I saw anything like a Limbo dancer or YT Magic fun fly.....

I have a Mini Pani just coming to the top of the build list & this seems like its going to a whole load of phun.....I'm converting it to ic rather than leccy. Avicraft do several like minded machines.... Frantic, Moronic plus Mini versions of the same....

Mr Royds suggestions would be interesting too......a "locked in" tail sliding jet is always good for raising the pilots heart rate after all......

Funflies are great fun, but I doubt I'll be going out and purchasing a model of the funfly variety to review. That said, I did do an own-design funfly a while back that I wish to resurrect next year, so who knows!

Posted by Ben B on 23/09/2011 14:05:10:
Personally I'd like to see each month a bit interpreting the previously mentioned heiroglphs for a particular maneover and then saying actually how to do the manoever.

But that's because I can do loops, slow rolls, knife edge, stall turns and that's about it.... but I want to be able to do more!

but I do suspect that such an "average-flyer orientated" bit might be of interest to the majority of flyers who regardless of how much they want to be Hanno Pretner (showing my age now huh?) would be most interested in improving their day-to-day sports aerobatics flying.

Just my £0.01

Not a bad idea that, perhaps I could draw an Aresti diagram of a simple schedule for readers to go out and try? 

Edited By Shahid Banglawala on 24/09/2011 17:54:49

Oh darnit, looks like some of my post was cut off! Here goes again...

Posted by andy watson on 23/09/2011 23:22:43:
I normally pass the column by.

That's not meant to be insulting/offensive but to put the rest of my comments into context.

I am not an aerobatic pilot, so for me I would like to see either some simple showy aerobatics I might have a go at. Maybe to try tempt me into more. The other thing might be to look at scale models and suitable scale manoeveurs they could do. Does a Mustang fly the same way as a FW 190?

These might tempt me to have more of a nosey.- they might also turn off the aerobatic pilots that do read the column.

The column tries to cover all aerobatics, not just one flavour. Showy flying is certainly still aeros, although it's not something that crosses my mind often. Now that you've mentioned it though I'll have to chew the fat a bit, what sort of tricks do you have in mind?

Posted by Dorset flyer on 24/09/2011 00:06:45:
A prop hanging "how to" would interest me, been trying to do it for a long time on my sim and cannot get the hang (pardon the pun) of it

Long overdue methinks! Thanks for the reminder. As a first port of call, do you recall the harrier tutorial I did in one of the very early articles? I suggest you get to grips with the harrier before you dive into the prophang, it'll make things easier.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

• 1 month later...
currently i think the whole column is a bit weighted to the top end, 4D 5D how many of us do this ?? you have just done a section on split rudder and previous to that canelisers (spelt wrong) i love aerobatics but i have no interest in 100cc monsters and split rudders, as a result i do not read the column, my own approach would be one that includes some of that stuff but focuses more on models that are within the price range of average joe, how to set them up, any redundency systems, servo requirements of the slightly bigger models (30cc) a basic petrol engine setup and what is the best practice route, advice on flight modes, throttle curves, two servos operating one suface etc, the indoor stuff you already cover, so keep doing that, but bring it down a tad, we are not all bill gates, oh and tell the IMAC lads if they introduce an entry level shedule that does not require a 2:1 power ratio and a half scale model, more people might give it a go, watched them at the nats, needed binoculars and a sleeping bag!!

Hi Shahid

About 20 years ago (saying published in 1990 doesn't seem that long ago) Charles Allison and Andy Nicholls produced a book published by Argus in the 'Radio Control handbooks' series called 'Flying Radio Controlled Aerobatics'.

Although much of this is still very current, something along the lines of setting the model up and performing the various schedules etc perhaps choose one standard manouvere per month and describe how they are done.

I agree with the comments expressed above about size and cost. IMHO, RCM&E is targetted at the sports flyer and many of these think that a .61 is an obscene size for a club field! I think your column should be aimed at the pilot who wants to improve, learn to fly a tidy pattern and be confident to try something risky or daring but not necessarily wants to be a competitive pilot.

Good luck

Martyn