Linnet Build..............SteveWO

Steve W-O

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/01/2012 13:20:45:
25% is quite a weight saving - and probably for no significant strength compromise either! Must get/make myself a set of hole cutters. Where did you get yours from Steve?

BEB

PS Nice build work BTW!

From Avicraft, but I have a problem with one, waiting to phone them. If you have access to a basic lathe, they are very easy to make, I used to make them for paper as mentioned.

Started on the tail, problem is, I don't know how I am going to make it

I was going to have fully moving surfaces, but decided against it.

The elevator is OK, but the rudder is going to be a bit on the small side.

Fortunately it sits on a pedastal that fixes to the fuselage, so I can build it all on the pedastal first.

The small fuselage next to it is the beginning of the Beguine.

It is bigger on the ground than I thought

Yes, I should have said tail fin, as it was a fee flight model it only had a small trim tab for a rudder.

I will give the rudder plenty of throw, if it is not enough, I can extend it up and back later.

The tail plane is very big, but I wanted to keep the same overall proportions, so I left it as was. I have reduced the thickness a little, and given it less top camber, which means I may have to have some down trim in to hold the tail up, hard to try ans strike a balance between what was a free flight with to speed settings, engine full or engine off, with the variables of RC. After all, it will be more RC assisted then RC, if I am going to keep the proportions, like the tail size and the dihedral. It only really needs enough control to guide it in the right direction

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 21/01/2012 11:44:38:
Yuo must have used a few jars of holes on this one Steve,must have been some spare ones you didnt need to use on the funcub

Yes, quite a few

Been busy this morning making the cabin and front deck, it all comes off for access to everything inside.
No plans, so a case of cutting and fitting as I go. I want an air intake in the top deck as well as under the motor, the basic shape is quite square, and I don't want to loose that look.

I hope to have everything finished by the Easter holidays, the Linnet, the Beguine, Rainbow and the Cessna. No harm in dreaming

Thanks Chris,

I have done more thinking than building in the last couple of weeks (all that proves is that I must be a slow thinker )

I built the tail section knowing I did not want external control horns, and slowly added bits as the setup developed, but it was only on Friday I made the final decision on how to attach the rudder to the pushrod!
The same with the fuselage, I knew what I wanted, but it has been a case of building and "designing" as I go

I think I have kept most of the shape, the original of course was not enclosed on top at the front.

My front windscreen pillars are different, to make it stronger when removing it. The basic outline is the same still though.

• 1 month later...

Well, at last it is beginning to near completion.

Eventually decided to go ahead with the "hidden" controls on the fin and tail plane, ie no horns showing. Worked out better than I had thought at one time.

I only have the radiator grill and a small panel in front of the fin (the whole tail assembly is separate to the fuselage), tighten the motor and secure the motor wires.

Then there is the covering. I wish someone would invent spray on plastic film

• 1 month later...

Well, after quite a few weeks of little motivation, I have got it almost finished.

All that is left if to tidy up the covering on the tail assembly (it is still not fitted to the fuselage), the windows, pilot and instrument panel, and the radiator grill that goes just above the prop, That just want painting black, I want the front to look a bit more dated.

The total weight including battery is 39 1/2 oz, so I am quite happy, it will have a duration of 15-25 minutes on a 2200mAh battery. I will prop it for more thrust when testing, then for duration after testing is complete. It will have thut to weight ratio of about .8 with the 2836 motor.

This years build has gone much better, I am much happier with the results.

and for comparison of what I was wanting it to look like

Posted by Big Bandit on 21/04/2012 13:05:08:

I'd be very happy with that Steve, great job.

Cheers,

Chris.

I will be rebuilding the tail section, not happy with the overall finish.

It has no hinges as such, and all the controls are inside the fuselage, but although it works well, not possible to cover well and look good.

I also have an idea I may need more rudder, so I am going to fly first, then rebuild and modify if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

The engine sound is a bit corny, and badly done, but when faced with a choice of corny engine sounds and "they're coming to take me away ha ha" or the dambusters theme, I thought the poorly done engine sounds won

When I first taxied it, I got to the shrubs, and it wouldn't turn! Picked it up, disconnected the battery and checked all the connections, rudder still wouldn't work. Couldn't think why the system would fail on one channel only.

It does of course help to move the correct stick, only being three channel, I put the rudder where the ailerons would normally be. Moving the right hand stick seems to have fixed the problem!