pusher props

fly boy3

Advert

Please shoot me down in flames if necessary , but...

Surely the purpose of a pusher prop is to reverse the thrust of a motor that always turns the same way. Hence, a tractor prop turns anticlockwise, viewed from the front of the plane; a pusher prop also turns anticlockwise, from the front of the motor (usually the rear of the plane), or clockwise viewed from the front of the plane.

If a rear-mounted motor is pointing forwards (with a suitable prop slot cut in the fus), then it will use a tractor prop and turn anti-clockwise, viewed from the front of the plane.

Surely the issue is whether a pusher prop is required with an electric motor, when the direction can easily be reversed and a tractor prop still be used, but presumably fitted backwards so that it is running most efficiently.

I'm sure there's a simpler way of saying this!

I've never used a pusher prop, so I shall willingly bow to those who have.

A little more simply..

If the motor turns anticlockwise viewed from the front of the plane you need a tractor prop. If it turns clockwise viewed from the front of the plane you need a pusher prop. This would be the case with a non-reversible IC motor.

Hence, if you reverse the direction of an electric motor you should be able to use a tractor prop, turning anti-clockwise viewed from the front of the plane. However, props work best when mounted with the front (lettered side) pointing into the oncoming air. So, a tractor prop on a reversed electric motor should be mounted with lettering towards the front of the plane.

I was just unsure if there were any technical reason why this could not be done - someone else may be able to answer.

Hi Seamus, I am trying to get some info for an electric flier who accidentally put his pusher prop (his words) on backwardsand experienced lack of thrust because of it, Needless to say I am an ic man who uses engines that go anti clock from the front and cannot be reversed intentionally. It looks as if Tim has the answer, but I think Steve needs to know why. Thanks FB3

FB3 - If the motor spins the "wrong" way, then the thrust from the prop will be in the wrong direction. The plane will then (try to) fly backwards. This is rarely successful...

If the prop is put on the wrong way round then the thrust is in the correct direction, but the prop works less efficiently so the thrust will be less than it should be. Some people used to do this deliberately when test flying free-flight models. The idea seemed to be that if the model was not properly trimmed, with less thrust it would at least arrive at the scene of the accident more slowly!