Throttle Probs

Dave M

Hi, I have put together a shockie today, but cannot seem to program it properly, the flt the throttle will only work in reverse, by this I mean full throttle at closed throttle stick position. It I reverse it on te tx, then it does work, but will not go below about half throttle revs when the stick is fully back.

If I try to set it up with the tx reversed, then it will not do anything but beep continously, whic I believe is an error (message. I have tried swopping the motor to esc leads around,but all I achieved there was to get the motor running backwards.

This is a set up that I have used in the past, and the difference is that I used it on a 35meg tx, and now have a spektrum dx 7, and to be honest I don't see why that should cause a problem.

I should say that I'm not that "switched on " when it comes to electric flight, if it works first time ithen cool, if not, well......

Dave

Advert

OK, Dave. I'm not an expert at this either but I've done a bit, so here goes. But I think your problem is that the ESC has not learnt the correct range of your throttle.

First get the sense correct - ie opening the throttle on the tx increases the motor speed by setting your throttle on the tx to reverse.

Then set full throttle and connect the motor (make sure no prop is attached). If all goes according to plan it should beep at you indicating that its entered "programming mode".

Finally throttle right back on the tx, it should stop bleeping and all should be well.

As I say - this is based on limited experience, but I do think that is your problem.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/11/2011 19:24:02

Hi Chaps, thanks for your thoughts, by the time I gave up, I thought I had tried every combination imaginable, and heard every combination beeds in response! I will have another go tomorrow and try your advice out with a fresh and more positive outlook, I'm sure that it is just me doing something daft.

Thanks again,

Dave

Assuming it's a computer transmitter then the best thing to do is to clear the memory you're using before setting up any new model in case there are any stray settings.

Alternatively, if you've already done a lot of setting up, check the ATV (Futaba speak) or whatever the end limits are called on your set, and ensure they are set at 100% at both open and closed throttle.

As a general rule, Futaba transmitters need the throttle reversing with ESCs but ALWAYS do initial checks with the prop left off.

You need to calibrate the ESC as per Pat's post. So reverse the throttle on the tx so it works (IE but still half throttle full back). Put the throttle fully up, attach the battery, wait for some beeps, then pull back to throttle closed and you should get the traditional ready-to-go beeps.

Hi Chaps, just to update, today i reset the model memory on the tx, re bound? the tx to rx, then put the throttle stick forward, switched on thetx, connected the rx battery, let it do the beep thing, pulled the stick back and all was GOOD.

I did it after taking the prop off this time as well, as, although I didn.t mention it, whilst playing around with it yesterday, I almost sent it across the front room at max chat, disturbing swmbo who was watching x factor idol, luckily I caught it and only chopped up a paperback that was on the table!! Still I hid that from her and I think I got away with it.
Lesson learnt tho,

Thank you to all for your replies

Dave