Circlip retainer on output shaft Spitz motor

J.N.

The attached photo is a BMI Spitz 85572 Spitz Turbo 25 brushless motor.

I need a Circlip to fit the output shaft circlip groove as indicated by the pencil in the attached photo. The circlip holds the output shaft in position against the bearing in the Stator end cap. I have tried an E clip but the clip fouls the inner and outer track of the Stator end cap bearing, causing friction and drag.
I have no idea what the original fitting was (another story). The shaft is 5mm in diameter and the bottom of the Circlip groove is either 4.5mm or 4mm in diameter, I cannot be sure that the Vernier jaws are bottoming out.

I am unsure if the correct part that I need is a Spit Ring circlip or standard circlip with eyes hence the difficulty in asking the right question at the right outlet. ModelFixings.co.uk; have External Clips which may do provided the “eyes” have a low profile to avoid the stationary outer race of the bearing.
I have tried several model shop outlets but have got nowhere and hope that someone can help.

Edited By J.N. on 26/11/2011 12:47:33

Advert

hello JN...i take it that the shaft has been reversed?(not sure after looking at the link posted by martin)....if you are concerned about the motor comming adrift in the model/air.... you'll find that the prop collet assembly will hold every thing together...... i have a couple like this and have no problems with them....

ken anderson ne..1 ... no probs dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/11/2011 15:10:07

Posted by Martin Harris on 26/11/2011 13:27:27:
Silly question, but have you tried whoever imports them or from here?

I did look at the website however there is no direct email contact to the company (I believe it be in Belgium), it would appear they only "speak" to dealers. However I am more than happy to be corrected. There is no U.K. outlet listed, as far as I can make it out the nearest is in Holland or Belgium which in itself could lead to going around in circles. I am a newcomer to electric flight however I would expect motors to be of a standard (ish) design with similar parts.

If you are going to use the motor with the shaft as it is the thrust from the prop will keep the rotor in place. Only function the circlip might have is to prevent the bearing creeping forward but the prop collet Ken mentioned will limit this. If the distance between bearing & collet is enough to cause concern a suitable washer or two could be used.

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/11/2011 15:08:31:
hello JN...i take it that the shaft has been reversed?(not sure after looking at the link posted by martin)....if you are concerned about the motor comming adrift in the model/air.... you'll find that the prop collet assembly will hold every thing together...... i have a couple like this and have no problems with them....

ken anderson ne..1 ... no probs dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/11/2011 15:10:07

The motor was supplied to fit my model, if the shaft was reversed it may be the reason why the circlip is missing. I can make do by using appropriate packing in addition to the prop collet, however I much prefer to fit the appropriate item, when all is said and done it would only be 3p piece of bent spring steel.

Posted by PatMc on 26/11/2011 16:16:58:
If you are going to use the motor with the shaft as it is the thrust from the prop will keep the rotor in place. Only function the circlip might have is to prevent the bearing creeping forward but the prop collet Ken mentioned will limit this. If the distance between bearing & collet is enough to cause concern a suitable washer or two could be used.

Not sure what you mean by "keep the rotor in place".
At present the Rotor (Can?) attached to the output shaft has no mechanical fixing to keep it in close proximity to the Stator. It is only the Magnetic Flux that prevents the Rotor (Can?) from falling on the floor. In addition, at present, their is a gap of 4mm between Rotor and Stator which can be closed up by pressing the Rotor towards the Stator and overcoming the magnetic flux.