Ultra micro Stryker

• 1 month later...
Looking at buying one of these as a park flier for the local recreation ground which is not very big, one football pitch and a cricket square. I just never seem to get the time to fly larger models (put it all in the car and drive to the field) and need to get more practice in. I like the idea that you can slow them up being a delta, do they really slow up ok?
Shaun.

• 2 months later...

Getting to grips with one of these now. It's not particularly tough unfortunately. I've knocked the nose off twice now, PVA works ok if you are not in a hurry. It is however terrific fun to fly, just about vertical which teaches energy conservation, very nimble and in any sort of wind can be landed with no forward speed. Bit twitchy in the windy weather but copes very well as it has a very good speed range.

Getting to the point now where I'm not too frightened to "chuck it about" I am unfortunately a very conservative flier. Moving the battery right to the back of its tray crisps up the responses nicely, further forward than halfway and it is difficult to slow it up for a nice landing.

Mines getting a bit battered, will I buy another when it's had enough.. you know I think I will!

Shaunie

I bought a second battery when I got mine and they are both doing ok at the moment, but I cannot disagree with you £17 (I think it was) for a battery that size is ludicrous.

I only fly 5-6 mins at a time, how long do you guys set your timers for? How many flights can you reasonably expect before the batteries have had it?

Shaun

Hi David,

So do I, so I normally fly when its a bit warmer

By the way, how do you launch? I was doing the overarm power off tactic but seemed to have terrible problems getting my hand on the stick quickly enough to "catch it". I've now started doing an underarm "chuck" holding the l.e with about 3/4 throttle on and 45 deg nose up which seems to flatten out nicely at about 20 feet and then you can just climb out from there.

Shaun

I got an overlander 200MAh at the time I bought my UMX Sbach, which I believe is the same BL setup.. It has a balance AND power lead, so I charge it on my normal charger.. Was only about £7 too..

My timer is set to 6mins and uses 130-140MAh if nailed about, which it always is..

Regards the standard Lipo n charger.. You could easily make up a adaptor, with a power lead attached, that goes between the batt and a 'normal' charger,.. Would save messing with the supplied Lipo directly.. !

Infact, one of the 'multi-plug' balance adaptors would be perfic, if you find one that fits the E-flite batt.. Easy to add the power wires to, as its a pcb...

If you're not sure how, i'm sure someone could supply a nice drawing, but essentially, you just add power by tacking to the outer two balance wires, with the black one , ovbiously, being neg..

HTH's

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Tried to put a #11 keyfob camera on mine yesterday, it was always a bit optimistic. Put it on CG above the left wing by the fuselage. 60g plane 18g camera, you can tell it was never going to work. Flew it without the camera afterwards and it took two clicks of right trim just to compensate for the Velcro on the wing!

Binned it today, big spin from a couple of hundred feet (more a spiral dive, can't seem get a fully developed spin, how do I do that?) Centred rudder, centred ailerons, but put on the power before centring elevator, why did I do that? Just flicked straight into the ground as I was less than a mistake up. The glue is setting on the nose now!

I broken mine in line withe the front of the battery bay. It still flew without the nose cone!!!! Got to be one of the best planes for keeping in stick time as it flies in reasonable wind and can be flown ( if permitted) almost anywhere. But indoor is poss pushing the my limits!!!!

• 6 months later...

\just found that it is a speed brake setting . I watched the full size stryker video on Horizon hobbie. However they say remove the rudder y lead and plug one of the rudder servos into aux port. now on the UMX I need to find which socket is the aux port.

This will then allow the rudders to both turn inward on flipping the flap switch up or outward on switching the flap switch up ( maybe the other way round) this slows the model down quickly and links in the elevator to compensate. so the challenge now is to find the aux port

The extentions wont be needed as there is little room and all close to gether