Who has used the Corona Fasst, Frsky, orange Rx's?

Erfolg

I am considering my options with respect Fasst receivers for use with my Futaba Tx.

At present I have 4 * Futaba 617 Fs Rx's and 3 * Orange Rx's via HK.

All work well to date, with no issues with either type.

I am now considering buying some more Fasst non Futaba Rx's.

Since my earlier purchases, there has been some changes, or apparent changes. My Orange Rx's (which were Frsky) now seem to be available as Corona Rx. Also Frsky seem to market a model which looks to have a superficially different case. Also Corona have some Rx's in there range I was unaware of.

Are some of these differences badge engineered models, for both HK and GC?

Having in use a number of Corona Rx's on 35, some synthasised and other crystal models, which I am well satisfied with, I would consider Fasst Corona Rx's. At the same time I am very pleased with the Orange Rx's from HK

Before any one suggest that I should only consider Futaba Rx's for peace of mind. Having two questionable Futaba Rx's, in my junk box along with one Sanwa, and 2 * Weston Rx's all on 35, non seem immune from problems.

Ive got 2 of the Coronas from GC and theyve been flawless, they only come heat shrink covered though not in a hard case, doesnt make much of a difference as theyve proved durable so far, ( i did plant a foamy glider in at speed ( dumb thumb incident ) with one and it suffered no damage )
and I also have 2 frsky ones in the hard case, again flawless
They are more or less the same item except the case, Bind procedure, high/low speed, failsafe etc are all identical
on GC the corona is 8 channel and frsky 4 channel, 7 channel and the 8 channel. there is also the frsky s versions too that you can parallel with another to make 14 channels but if you only need 8 the normal ones are cheaper

I've just received one of the Corona 8 channel FASST Rxs from HK & it seems OK...it bound instantly & the failsafe et al all seem to work OK. Its unflown right now due to a lack of free time (curse you Christmas shopping & DIY...) but I've no reason to think it won't work well.

I went for the Corona because I like their small 35MHz DSP Rxs (I have lots!!) I was a bit disappointed by the size of the thing compared with my Fuby R617 I have to say....mine is in a plastic case & is quite large relatively speaking.

I'm keen to try one of these as they are a lot smaller.....smaller than the R617

As has been alluded to, there does seem to be a strong similarity between the HK/Orange/Frsky 8 channel Rx, and the GC Corona 8 channel Rx. If they are the same device, it would be nice to know. Particularly as i am very happy with my HK/Orange/Frsky Rx, an alternative source would widen options.

In a similar vane, I have found the Orange Rx a little big when compared to the Futaba 617, the 4 channel Rx by Corona, would be welcome option.

At present there seems little info with respect to what is what. It seems to be a similar situation with electric motors, where the same device, comes in various colours, various brand names, labels and packaging. Or for that matter with respect some servos.

Quite some time ago i suggested that the market for Fasst Rx could be 1.2 million, which I reduced to a conservative estimate of 120,000 per year. At the time I did think that even the 120,000 estimate seemed high. I am now beginning to think that the estimate was not conservative, as all sources seem to sell out quickly, with almost perpetual back orders.

I do suspect that the competition has been good for consumers. I have paid as much as £70 per Futaba Rx, the last one purchased had dropped to £55.

Agreed....Leeds model shop is the cheapest I have found for the R617...a tad under £50..plus postage here

Not sure they are all the same though...from what I can gather the Orange FRSky & Corona are all subtly different.....I base this on the slightly different setting modes for each type.....I'm not totally sure however

One thing that frustrates me is the lack of small 4 channel Rxs......I find it a bit pointless fitting a 7 or 8 channel Rx to a 2 ch slope soarer for example.....I see that FRSky do a 4 channel Rx but it is no cheaper than the 7 channel version.....

With respect to small Rx, to some degree I understand and have had similar thoughts.

Then I start to consider how i increasingly use my Tx and set up my planes. In almost 100% of cases I now use separate servos on my ailerons, or elevons. In these instances it can be advantageous to use channel 1 and 6. For the extra weight and bulk I think 6 channels are possibly slightly better.

At the moment I have all my strictly park flyer/indoor models are on 35. I cannot see why in these cases why i would need above 4 channels, when, or if I do go to 2.4.

As these second tier Rx are very rarely discussed or reviewed in the model magazines, hearing about modellers personal experiences, helps many modellers purchase items from a position of a little knowledge.

Although i have just ordered the Frsky 8, I will give serious consideration to the 6, for my next purchase.

I am guessing that no one on this forum has purchased or used the Corona Fasst Rx?

Of course the biggest obstacle at present seems to be availability.

Posted by Erfolg on 22/11/2011 19:44:32:
I am guessing that no one on this forum has purchased or used the Corona Fasst Rx?

Of course the biggest obstacle at present seems to be availability.

Am i not on here anymore ? can anybody see me ? is there anybody there ? lol

and theres loads available from other sources if you look around

Edited By neil whilding on 22/11/2011 19:57:35

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 22/11/2011 14:12:53:

I'm keen to try one of these as they are a lot smaller.....smaller than the R617

I have one of those in my Speedo glider. There's not a lot of space in there, but the TFR6 is a nice snug fit. There's no way either the TFR8 or the R617 would have fitted - at least not without a bit of "surgery" to model or rx case! The TFR6 works fine, as does an early (shrink-wrapped) TFR8 in another glider - no problems at all.

I briefly considered the TFR4 which is smaller still, but I'm not sure if I could still have the ailerons on separate channels with a 4-channel rx.

The only reason I only have the Frsky rxs in my gliders is that I'd already equipped my power models with 617s before the "compatible" rxs started appearing.

Can you not see me at the back of the class Erfolg?? I have a Corona too...see post at the top of this very page!!!

Mine has a hard case which also overs the servo connections so it makes it quite large....I must learn to read the dimensions rather than just going off the picture.

Giantcod, & T9Hobbysports all seem to stock them along with various ebay outlets...

I've got an FrSky one in a hard case, works brilliantly , and a Corona one in HS wrap. They both function well with the exception of Ch1 on the corona which is completly US. I have simply moved the aileron from Ch1 to a spare chl on my 8FG, and not other issues to report.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
I've used several FRSKY FASST receivers with my 7C transmitter and found them to be just as good as Futaba's 617. I also converted a 7C 35mhz transmitter using the FRSKY hack module and a couple of old Futaba F16 transmitters with the FRSKY plug-in module. They work fine with the FRSKY V8FR-HV receiver, but the bind, range check and failsafe set procedures are different to Futaba's. Both systems have flown IC and electric, fixed-wing and helicopters, Most of my older models still use 35mhz though.

• 1 month later...
Finally flew my Corona FASST compatible Rx at the weekend....no issues..it behaved perfectly to as high as I could see it....(& beyond at one point...I really thought I had lost it & I'm sure I saw that jet airliner swerve.....)

So a big from me for this receiver.....binds instantly.....works well....fail safe cuts in & out rapidly.....whats not to like...?

Incidentally is it just me or do 2.4 FASST equiped models seem to respond quicker? My test mule has a very basic set up (4 cell AA battery, old analogue servos) but I'm sure it feels more positive & responsive on this Rx....

In this month's Issue, there is an article of a new Futaba S-FHSS system, Why another system from Futaba as the FHSST may appear over engineered? (that's what it says in the mag..            I need a 14 channel Rx FHSST but it's expensive and is there in an Orange or Corona systems a Rx for between a 8 channel and a 14 channels? (it's a jump for those who would require say a 10 channel Rx)

Edited By Keith Simmons on 17/01/2012 13:25:25

Edited By Keith Simmons on 17/01/2012 13:25:49

Keith

The comment on "over engineered" caused me to raise an eyebrow.

From Futaba's point of view, the phrase I think BEB has used would have been more tactful, "the Fasst system has an inbuilt capability to provide additional capability".

If the reason given of high manufacturing costs are to be believed for the FASST system, and are taken on board, it does beg the question how can Frsky can produce a similarly specified Rx, for 1/3rd the cost at the point of sale. I would have thought that Futaba, with its greater market share, would have driven down manufacturing costs below those of Frsky, particularly as they both seem to be manufactured in China. I would have thought that Frsky's manufacturing costs are higher, their lower total sales to recoup development costs. Also the cost of batch production and component costs for the much lower numbers of units would result in higher cost. Whereas Futaba could guarantee much higher unit orders, thereby obtaining better discounts.

Edited By Erfolg on 17/01/2012 13:42:19